Adding Any Amount to Steam Wallet

Posted by admachina (189 posts) -

I recently got an American Express gift card. For the most part, I've found these to not work at many places in Canada.

I was able to use parts of it on other purchases, and found myself with $9.20 left on it.

I often buy things on Steam, so I figured that I could put it into my Steam wallet and it would just get used when I buy something there. One problem: no custom amounts for adding money.

Hovering over the add funds link I found that it just calls a javascript function with the amount to add (the one I used specifically calls javascript:submitAddFunds( 500 ); for $5.00).

Using developer mode in Chrome (analogs exist in IE and Firefox) allows for you to change what that link calls, so I just changed the number to 920, and I was able to add precisely the $9.20 that I wanted to.

Just thought I'd share this trick in case anyone else ended up in a similar situation.

#1 Posted by admachina (189 posts) -

I recently got an American Express gift card. For the most part, I've found these to not work at many places in Canada.

I was able to use parts of it on other purchases, and found myself with $9.20 left on it.

I often buy things on Steam, so I figured that I could put it into my Steam wallet and it would just get used when I buy something there. One problem: no custom amounts for adding money.

Hovering over the add funds link I found that it just calls a javascript function with the amount to add (the one I used specifically calls javascript:submitAddFunds( 500 ); for $5.00).

Using developer mode in Chrome (analogs exist in IE and Firefox) allows for you to change what that link calls, so I just changed the number to 920, and I was able to add precisely the $9.20 that I wanted to.

Just thought I'd share this trick in case anyone else ended up in a similar situation.

#2 Posted by Mikemcn (6988 posts) -

I feel like that's a really sketchy way of doing that.

#3 Posted by Baillie (4173 posts) -

That's pretty awesome, I would be thankful, but I don't use steam, like at all.

#4 Posted by admachina (189 posts) -

@Mikemcn: kinda, there are pages in between where you are confirming your payment, but I do agree to an extent

#5 Posted by BisonHero (6527 posts) -

@admachina: It's weird, because as long as you already have some money in your Steam wallet, they will let you add amounts less than $10, if you're in the middle of making a purchase. As an example, recently I had $8.01 in my Steam wallet, and it allowed me to add the exact amount needed to make a $15 purchase with my Steam wallet.

I guess they don't want to have people making all kinds of small transactions for a bunch of <$5 DLC, and instead make one bigger transaction that will last for a while, but it's still somewhat inconvenient in cases like the one you gave.

#6 Posted by admachina (189 posts) -

@BisonHero: Is it that they let you add money to the wallet, or that you just pay the balance of your transaction separately.

Usually I don't use Steam wallet, but I remember that last time I did, something ran over what the balance was and I think it just asks you how to pay the balance of the transaction, rather than asking you to add money to the wallet first.

#7 Edited by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -

@BisonHero said:

@admachina: It's weird, because as long as you already have some money in your Steam wallet, they will let you add amounts less than $10, if you're in the middle of making a purchase. As an example, recently I had $8.01 in my Steam wallet, and it allowed me to add the exact amount needed to make a $15 purchase with my Steam wallet.

I guess they don't want to have people making all kinds of small transactions for a bunch of <$5 DLC, and instead make one bigger transaction that will last for a while, but it's still somewhat inconvenient in cases like the one you gave.

I don't know if that was their intention since you can just plug in a visa and make dozens of 3$ purchases as they come.

I actually didn't even know Steam had a wallet service, I just always charged it directly. It's a lot more convenient if I just dump some money in a wallet for DLC, since I'll stop seeing so many small "Valve Software" purchases on my monthly statements. That's also not a bad way to set a budget for their sales so I don't go too crazy.

#8 Posted by believer258 (11911 posts) -

@Mikemcn said:

I feel like that's a really sketchy way of doing that.

That's what I thought as well, though I guess it sounds all right. As long as you're still using your own money and not cheating Valve out of money.

#9 Posted by fox01313 (5073 posts) -

Considering how freaking big steam is now, I'd love a specialty card type option at game stores (like xbox live microsoft point cards) that I could just buy in the stores then add those funds to the steam wallet to be easier than putting in credit card every time.

#10 Posted by desertindy24 (1 posts) -

I know this is old, but I just wanted to point something out, as this is a popular search result in Google. It won't let you add funds less than $5 still.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.