What is your favorite cut of steak and why?

Edited 1 year, 5 months ago

Poll: What is your favorite cut of steak and why? (81 votes)

Rib Eye Steak 12%
T-Bone / Porterhouse 12%
Filet Mignon 20%
New York Strip Steak 9%
Prime Rib 9%
Flat Iron Steak 0%
Round Steak 2%
Top Sirloin Steak 16%
Flank Steak 2%
Chateaubriand 0%
Skirt Steak 1%
Hanger Steak 5%
I don't eat beef 0%
Just show me the answers 11%

What's your favorite steak, Giant Bomb? My favorite by far, when I can find a good cut, is the Porterhouse. It has the best of both worlds, one side being a bone-in top sirloin and the other side a filet mignon. Filet Mignon is amazing on it's own but the flavor is quite different from meat that has higher fat content or that is closer to the bone. Oh, and rare, as always. If I want beef jerky I'll buy a bag of it.

I added cuts like Flank and Skirt to the poll just to see if anyone actually prefers those...I can't imagine that will be the case, at least I hope not.

#1 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

New York Strip because I like them the best. I just like the texture and flavor the most out of any type of steak I've tried.

#2 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6087 posts) -

I'm not crazy about steak, but if I'm going to have it, give me a prime rib, mostly because it tastes fantastic in stew the day after. I like mine a little dryer than most people.

Moderator Online
#3 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1916 posts) -

Never had a Porterhouse, I should try one some time. My favourite is a good old top sirloin. If it's good quality, it's nice and tender, very little gristle and very tasty. yummmmmm

#4 Edited by familyphotoshoot (653 posts) -

Absolutely nothing beats a Hanger steak when it comes to flavor. Yeah, there might be more tender cuts but none of them scream "BEEF" like a Hanger does.

#5 Posted by MB (11984 posts) -

I forgot to mention that cuts of meat are named a little differently in different parts of the world...these are clearly U.S. names.

#6 Edited by MB (11984 posts) -

@familyphotoshoot: Hanger Steak isn't too popular around here, but it's a favorite of mine as well. I'm glad to see someone chose it! I think it's being taken off of menus because a lot of people simply don't know what it is and don't order it, opting for the more popular Top Sirloins and New Yorks instead.

I'm not crazy about steak,,,

Blasphemer.

#7 Edited by Aegon (5403 posts) -

I'm not really sure which types of steaks I eat since I rarely go to a restaurant and order, but I believe that either the flat iron or hanger are my favourites.

#8 Edited by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6087 posts) -

@mb: I can't stand gristle or fat, and sometimes, bone-in foods make me a little sick. I don't know why - it's not like I'm a vegetarian, as I love almost all boneless meat. But if you offered me a choice between steak or a chicken breast, I'd pick the chicken breast. Every time.

Moderator Online
#9 Edited by MB (11984 posts) -

@sparky_buzzsaw: You should try a good filet mignon, then. At a chophouse, done by someone who knows what they are doing. Very little fat, absolutely no gristle, and no bone. Restaurants often will wrap filets in bacon because they're so lean, but this isn't necessary. If I'm not going to use my normal cognac sauce with filet mignon, I may top it with just a little bit of butter during the last few seconds of cooking, but that is all.

#10 Posted by RPGee (759 posts) -

In Australia, Filet Mignon is called an Eye Fillet. Food for thought. That, incidentally, is my favourite.

Ultimately, though, it's not the cut that makes the most difference, it's what seasonings you use and how you cook it. It's gotten to the point where every steak that I cook must be timed, and I always enjoy it thoroughly.

#11 Edited by MB (11984 posts) -

@rpgee said:

Ultimately, though, it's not the cut that makes the most difference, it's what seasonings you use and how you cook it.

I couldn't disagree with you more. I suppose it's possible to overcook and underseason (or overseason) a filet mignon enough that a slab of chuck steak cooked and seasoned properly will taste better, but I think that is reaching quite a bit.

I like the term eye filet much more than filet mignon. It makes more sense.

#12 Posted by Fallen189 (4941 posts) -

With my old man being a butcher, I feel that steak kinda lost its edge

#13 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Filet Mignon is the only way to go in my eyes.

