Advice On Using Steam

#1 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (977 posts) -

I'm trying to download Steam on to my laptop and it asks what internet connection speed I have with the list: 

Modem - 56K 
DSL>256K  
DSL >768K
DSL/Cable>2M 
Cable/Fiber>10M 

How do I find out what my connection speed actually is?

#2 Posted by ajamafalous (11930 posts) -

speedtest.net 

But really, I don't think what you pick for that option matters at all. I believe it's just so that when you go to install something it can give you an average ETA.

#3 Posted by Inkerman (1450 posts) -

Yeah, it's all about that ETA, so if you care about accuracy, maybe that would matter, but otherwise it doesn't.

#4 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (977 posts) -
@ajamafalous: Ok thanks, what part of that is my actual connection speed though, all I can seem to find is upload and download speeds?
#5 Posted by mnzy (2914 posts) -

Your download speed is meant by that.

#6 Posted by IrrelevantJohn (1053 posts) -

download speed is what you should look at.

#7 Posted by Devildoll (877 posts) -

just put it on the highest. it doesnt matter that much.

#8 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (977 posts) -
@ajamafalous@Inkerman@mnzy@IrrelevantJohn: Ok thanks guys
#9 Posted by shinboy630 (1134 posts) -

I think Valve may take this into account as part of their hardware surveys, but don't quote me on that. Then again, that affects them more than you so it's not a big deal.

#10 Edited by Tennmuerti (8055 posts) -

The thing that annoys me about internet speeds is that everyone (providers/test aps/etc) uses bits.

When in fact file sizes are always in bytes.

#11 Posted by Subjugation (4718 posts) -

@Tennmuerti said:

The thing that annoys me about internet speeds is that everyone (providers/test aps/etc) uses bits.

When in fact file sizes are always in bytes.

No kidding. ISPs advertise with "50 megs fast" connection which would lead the less savvy person to believe they would be downloading at 50 megabytes/second, when in reality it is megabits. It's pretty deliberately misleading by omitting information.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.