Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

A Unlikely Love story

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By turbomonkey138

well this is a interesting event that has happened this past couple of days . 
    Lets start at the beginning .
    Have any of you seen this viral video ? 

Well there is a fairly interesting story behind the creators of the video . So the creator (who is called Jake) is a open homosexual he is out and proud on steam and in his normal life . He is in Love with a member of the Shadowofthedeath clan on steam (who i don't know his real name) 
    Anyway the two have been in love for a long time talking over skype msn etc . 
    BUT today they posted a new video on to youtube 

His parents found out about his relationship with his fellow clan member and have confiscated all his electronic equipment such as his laptop , phone etc becuase they are so angry at him for being gay . After he posted the video i went into the steam online chat and asked what had happened .... 

01:52 - folf-DONT FUCKING TALK TO ME: well heres the plan
    01:52 - folf-DONT FUCKING TALK TO ME: jake turns 18 on December 7th
    01:52 - folf-DONT FUCKING TALK TO ME: his parents legally have no grasp on him at that age
    01:52 - folf-DONT FUCKING TALK TO ME: thus he can move out
    01:53 - folf-DONT FUCKING TALK TO ME: he comes wiht me to florida (where i live)
    01:53 - folf-DONT FUCKING TALK TO ME: then we spend a year or so there
    01:53 - folf-DONT FUCKING TALK TO ME: go back up to iowa to get married
    01:53 - folf-DONT FUCKING TALK TO ME: then come back down
    01:53 - folf-DONT FUCKING TALK TO ME: :D

So yea they are going to Elope together when he turns 18 . 

Now i don't know about you guys but i think thats pretty brave . 

What do you guys think ?
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JJOR64

Wow.  He should totally move out.  Fuck his parents.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By AndrewB

I hope they spend a lot more time together before they actually get married, but I also hope everything turns out okay for them.

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By mikeeegeee
    @JJOR64 said:
    " Wow.  He should totally move out.  Fuck his parents. "
    Yes. That's really a shame how they have to go about doing things. I hope it works out! Sounds romantic.
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @JJOR64 said:
    " Wow.  He should totally move out.  Fuck his parents. "
    My thoughts exactly 

Also if you want to visit the youtube page and the steam group here are the links 

Steam group
    Youtube
    Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Hamst3r

His parents are jerks.
    yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By yinstarrunner

Getting married at 18? I'm sure that's going to work out great.... 
    God, I wish I could still be that naive.

This is a long distance relationship too, I assume? Double ouch.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

the second youtube video isn't working for me...

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Al3xand3r

What is this, giant gossip? At least post it as off topic, Steam has nothing to do with it... Nobody else's opinion matters, they'll do what they want.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Milkman

I'd like to support this kid but this is just stupid. He met someone over a video game and is going to marry them when he's 18. Sorry, but that's not going to work. I know everyone wants to think that love will conquer all but in reality, it's just not true. They probably barely know each other.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " What is this, giant gossip? :S "
    I just think its interesting how people can have relationships through gaming clans . Shows the best of gaming communities if you ask me .
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @Milkman said:
    " I'd like to support this kid but this is just stupid. He met someone over a video game and is going to marry them when he's 18. Sorry, but that's not going to work. I know everyone wants to think that love will conquer all but in reality, it's just not true. They probably barely know each other. "
    In reality ....i suppose your right . But i think it would be great if it worked out for them .
    John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By John1912

Yea, this screams train wreck from every angle.  Im going to have to side with the parents.  A online relationship with someone you have never met isnt exactly healthy.  They could try to handle it better (just shoving him out the door this way), but they are trying to protect him at least.  Kid isnt even 18.  You dont really get to see or appreciate how screwed up ppl are and the world is, until you leave home for a few years and develop relationships outside of your family environment.  Everything about this situation is bad, and its pretty easy to see if your not involved in it.  How old is this other person anyway?

crystalskull2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By crystalskull2

It'll be a disaster.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Jeffsekai

Thats really crazy, but this wont end well for anyone. Also isnt he already 18 ? Its past Dec 7th

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By FluxWaveZ

That won't work out at all.  I suggest just moving out, but don't chase your supposed "love" right when you turn 18...  He'll end up regretting it.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By c1337us

I feel sorry for this kid. But this situation has fucked written all over it, figuratively of course. Hopefully it all works out for him.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By xyzygy

It's nice of his love to take him in like that, but I'm not so sure about the whole marriage thing, they're both so young... but maybe they will decide things for sure down the road. 

@John1912: Wait, you're siding with the parents? What right did they have to take away his phone and laptop simply because he's in love with someone of the same gender?

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PureRok
    @John1912 said:
    " Yea, this screams train wreck from every angle.  Im going to have to side with the parents.  A online relationship with someone you have never met isnt exactly healthy.  They could try to handle it better (just shoving him out the door this way), but they are trying to protect him at least.  Kid isnt even 18.  You dont really get to see or appreciate how screwed up ppl are and the world is, until you leave home for a few years and develop relationships outside of your family environment.  Everything about this situation is bad, and its pretty easy to see if your not involved in it.  How old is this other person anyway? "
    While it may not be a great idea, I find what his parents did only exacerbated things, rather than did any good. Pulling away all of his electronics (whether it's because he gay, or it's because he's planning on doing things with this other guy doesn't really matter) only fueled any plans this kid had of doing something irrational, like eloping. Honestly, I think the parents overreacted, and probably should have talked with him. I'm sure there was probably mostly yelling, pulling of cords, and other angry things, rather than actual constructive conversation about this predicament.

