Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steak

Object » linked to 51 games

A steak is a cut of meat, usually Beef. Beef steaks can be cooked in a variety of ways, using both dry and wet cooking methods.

He looks like he's in a lot of pain. You should leave him be.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

Edited By sweep  Moderator

Inbetween working off physical extremities and moderating you chimps on the forums, I have actually managed to salvage some time over the past few weeks to play some goddamn videogames. Let's talk about them!

Participating in demo's or, as they are apparently now known, "Beta's" are opportunities which I relish and, since getting my PC a couple of years ago, have actively sought out. Being so immersed in vidoegame culture means knowing specific videogames inside-out months before they are physically available, and any opportunity to decrease the time between "knowing" and "playing" should be leapt upon. Like a rapist.

Snide is gon' find you! 
    Snide is gon' find you! 

I love Gears Of War, and you can read all about my beta impressions over here.

The Gears of War 3 beta has been thoroughly exhausted by myself and a great many other enthusiasts. I love the changes and weapon balances, the new game types, and the general refinement of the game's controls. The level design remains dynamic, the characters look and sound fantastic, and there even seems to be a much more Unreal level of humour in the game which was painstakingly absent in the previous two Epic titles. In short, I'm super excited for Gears Of War 3. However it's probably for the best that my time with the game was not overwhelming, my university workload preventing me from spending any great lengths of time signed into Xbox Live. I managed to get a few good sessions in, notably with my good friends Tanuki and Brukaoru, and also managed to unlock the retail loot like Thrashball Cole and the Golden Retro Lancer, the latter of which I will treasure and the former of which I will not. Having clocked a sizeable amount of hours with the beta already, I'm almost relieved that it's drawing to a close. I'm desperate to avoid exhausting the game before it has even been released, and playing the same 4 levels repeatedly, for experience points that shall be wiped in a matter of days, seems overtly excessive. No, it's time to slow down and back off. Whilst I do not look forward to the inevitable withdrawal once the beta ends, right now I have more pressing concerns.

No Caption Provided

Burn him!

After reading some previews of the Witcher 2, there were multiple reports of the game leaning heavily on the assumptions that players had experienced the original. The Witcher is a game that had been recommended to me many times by folks here on Giant Bomb, specifically Claude, who insisted that it would be worth a look. With the Witcher 2 looking increasingly jaw-dropping, I decided that it was probably worth £10 just to see what all the fuss was about and pick up on some of the history.  

I am not a big RPG fan.

The closest I have ever really got was getting about halfway through Dragon Age: Origins. I didn't like Oblivion, as I have blogged multiple times, and I never played Diablo or any other dungeon crawler. It's just not a virtual aesthetic that appeals to me, the closest I have come to ever really enjoying an RPG being Mass Effect of Final Fantasy. Despite that, I decided that I should at the very least attempt what was being hailed as "one of the greatest RPG games ever made" (thank you MattBodega) and, with a few apprehensive clicks, bought the game on steam.

No Caption Provided

I'm fairly embarrassed to admit that the age of the game is cripplingly obstructive to my enjoyment of it.

The animation is poor, characters sliding around and clipping through objects, and awkward posing makes the atmosphere immediately uncomfortable for me. The textures look cheap and rushed, though I appreciate that at the time they were no doubt considered masterful, but the combat is not to my liking either. I have only played for a couple of hours, so my initial impressions are very... initial... but I shall continue to play through the game with a slightly resigned acceptance. It's not usually my style to judge a book by it's cover, and I have little doubt that I'm completely missing the point when criticising the aged technology powering one of the best RPG games around, but it's something I can't overcome through mere willpower. I don't like the way the game looks. There, I said it.

Defiance!! 
    Defiance!! 

This is a personal issue that I have had to deal with repeatedly over the years. I find it increasingly difficult to go back and play older games, the relative drop in quality being absolutely mind-numbing for me. But there is still hope. I shall continue to play The Witcher, and some more extensive impressions shall no doubt feature in the blog in the near future.

Everything really is great at your Junes.

Having submitted my graduation project on friday, I now find myself with large (relatively speaking, of course) amounts of time with very few educational obligations. I have exams in 3 weeks, but 3 weeks is a loooong time. So, in order to bridge the gap, I started playing Persona 4. It feels slightly weird playing through the game solo, and the game takes on a much more sincere tone without Vinny making goofy jokes. I'm still getting weird flashbacks of Vinny and Jeff echoing throughout my playthrough, which is pretty bizarre, and has made me randomly chuckle on more than one occasion. I tried naming my character something other than Charlie Tunoku but it just felt... wrong.