#14 Posted by Extreme_Popcorn (842 posts) -

I had a New York strip steak the other weekend which was amazing so I'll go with that.

#15 Posted by hwy_61 (922 posts) -

Must be a lot of ladies here, because filet mignon is not a man's steak.

It ain't no steak if it don't have a bone in it!

#16 Edited by project343 (2812 posts) -

Big ol' top sirloin steak, cuz... BEEF!

@mb said:

I forgot to mention that cuts of meat are named a little differently in different parts of the world...these are clearly U.S. names.

Canadian here. I used to work in a meat department at a grocery store for a couple years (effectively a 'butcher'). About half of those names are something that I've never (or rarely) heard.

*Edit: also, correction: the porterhouse/t-bone is a combination of the tenderloin and the striploin ("New York Strip")--not a top sirloin.

#17 Posted by RPGee (759 posts) -

@mb: It's not actually reaching that much, at least in my opinion anyway. Every bit of literature I've seen, every TV program, every class I've been to about it (my dad's really into this as well, and finds these things) point out how much of a change you get out of a) putting a suitable rub on it (eg. using olive oil, salt and pepper V using chicken salt V using a pretty specific barbecue rub) and b) timing how long you cook each side of the meat to get it perfect depending on the thickness of it. I personally happen to find it works great.

To be fair, eye fillet is the type I eat the most, so that would more difference than steaks with a higher fat content, but on the occasions I've had it I've had similar success with a big ol' porterhouse. Maybe it's a placebo thing.

Regardless, we can all agree (hopefully) that steak is a fantastic thing and is best enjoyed how you like it best. I won't be pushing my steak agenda on anyone.

#18 Edited by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

New York Strip mothafucka!

#19 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4578 posts) -

what is your favorite steak?

1) steak

2) steak

3) steak

4) steak

this poll confuses me.

#20 Posted by fox01313 (5061 posts) -

Sirloin especially when it's from a great place like Texas Roadhouse where they know how to not only make the steak great but also price it at a reasonable cost (<$15).

#22 Posted by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

Hanger steak is my favorite, but I don't have it all that often.

#23 Posted by MB (11984 posts) -

@rpgee said:

To be fair, eye fillet is the type I eat the most, so that would more difference than steaks with a higher fat content, but on the occasions I've had it I've had similar success with a big ol' porterhouse. Maybe it's a placebo thing.

Yeah but....the eye filet is really not that far removed from a porterhouse. They're just different cuts of the same meat, so of course they're going to be similar.

#24 Edited by RPGee (759 posts) -

@mb: Well then, I was not aware of that. No surprise it should work for me, then. But hey, that's how I'd probably treat any type of steak.

In fact, you know what's good? A pork steak. Or a pork medallion, I guess it might be called. I am a big fan of some nice pork. My local butcher does well by my family.

#25 Posted by SlashDance (1804 posts) -

I'm... gonna go get some steaks now. Thanks, thread !

#26 Edited by MB (11984 posts) -

Sidebar: I've been eating beef 3-4 nights a week for the last couple of weeks now, more often than ever before. I've found myself cooking my steaks just enough past the fully blue rare point to make the meat chewable but not necessarily cooked. 2" thick filet mignon, maybe 5-6oz, coated in olive oil and salt and pepper, seared on high heat on a dry iron skillet for maybe 2 1/2 to 3 minutes per side or a little less. Rest for ten minutes, flipping halfway through the rest period. The perfect steak.

#27 Posted by Brians (1458 posts) -

I enjoy top sirloin.

#28 Posted by MB (11984 posts) -

The porterhouses I'm about to cook. Yeah I know there is now a separate topic devoted to these lovelies, but...BEEF!

#29 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4160 posts) -

Prime Rib. I'm spoiled..

#30 Posted by MB (11984 posts) -

Prime Rib. I'm spoiled..

See, I may be in the minority here but I don't consider prime rib to be a steak. It's more of a roast. I almost didn't include it in the poll but I knew I'd be facing a lot of backlash if I didn't.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.