Alienware's Steam Machine actually looks nice (design wise)

#1 Edited by TinyGrasshopper (227 posts) -

Not nice spec wise, they didn't announce anything about that, but I think I'm gonna get this one. All the other ones don't look like they'd look good in a living room. One looks like a router, one looks like a rack mount ethernet switch, most of them look like DIY mini-ITX PCs. Generally all the others look embarrassing to have in a living room. iBuypower's also looks okay though.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2084802/alienwares-first-steam-machine-very-black-and-very-shiny.html

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/6/5281824/steam-machines-are-here-how-alienware-is-realizing-valve-console-dream

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/01/gallery-the-13-steam-machines-and-all-of-their-glorious-variety/

#2 Posted by big_jon (5723 posts) -

In personally disagree, but I think anything Alienware puts out looks tacky and childish.

#3 Edited by BIGJEFFREY (4917 posts) -

nah

#4 Posted by face15 (1288 posts) -

I can't really say I'm that into it either.

#5 Posted by ArtelinaRose (1850 posts) -

The CyberPower one is BEAUTIFUL.

Uh the alien ware one looks like a box I guess

#6 Posted by Metzo_Paino (318 posts) -

Personally I think that looks terrible.

#7 Posted by SharkEthic (1042 posts) -

Hmm, really? Looks pretty tacky to me.

#8 Posted by Humanity (9048 posts) -

Looks like my modem/router right down to that cut off corner. Except mine has an LCD display on the front.

#9 Posted by TinyGrasshopper (227 posts) -

I heard the Cyberpower one is actually a decent value for money from a gaming pc (short of building it yourself), but it don't look that great. weird angled ridges all over it. looks like its out of a early 90s scifi FPS.

#10 Posted by afabs515 (1019 posts) -

@artelinarose said:

I heard the Cyberpower one is actually a decent value for money from a gaming pc (short of building it yourself), but it don't look that great. weird angled ridges all over it. looks like its out of a early 90s scifi FPS.

That's a beautiful looking machine. If I wanted a Steam machine, I would want it to look like this.

#11 Edited by GaspoweR (2952 posts) -

@afabs515 said:

@tinygrasshopper said:
@artelinarose said:

That's a beautiful looking machine. If I wanted a Steam machine, I would want it to look like this.

Yeah, I'm actually digging the look of CyberPower's machine. Ofcourse that's just a render so I'd probably wait for actual pictures of it to come out though.

#12 Edited by Andorski (5268 posts) -

I like the Alienware design. They seem to be tempering their inclination towards "hardc0re gam3rz" aesthetics for a cleaner and simpler look. The Digital Storm Bolt II box is probably my favorite though.

#13 Edited by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

the bad taste alarm is going crazy! said so the alienware is the less-ugly one.

#14 Posted by guanophobic (304 posts) -

I prefer the Piixl's Jetpack Steam machine. To be able to get a powerful pc mounted and HIDDEN behind my TV would be perfect.

#15 Edited by TinyGrasshopper (227 posts) -

The thing with the Digital Storm one is that it looks so much like a PC that I can't tell the dimensions in these light box photos. Is it really that big? It looks massive. Can I lie it down at least. It just looks like a regular mid tower

@andorski said:

I like the Alienware design. They seem to be tempering their inclination towards "hardc0re gam3rz" aesthetics for a cleaner and simpler look. The Digital Storm Bolt II box is probably my favorite though.

@gaspower nope, the cyberpower one really looks like that. from the verge:

#16 Posted by Jimbo (9799 posts) -

They should have gone all the way with it and put 'XTREME' on the front in big glowy letters.

#17 Posted by guanophobic (304 posts) -
#18 Posted by AlexW00d (6234 posts) -
#19 Edited by bybeach (4784 posts) -

Now that I see pictures, I like the alien-ware one. Simple modern design, I like the steam button. Yah, the alien head, well it is not the end of the world. But of course what the box does is also a determinate. And going by another thread, I am still not sure!

guanophobic may have a very good point, also

#20 Edited by Andorski (5268 posts) -

The thing with the Digital Storm one is that it looks so much like a PC that I can't tell the dimensions in these light box photos. Is it really that big? It looks massive. Can I lie it down at least. It just looks like a regular mid tower

@andorski said:

It's pretty small for a PC, but might be a little big if you are comparing it to a console. The dimensions of the Digital Storm Bolt I is 15" x 3.6" x 14"; bigger than the Xbox One but will easily fit in any media center. It also can be laid on its side.