No doubt my affection for Chie will soon become manifest, too. Fuck, I can't remember the word to describe someone with multiple sexual partners? Other than "winning", obviously...

Thanks For Reading
    Love Sweep
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Inbetween working off physical extremities and moderating you chimps on the forums, I have actually managed to salvage some time over the past few weeks to play some goddamn videogames. Let's talk about them!

Participating in demo's or, as they are apparently now known, "Beta's" are opportunities which I relish and, since getting my PC a couple of years ago, have actively sought out. Being so immersed in vidoegame culture means knowing specific videogames inside-out months before they are physically available, and any opportunity to decrease the time between "knowing" and "playing" should be leapt upon. Like a rapist.

Snide is gon' find you! 
    Snide is gon' find you! 

I love Gears Of War, and you can read all about my beta impressions over here.

The Gears of War 3 beta has been thoroughly exhausted by myself and a great many other enthusiasts. I love the changes and weapon balances, the new game types, and the general refinement of the game's controls. The level design remains dynamic, the characters look and sound fantastic, and there even seems to be a much more Unreal level of humour in the game which was painstakingly absent in the previous two Epic titles. In short, I'm super excited for Gears Of War 3. However it's probably for the best that my time with the game was not overwhelming, my university workload preventing me from spending any great lengths of time signed into Xbox Live. I managed to get a few good sessions in, notably with my good friends Tanuki and Brukaoru, and also managed to unlock the retail loot like Thrashball Cole and the Golden Retro Lancer, the latter of which I will treasure and the former of which I will not. Having clocked a sizeable amount of hours with the beta already, I'm almost relieved that it's drawing to a close. I'm desperate to avoid exhausting the game before it has even been released, and playing the same 4 levels repeatedly, for experience points that shall be wiped in a matter of days, seems overtly excessive. No, it's time to slow down and back off. Whilst I do not look forward to the inevitable withdrawal once the beta ends, right now I have more pressing concerns.

No Caption Provided

Burn him!

After reading some previews of the Witcher 2, there were multiple reports of the game leaning heavily on the assumptions that players had experienced the original. The Witcher is a game that had been recommended to me many times by folks here on Giant Bomb, specifically Claude, who insisted that it would be worth a look. With the Witcher 2 looking increasingly jaw-dropping, I decided that it was probably worth £10 just to see what all the fuss was about and pick up on some of the history.  

I am not a big RPG fan.

The closest I have ever really got was getting about halfway through Dragon Age: Origins. I didn't like Oblivion, as I have blogged multiple times, and I never played Diablo or any other dungeon crawler. It's just not a virtual aesthetic that appeals to me, the closest I have come to ever really enjoying an RPG being Mass Effect of Final Fantasy. Despite that, I decided that I should at the very least attempt what was being hailed as "one of the greatest RPG games ever made" (thank you MattBodega) and, with a few apprehensive clicks, bought the game on steam.

No Caption Provided

I'm fairly embarrassed to admit that the age of the game is cripplingly obstructive to my enjoyment of it.

The animation is poor, characters sliding around and clipping through objects, and awkward posing makes the atmosphere immediately uncomfortable for me. The textures look cheap and rushed, though I appreciate that at the time they were no doubt considered masterful, but the combat is not to my liking either. I have only played for a couple of hours, so my initial impressions are very... initial... but I shall continue to play through the game with a slightly resigned acceptance. It's not usually my style to judge a book by it's cover, and I have little doubt that I'm completely missing the point when criticising the aged technology powering one of the best RPG games around, but it's something I can't overcome through mere willpower. I don't like the way the game looks. There, I said it.

Defiance!! 
    Defiance!! 

This is a personal issue that I have had to deal with repeatedly over the years. I find it increasingly difficult to go back and play older games, the relative drop in quality being absolutely mind-numbing for me. But there is still hope. I shall continue to play The Witcher, and some more extensive impressions shall no doubt feature in the blog in the near future.

Everything really is great at your Junes.

Having submitted my graduation project on friday, I now find myself with large (relatively speaking, of course) amounts of time with very few educational obligations. I have exams in 3 weeks, but 3 weeks is a loooong time. So, in order to bridge the gap, I started playing Persona 4. It feels slightly weird playing through the game solo, and the game takes on a much more sincere tone without Vinny making goofy jokes. I'm still getting weird flashbacks of Vinny and Jeff echoing throughout my playthrough, which is pretty bizarre, and has made me randomly chuckle on more than one occasion. I tried naming my character something other than Charlie Tunoku but it just felt... wrong.

No doubt my affection for Chie will soon become manifest, too. Fuck, I can't remember the word to describe someone with multiple sexual partners? Other than "winning", obviously...

