Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

American flag = English language? hmmm

• 141 results
    warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#101  Edited By warxsnake

Can't we just get along?

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#102  Edited By MikkaQ

You won't see tires written as tyres on steam, let's just say that.

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#103  Edited By TehFlan
    @the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:
    " maybe its american english?  but ya i hate how america claims everything as theirs including all of north america.  or at least try to.. "
    What?
    Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#104  Edited By Example1013

I like how One of the UK's former colonies has more English speakers than the "mother country".

Also, the U.S. doesn't have a history of colonizing (read: subjugating) half the world. We stuck to the Philippines, a few other islands, and Central America, and avoided fucking over an entire continent based on our stupidity (Africa).

CABBAGES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By CABBAGES

Modern America is made up of europeans anyway so unless your a native american your nor really american.  

I dont care what flag stands for english its the name "english" that i dont like.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#106  Edited By EpicSteve
    @PrivateIronTFU said:
    " If anything, you should hate America for all the xenophobic rednecks we have, and not because of our stupid flag denotiing the English language. "
    You can always move to another country.
    Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Example1013
    @CABBAGES said:
    " Modern America is made up of europeans anyway so unless your a native american your nor really american.   I dont care what flag stands for english its the name "english" that i dont like.  "
    You wanna know what's amusing? Someone found a skeleton in a burial site that was something like 10,000 or 15,000 years old (predating most known settlements), and the scientist on-hand said that, from what he could tell, the skeleton looked caucasian. Of course, no one got a chance to scientifically examine it, since the local tribe claimed it and took it away.
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#108  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Valve is an american company. And the english being used in CSS is American English.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By ryanwho
    @example1013 said:
    " I like how One of the UK's former colonies has more English speakers than the "mother country".  Also, the U.S. doesn't have a history of colonizing (read: subjugating) half the world. We stuck to the Philippines, a few other islands, and Central America, and avoided fucking over an entire continent based on our stupidity (Africa). "
    In fairness, though, this is like saying guns kill less children than drowning. We still fucked some shit up real bad. Portugal, Spain, France, England, we all fucked some shit up real bad for a time.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By ryanwho
    @EpicSteve said:
    " @PrivateIronTFU said:
    " If anything, you should hate America for all the xenophobic rednecks we have, and not because of our stupid flag denotiing the English language. "
    You can always move to another country. "
    There is no country for someone so devoid of self awareness. I love that the term northern slave owners used for poor white people in the south who had to toil in the field themselves is now the term used for racists.
    Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Example1013
    @ryanwho said:
    " @example1013 said:
    " I like how One of the UK's former colonies has more English speakers than the "mother country".  Also, the U.S. doesn't have a history of colonizing (read: subjugating) half the world. We stuck to the Philippines, a few other islands, and Central America, and avoided fucking over an entire continent based on our stupidity (Africa). "
    In fairness, though, this is like saying guns kill less children than drowning. We still fucked some shit up real bad. Portugal, Spain, France, England, we all fucked some shit up real bad for a time. "
    Yeah, it's all pretty catastrophic (I think that word's appropriate here). But the U.S. as a sovereign nation has, overall, done less catastrophic damage (from what we can tell today, who knows how it'll look in 50 years?) than the old European colonial powers.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By ryanwho

That's just the benefit of being a young nation, though. Israel uses that same rationale after killing Palestinian schoolchildren. Just by merit of being significantly younger, there's no way to catch up to old world country kill counts.

Avatar image for griefersstolemykeyboard
    griefersstolemykeyboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Does anyone really care about minor stuff like that?

Fascism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Fascism

Wait... I thought we spoke American?

ASpaceSeaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By ASpaceSeaman
    @IBurningStar said:
    " I think it really all depends on where the developer or company is based. Although I think the American flag is becoming the more common representative for the English option. However, what I find confusing is when I see the stars and stripes next to the Union Jack. Why would someone consider these to be separate languages?! "
    With how many differences they have some people do consider them different languages. The option shows an American flag because thats the type of English used in the application. 

@Vorbis:
     Quite a lot of people do actually. In a recent trip to UK many people asked me why I was speaking American in Britan.
    Deeveeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Deeveeus
    @supernando: there are prolly just more gamers buying these products in N.A....who gives a shit
    GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#117  Edited By GS_Dan

American English is its own language.

Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Ignor

Krah-toss > Kray-toes

Deeveeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Deeveeus
    @Otogi said:

" @FluxWaveZ said:

" This is not much of a problem since it designates U.S. English. What really frustrates me is when the U.S. flag is associated with a "North America" option. Now that is fucking stupid. "
    A shame, too, because the North American flag looks awesome

No Caption Provided
    "
    That is fucking brilliant...it's only a matter before it is a reality, pisses me off as a Canadian, but I guess thems the breaks...
    wwfundertaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 25

#120  Edited By wwfundertaker

Valve in the USA, sounds catchy.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

This only annoys me when they write English (US) but don't put the proper version there. When you spend as much time on the internet as I do, you have to convert things back into the 19th century for Americans regularly, so a flag is the least of my inconveniences. It's still dumb though.

taccyp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By taccyp
    @griefersstolemykeyboard said:
    " Does anyone really care about minor stuff like that? "
    It's startling that people actually do.
    DeathByWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By DeathByWaffle
    @EpicSteve said:

" @PrivateIronTFU said:

ClaritySam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By ClaritySam

This thread reminded me of an old Eddie Izzard routine. "You say 'erbs' and we say 'herbs'.............. Because there's a fucking H in it" 

MadeinFinland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#125  Edited By MadeinFinland
    @endaround said:
    " Bioware uses the Canadian flag... "
    they need a 'like' button.
    No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By No0b0rAmA
    @MadeinFinland: No. NO NO NO NO NO.
    MadeinFinland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#127  Edited By MadeinFinland
    @No0b0rAmA said:
    " @MadeinFinland: No. NO NO NO NO NO. "
    0_0 
    Just a comment on my approval. Wouldn't want this place to become Facebook..
    Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Example1013
    @ryanwho said:
    " That's just the benefit of being a young nation, though. Israel uses that same rationale after killing Palestinian schoolchildren. Just by merit of being significantly younger, there's no way to catch up to old world country kill counts. "
    Most of the worst shit happened during the 19th and early 20th century, including what we've done. I'm not talking about slave trade stuff, I'm talking about Belgian Congo stuff.

If we start talking about slave trade, conquistas, inquisitions, Age of Discovery, we get into a whole other world of dark shit,  but nothing as systematic as what happened in the 19th century. The earlier stuff wasn't on the same level, especially since the mass exterminations due to diseases were largely incidental (although no less harmful than if they'd been on puropose).
    No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By No0b0rAmA
    @TheBurgerKing: Dude, the Russians can SO kick your asses. Ever wonder why Fallout is only set in the U.S wasteland? BECAUSE THE RUSSIANS WON.
    PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By PrivateIronTFU
    @EpicSteve said:
    " @PrivateIronTFU said:
    Nah, it's just a joke. i love this country.  

@ryanwho: You should be more of a prick. Because everybody loves pricks like you. 
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#131  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

To be fair, using the union jack is incorrect too. The Union Jack is the flag of the United Kingdom, which incorporates England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland, and therefore incorporates the languages of English, Welsh, Irish and Gaelic. To be totally correct, you would use the English flag:  

No Caption Provided

And that flag isn't necessarily immediately recognizable to non-brits. I'm sure plenty of people do know it, but I'm not sure if less well educated people would. England isn't a sovereign nation, it isn't a member of the UN, and therefore it's flag doesn't get used all that commonly. So naturally they're going to use either the American flag or the Union Jack. And since both of them are incorrect, I'm not bothered about which one they use.
    Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#132  Edited By Rockdalf

I think we can both agree that there are differences (slight) between English (US) and English (UK). 

Now tell me, if every ToC and subscriber agreement is going to be formatted in English (US) instead of English (UK), because Valve is a company based in USA, what sense would it be to use the union jack over the american flag?

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By ryanwho
    @PrivateIronTFU said:
    " @EpicSteve said:
    " @PrivateIronTFU said:

@ryanwho: You should be more of a prick. Because everybody loves pricks like you.  "
    Im probably a redneck or something. I can't afford slaves like you so my neck is red from hard labor in the sun.
    blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#134  Edited By blackbird415
    @supernando:  well its a specified vocabulary. Its like when fable lost chapters on pc has an option for american english or british english. meh Ive seen it in games since I was 9 so really it didnt shock me as anything different
    PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By PrivateIronTFU
    @ryanwho said:

" @PrivateIronTFU said:

" @EpicSteve said:
    " @PrivateIronTFU said:

@ryanwho: You should be more of a prick. Because everybody loves pricks like you.  "
    Im probably a redneck or something. I can't afford slaves like you so my neck is red from hard labor in the sun. "
    No, you're just a dipshit. 
    It was a joke, and they're not all winners. You of all people should know that. 
    Dedodido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Dedodido

English is the national language of England, the name kind of gives it away. Therefore English should come with and English flag. It's really not that complicated.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By ryanwho
    @Dedodido said:
    " English is the national language of England, the name kind of gives it away. Therefore English should come with and English flag. It's really not that complicated. "
    English was invented by Germanic peoples and hijacked by remnant Romans who later formed Britain. And the largest population of English speakers live in the US. So the name doesn't matter. Its really not that complicated.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By MrKlorox

HAHAHAHA! Worst thread and least legitimate complaint ever.