#21 Edited by Freshbandito (678 posts) -
@gaspower said:

@afabs515 said:

@tinygrasshopper said:
@artelinarose said:

Yeah, I'm actually digging the look of CyberPower's machine. Ofcourse that's just a render so I'd probably wait for actual pictures of it to come out though.

See I find the cyberpower one hideously tacky, it looks like it's screaming for attention by trying to look like a cheesy 80's sci-fi luggage prop crossed with a lunchbox and in the shots of the actual machine it looks like ridiculously cheap plastic. It looks just far too gaudy whilst looking like a Chinese knock off DVR player for me to be tempted to place it in my entertainment station.

At least the Alienware one is nice and understated with a minimal design just featuring the steam and alienware logos and would fit in perfectly next to the ps4 and/or Xbox one. But the one I'm actually tempted by is that jetpack one, mounting that behind my TV would be ideal.

#22 Posted by cmblasko (1187 posts) -

I think they all look pretty cool in their own way.

#23 Posted by coaxmetal (1605 posts) -

idk about nice but I would have expected a lot worse from alienware, so that's something. At least the obnoxious lights are blue instead of green?

#24 Edited by afabs515 (1019 posts) -

@freshbandito: Hmm. I'll be the first person to admit that I have absolutely no sense of style/decoration. Having not seen the actual box and only this picture, it looks kind of cool. I think it would look better if the top and bottom were black, but again, no sense of style. I think it looks... futuristic for lack of a better word. To each his own.

Looking at the Alienware model again, though, I don't have a problem with that one either. These are some good looking machines, and the hardware seems solid.

#25 Posted by Vuud (1950 posts) -

I just don't get why you need to slice a corner off your box. I like things to be symmetrical.

#26 Posted by Freshbandito (678 posts) -

@afabs515: I'd definitely agree on it looking better in black, if the plastic had a matte finish to it I think it would look better too but yes beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder and looking at the range there's something there for everybody and I'm sure people will find one that is appealing to them accross specs and looks/style which is fantastic.

#27 Posted by Whitestripes09 (401 posts) -

The cyberpower one looks ok. I really hate white consoles / computer cases because they throw off the color scheme of a room (I hated the original 360 for this very reason). I don't know about most people, but I usually have a dark colored desk or dark colored furniture in my rooms. So having something white looks a bit weird. Not to say that having something light up like a UFO is classier or anything, but I think that the Alienware one overall looks like a piece of equipment that I could see in my house.

#28 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

That Cyberpower one looks like a cheap piece of shit, and Alienware are terrible at designing hardware.

I saw an Alienware 14 out in the wild, what a thick, tacky disgusting thing that laptop is. Even by gaming laptop standards it's horrendously thick.

#29 Posted by crithon (3120 posts) -

uhhhh? so there isn't a Nvidia titan inside it? That ought to explain why it's so small. The design is decent, can clearly see it's the size of the controller, so I wonder if it's got laptop chipsets for graphics. Again we will be seeing a lot of variety and that's pretty neat.

#30 Posted by Amafi (678 posts) -

Some of the cases are way too XXTREEMEE GAMING PC!! looking to me. Way too many LEDs and crap. If it's going to be something that lives under my TV I want the case to be as neutral as possible, and I certainly don't want the thing to light up my livingroom with green LED lights.

#31 Edited by MonkeyKing1969 (2674 posts) -

They all look like shyte. The big problem is the specification is left wide open, so you will have some look like a tower case and some will look like sort "As Seen on TV" junk .

I just did a quick Google search for small PC cases and after a few minutes I saw that most PC cases are made to hide the media drive slot, made to hide the posts and made to hide stuff you'd probably want to get at without opening a little door or sliding a panel out of the way. There is nothing being made now that doesn't look like crap. The nicest one I saw (below) had the flaw of hiding the media slot and USB ports....but it did look close to what is needed.

#32 Posted by TinyGrasshopper (227 posts) -
#33 Posted by pinhead1 (6 posts) -

I think personally Valve's Own Steam Machine will be the most popular

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.