Thanks For Reading
    Love Sweep
    Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Heltom92

I've been playing Witcher again recently (I'm on my 2nd playthrough) and I do agree it looks surprisingly dated for a game thats only 4 years old. But to be fair it was made on a small budget and it was the developer's first game. The game was a mess when it first came out but a lot of it was improved with the enhanced edition. I'd say stick at it as it does get a lot more interesting. The sequel looks like it's going to be light years ahead of the original.

Scooopex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Scooopex
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @Scooopex: Awesome, that seems perfect! installing now.
    damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By damodar

I think the word you are looking for at the end is polyamorous?

I came in here because of the title referencing Yosuke being smashed in the nuts :)
    SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#6  Edited By SMTDante89

The fear of God has been put into my soul after seeing angry/defiant Sweep.  I can never look at a hamburger the same way again.

ItBeStefYo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By ItBeStefYo

Probably the best blog I've read. Possibly because I can relate to alot of the stuff mentioned, Morrowwind is unplayable to me.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Karkarov

Nah your feelings about the Witcher are definitely NOT just you.  I had the same opinion when I went and played it early 2010 after seeing tons of recommendations.  Thing is I am an RPG fan ;p.

Valkyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#9  Edited By Valkyr

The Witcher is THE rpg of the last decade and it certainly looks better than for example Dragon Age on consoles, I recommend you to play it on hard because the normal difficulty is so easy that it doesn't encourage you to do nothing more than clicking. The best thing about The Witcher is the writing, the moral dilemmas and the crudity of the world, there are no good or bad choices.

Cwaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By Cwaff

I'm also trying to play through The Witcher before the sequel comes out though I'm not sure whether I should continue my save from about a year ago about halfway through the game and try and remember story threads or just start again.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Vorbis

After finishing the abomination of Dragon Age 2 I started The Witcher (Enhanced) a few days ago, only just reached Chapter 2 but I'm already loving the game. I actually wanted to do all the side quests and try to help people, the choices aren't a clear cut good or bad, it's a case of picking the lesser evil. I don't know if you're playing the Enhanced version but the game looks great on my PC with everything up full, sure the animations can be a bit awkward, but no more than New Vegas or Dragon Age was. Not to mention I picked up the game for £5 during a Steam sale.

I think my only issue so far is looting stuff, there's just so much to do that an auto-loot would be nice, I'm sure there's a mod for that somewhere too. Should have no problem finishing it before The Witcher 2 is out this month.
    Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Yep, The Witcher is pretty bad.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Scooper

The first couple chapters of the game aren't very good really. Once you get into the posher part of the city the story becomes much more interesting and the game looks way better. The problem is it will take like 20 hours to get to that part if you do all the side quests. If I were you I'd blaze through the critical missions until chapter 3 or so.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By Hizang

I reccently bought Persona 4, I too could not name him anything but Charlie Tunoku, however I'm thinking of going out with Kanji instead of Chie, he's a sweet guy.
    sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#15  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Man, I've gotta disagree, but then again, I'm one of those guys that still plays games from the late eighties and early nineties without giving graphics (or anything else, really) much thought.  Then again, thinking hurts me.  Anywho, The Witcher as it was originally released pushed my laptop to its absolute brink in terms of graphics, and while I realize there are games that have come around since then that look way better, I certainly don't think the graphics in the game are bad enough to warrant derision.  And they certainly don't affect the very well-written story, the gameplay mechanics (which I happened to like, but I can definitely see not being able to get into them), or the gritty and brutal setting.  But to each their own, I guess.

That sounded crass and kind of mean-spirited, Sweep.  Sorry about that.  I get where you're coming from.  I loved Morrowind back in the day, but after booting it up this last year and playing through a good half of it, I couldn't bring myself to finish it mostly due to my dislike of the way the graphics engine has aged since then.  It's a bit hypocritical of me for knocking you on this one.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#16  Edited By Claude

I'm not going to bash you in the head until you love The Witcher and that sexy beast killer of a man Geralt of Rivia "The White Wolf". I appreciate your dilemma. I too have had the problem of buying a much loved older game only to lose interest. The Witcher can be slow as fuck. The first few chapters can really drag you down. The combat for some can seem archaic. The Aurora Engine which The Witcher was built, heavily modified of course, is old, like 8 or 9 years old.

I think my love for The Witcher comes from the fact all my gaming life I hardly ever played RPGs. Knights of the Old Republic on the Xbox was my first real RPG. But when I played The Witcher, I felt I had finally arrived. A kinship of sorts with the core computer role players. Not only did I understand the mechanics, I thrived. The characters and their problems engrossed me. The grayness of the story was compelling and fresh with all the black and white morale dilemmas of current RPG games. It just clicked with me.

