What If Steam Trade Cards Became Real?

#1 Posted by MedalOfMode (294 posts) -

Imagine:

Steam gives the cards if you crafted them.

Will you buy them?

#2 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Then they would no longer be cool.

#3 Posted by ZolRoyce (733 posts) -

If Steam cards ever became real then maybe I might care just a little but probably not really all too much, maybe for some of the really cool ones but even then I doubt it.

#4 Posted by Andorski (5343 posts) -

/thread

Although I'm not a big fan of the current system on Steam in the first place. Seems like a whole lot of hullabaloo for incentives that are either frivolous (profile backgrounds) or should be given to all users (maximum friends count). And it's all designed to make sure you completely wrapped up in the Steam ecosystem.

#5 Posted by MedalOfMode (294 posts) -

@zolroyce said:

If Steam cards ever became real then maybe I might care just a little but probably not really all too much, maybe for some of the really cool ones but even then I doubt it.

Foil cards set!

#6 Posted by fleabeard (195 posts) -

Can I get a real badge?

#7 Posted by BeachThunder (12094 posts) -

Can I get a real badge?

Yes, but you have to somehow make the badge out of cards...

#8 Edited by Demoskinos (15019 posts) -

@andorski said:

@the_laughing_man said:

/thread

Although I'm not a big fan of the current system on Steam in the first place. Seems like a whole lot of hullabaloo for incentives that are either frivolous (profile backgrounds) or should be given to all users (maximum friends count). And it's all designed to make sure you completely wrapped up in the Steam ecosystem.

And that is the beauty of it all. If you don't give a shit you don't have to participate in it. For people who do care there are plenty of incentives to keep on playing and buying games with trading cards.

#9 Posted by fleabeard (195 posts) -
#10 Posted by MedalOfMode (294 posts) -

@fleabeard: You must give extra money for badge :D

#11 Posted by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

Then can I sell the real cards for REAL money? Cause that would be nice.

#12 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2036 posts) -

I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with it but I wouldn't be too into it at all, personally. I'm fine with them being the way they are now, nothing more.

#13 Posted by BigJeffrey (5078 posts) -

#14 Edited by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

Should steam cards talk?

#15 Posted by YoungFrey (1321 posts) -

You mean, will Steam send me cards and will I sell them? Sure.

Also, this "trading" name is BS and everyone knows it. If Steam wanted us to trade them they would make it easy. But the selling is easy. Trading is comparatively way harder.

#16 Posted by ch3burashka (5112 posts) -

If they were real then kids would take the Steam booster packs into the bathroom and steal the cards.

#17 Posted by crithon (3338 posts) -

it would remind me of Nintendo Power's trading cards from the 90s

#18 Edited by SunBroZak (1204 posts) -
#19 Edited by konig_kei (645 posts) -

I'm waiting for the day I can go down to the milk bar and buy giant bomb trading cards.

#20 Edited by Vuud (2033 posts) -

I want the badges for real. I would walk around with them pinned to my jacket like Ash in pokemon.

#21 Posted by Viking_Funeral (1817 posts) -

@crithon said:

it would remind me of Nintendo Power's trading cards from the 90s

Everything had a trading card set in the 90s.

#22 Posted by ajamafalous (12039 posts) -

What If Real Trade Cards Became Steam?

#23 Edited by Dalai (7041 posts) -

I'm holding out for Steam pogs.

#24 Posted by RupertTheBear (190 posts) -

I would like to see this happen in prison. If the prisoners collect certain cards and use them to craft a badge, they get certain privileges such as access to the library or conjugal visits. People will be trading cigarettes and drugs for trading cards or this could cause several shanking's in prison.

#25 Edited by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

I've sold every single card I've had drop so far; I've got 400 Days for TWD and the Knife of Dunwall DLC for Dishonored with the cash so far.

I think people are insane for spending money on this shit.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.