Both parts of the family are being irrational, one way or the other. One is going to move out and get married at eighteen, while the other is overreacting about something that's perfectly fine. Making friends over the internet isn't as dangerous as the media perpetuates (I'm not saying it's a rose garden, though.). I once met a guy through a clan a few years ago who lives in Canada, and I went over to their place to hang out over spring vacation three or so years ago. That was a 1200 mile drive from my house, across a country border, at the age of 17. Although, it helped that he was married, had a daughter, and I had played with him and his friends for a few years prior.

Not everyone is out to get you.
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @John1912 said:
    " Yea, this screams train wreck from every angle.  Im going to have to side with the parents.  A online relationship with someone you have never met isnt exactly healthy.  They could try to handle it better (just shoving him out the door this way), but they are trying to protect him at least.  Kid isnt even 18.  You dont really get to see or appreciate how screwed up ppl are and the world is, until you leave home for a few years and develop relationships outside of your family environment.  Everything about this situation is bad, and its pretty easy to see if your not involved in it.  How old is this other person anyway? "
    The other person is 17 and the whole reason they took away his stuff is becuase they found out he was gay . Not becuase of his relationship . sorry if that was unclear
    John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By John1912

Guess I wasnt clear that it was because he was gay.  

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22  Edited By jonnyboy

Channel 4 will probably do some 'Dispatches' piece on it if they do it. Didn't they do one on that woman that went to the States to meet her Second Life partner, only to realise that he was a boring bastard and got on the next plane back to Britain?

CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CowMuffins

The thread title should be "An Unlikely Love Story" not "A Unlikely Love story".

crusnchill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By crusnchill
    @John1912: I agree with the rest of what you said, but I don't support the guys parents. They took his stuff off him to try and stop him from being gay.
    Now I'm a straight guy myself and I'll never understand how a male can feel attracted to another male because thats who I am, but I do understand how I can be attracted to a female both for her personality and her appearance, so to a degree I understand how Gay people  feel about certain guys that they're attracted to. in the end, his parents raised him hopefully to make his own decisions. He just made one that's based on his very existence, granted they are rash and kind of stupid(In terms of marryng someone he's never physically met before), and they scold him for it.

Now personally I sometimes have some camp manuerisms about me when I'm having a laugh with my friends. So ages ago my mum suddenly suspected when she saw me joking around with my friends as show drove past me, and later sat me down at home and explained that it was ok if I was gay. And also that some things in life would be harder because she thought I might be. Marriage. Work. Having straight friends, etc... all due to biases and misunderstandings this guys ass hole parents and people like them decide to believe without any source of proof.

I explained to her that I'm not gay and will never be, but that it was cool that she talked to me about it and that she tryed to make me feel comfortable in my supposed homosexuality when it came to my close family.
    And she helped me later on in life, now, in that respect. I have several gay friends that are some of the best and most witty people I know. One of them can go a bit overboard but he's cool.

Anyway my point is, it isn't ok to hate or deny someone just for their sexuality and I detest people who do. And they should've sat down with him and said the same as mum did to me.
    It IS okay to be gay. And yes life might be harder for it, but live it the way YOU want to live. NOT the way someone tries to force on you by their controlling and bent out of wack views.
    John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By John1912
    @crusnchill: I misunderstood why they were taking the things away from him, and viewed it more as over reactive parents protecting their child from what many would view as a unhealthy relationship. (online infatuation with someone you have never really met that im sure impacts his social life spending time inside when he could be doing other things)  I could care less that its a gay relationship.  If they took the things away because its a gay relationship, then thats a pretty shitty thing.  

If they took them away because hes spending all his time inside playing games and has a unhealthy infatuation with a person he has never met then I dont see a huge prob with taking his things away.  Not how I would do it, but its hardly worth making an issue over a 17 year old kid who disagrees with his parents taking his things away.
    rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#26  Edited By rjayb89

Hey man, I live in California and these homosexuals should, ya know, do what they wanna do.  Ya know, bro?

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By TheHT
    @yinstarrunner said:
    " Getting married at 18? I'm sure that's going to work out great....  God, I wish I could still be that naive.  This is a long distance relationship too, I assume? Double ouch. "
    quoted for truths.
    Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By Whisperkill
    @Milkman said:
    " I'd like to support this kid but this is just stupid. He met someone over a video game and is going to marry them when he's 18. Sorry, but that's not going to work. I know everyone wants to think that love will conquer all but in reality, it's just not true. They probably barely know each other. "
    Agree. I don't care how mean your parents are. Moving to another country with someone you've never met in real life the instant you turn 18 is borderline retarded. More likely than not the relationship isn't gonna work out.
    Avatar image for supersecretagenda
    SuperSecretAgenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Huh. You know what. I'm thinking that the words of this are a bit twisted. I think it's more that the parents don't want their child to be in a relationship with an online person. If it were my children, I would most certainly ban them from the computer in order to prevent this unhealthy relationship. 

You can only know if you love someone when you get to know them...in person. As much as I love online gaming and the friends you make on it...fallin in love with someone else is a tad extreme.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By Snail

Does he even know that guy personally?

Don't know if that is explained in the second video, it is totally not loading for me (not even showing up).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.