I do thank you for at least trying, and I hope the texture mod helps a little. All I can say is...good luck. At least you're giving it a shot and that's all anyone can ask for.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw
    @Claude:
    Damn it.  You made me feel all guilty about my grumpy post above.  Now I'm all regretful.  It's a bad look on me, I swear.  Grumpy suits me way better.  Stop being nice and making me feel like a turd!
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Claude
    @Sparky_Buzzsaw said:

" @Claude: Damn it.  You made me feel all guilty about my grumpy post above.  Now I'm all regretful.  It's a bad look on me, I swear.  Grumpy suits me way better.  Stop being nice and making me feel like a turd! "

Sweep's a fucking idiot. He likes Gears of War. I knew his candy ass couldn't handle The Witcher.

There that's better.
    sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw
    @Claude said:
    "

@Sparky_Buzzsaw said:

" @Claude: Damn it.  You made me feel all guilty about my grumpy post above.  Now I'm all regretful.  It's a bad look on me, I swear.  Grumpy suits me way better.  Stop being nice and making me feel like a turd!

"

Sweep's a fucking idiot. He likes Gears of War. I knew his candy ass couldn't handle The Witcher.There that's better.

"

Ahhhh, good.  Now I feel less like a tramp and more like a pimp!  WAHOOOOOOO!
    DeathByWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By DeathByWaffle

I played The Witcher for the first time a couple months ago, and yeah, it is really dated. However, I enjoyed it immensely. I've never been that guy who is incredibly focused on graphics, so even though it isn't the best looking game (and the voice acting is very inconsistent) I still really loved it.

I'm just worried about how well my computer can run the sequel.

Zimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Zimbo
    @Vorbis:
    If I remember right holding left Ctrl and left clicking on a plant or body auto loots it. You might not want to use it on humans though as it picks up trash sometimes. Brilliant for herbs and monsters though.
    AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By AlexW00d

Tbf I think the Witcher is built on the same engine as Neverwinter Nights and KOTOR. So it is pretty aged. But man the story in that game is brilliant. I think I'm going to boot it up right now actually.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#23  Edited By Undeadpool

Polyamorous is the word you're looking for.

Also: The Witcher gets more awesome after Act 1. Graphically it doesn't improve much, bu the plot and characters start to get much, much meatier.
    SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SSully

I have the same problem with older RPGs, and the weird thing is I only have this problem with RPGS. I had the hardest time trying to get into The Witcher the year it came out because of how archaic it felt. I had the exact same problem with Dragon age Orgins. I just accept that not all games are for everyone and leave it at that. 

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#25  Edited By thatfrood

that is stupid

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By CL60

The Witcher isn't that dated. Also, I hate the beginning of the game. HATE IT. But I love the rest. The  beginning is the only thing preventing me from replaying it.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @ThatFrood: no u
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Claude

Sweep would bring a Hammerburst to a Sword fight and call it fair.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By Enigma777

What killed the Witcher for me was the combat. I didn't like it at all. The different stances, how you attack and block, everything about it just didn't jive with me. 

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By zityz

What bothers me about the witcher is its quest structure. I love the atmophere of the world, the combat...well it's ok nothing great, but my god the questing... Act 2 will test you, chain quests and quests branching off is one thing, but branching off branching off branching and one of those branches happends to be a chain quest where that my branch and then you need to finish all the loose ends in order to get on with fucking main quest.

However, they already acknowledged the problem and said it wouldn't be like that now... WHICH IS GREAT!
    WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By WalkerTR77

Like a rapist. I laughed pretty hard at that, wasn't expecting it. Ironic almost.

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By X19

When Gears of War vs. Uncharted gets made for the PS360 I will be looking for you in the heat of battle.

Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Clinkz

I'm so mad that the Gears of War 3 beta ends 4 days after my exams are done. I played it at a friends house and as a true multiplayer enthusiast of that game, I completely agree with what you said. It feels so much more fluid than 2 did as if Epic really did take criticism to make it more like 1. Not to say 2 was a bad game, but I enjoyed 1 more.

Scooopex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Scooopex
    @Sweep:  What camera mode are you using in The Witcher? I have played it with the  Over the Shoulder camera ( Press "F3") and it feels much better than the standard camera. It plays more like a 3rd person action game that way.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @Scooopex: A couple of people have asked me about this already. I'm using the default camera, which I guess is the one that sits directly behind the guy, Dragon Age style. I like being able to spin around and see what's going on.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.