Dedodido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Dedodido
    @ryanwho: 
    Actually you're refering to Old English, which is generally regarded as a seperate language. English in it's current form is the national language of England, as I said before. Besides, Americans don't speak English, they speak American English. Like I said, it's really not that complicated.
    pooert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By pooert

@ryanwho

said:

" @supernando said:

" @mazik765:  I wouldnt know about Bioware because I've never installed any of their games. Either way its still ENGLISH! no way around it, end of the day its ENGLISH! "

Yep, at the end of the day its the language adapted from native Germanic people. English. Owned by the occupiers of England, apparently. "

Well the English language is what evolved from many other european languages, dutch, german, spanish you name it.. 

http://webspace.ship.edu/cgboer/evolenglish.html

The English language still belongs to the English.. Just like french belongs to the French, spanish belongs to Spain, german belongs to Germany.. Besides, The American language isn't English, it would be whatever language the native indian's talked before the American revolut

@Doctorchimp said:

" @supernando said:

" Just in the middle of installing steam, not used steam for a long time, not since counter strike source a few years ago. But during the language select I noticed that the flag shwon next to English is actually the American flag. Now I like america dont get me wrong but this is the kind of stuff Americans get abuse for either claiming everything for themselves or just plain getting things wrong. what is with you guys?   Just a small thing I know but had to do something whilst I waited for the program to install :D "

Steam is a US company.  Stop whining....god....  If it was a british company it would use the british and no one would make a topic complaining about how after America beat the queen and then saved her in WWII it should be the stars and stripes... "

And you sir, are an iggnorant narrow minded retard.. Beat the Queen? Ha, and when exactly did you "beat" the Queen, oh and FYI the Queen does NOT run this country, the prime minster does.For some reason alot of americans get the idea that the Queen acctually runs this country? See, ignorance, another thing people accosiate with americans 

america did not 'save our asses in world war II'.. I get so sick of hearing that bullshit, america SOLD us weapons for WWIi.. Us, the English are the one's who acctually FOUGHT the Germans. But i guess if america saved our asses, then that means we British saved Libya's asses because of tony blair selling weapons to  colonel gaddafi.  After world war II had ended, England had to pay Germany for the damage we did to there country during the war, and we had to pay the Americans for the firearms they sold us.. That is partly why England isn't as rich as it used to be and why both America and Germany are bringing in lots of money! England won the war, but we lost the financial war.. And you think that count's as "saving us"..Fuck you, because you don't know jack shit 

Prepare to learn some history about the 2nd world war, dumbass

"There is a general misconception that america joined the allies to fight the nazi's and japan in world war 2 because they could not allow the injustice's of the jewish people to continue.
    is this true?.well the war started when britain , france and many other european countries signed the treaty of versailles with germany stating that germany were not to invade new polish lands formally german lands.hitler broke this treaty in 1939 when he invaded poland, so britain and france declared war on germany.germany went on to invade countries and commit horrific war crimes such as the hollacaust.germany continued to attack neutral countries with no reason for doing so other than power
    .by this time britain alone had suffered over 300,000 military casualties and 62,000 civilian deaths. The allies pleaded with the usa to join them against the nazi's but they refused.Only when pearl harbor was bombed in 1941 did the americans join the allies against"

So you see, usa didn't give two shit's about us lot getting killed. usa refused to join us, and only joined us after they got attacked themselves!

When hitler tried to invade other countries, us English went out straight away to put a stop to it.. america didn't care as they hadn't been bombed yet.. america was sitting on the fence about it and ONLY got involved in WWII after they got attacked. Seriously, what do they teach u in schools in america. Because i've talked to so many americans such as urself that just talk complete and utter bullshit. America likes to take credit for alot of things, espeically hollywood.. Ever seen the film 'Winston Churchill the golden years' and its an american film with american actors, and im guessing u don't even know who WC is since ur an ignorant doosh, he was England's prime minster and is the one who led us into WW2. That whole 'We will fight them on the beaches' speach, that was him.

England went to fight Germany because of them killing the Jews, america went out to fight germany because america didn't want Germany to win and get all the power.. Because thats all it is with any country, power.. And the hunger for power pretty much started with England, back when we ruled the world, then hitler tried to do the same and failed.. And pretty much america rules the world now.. See how history is just repeating itself? At the end of the day, you cant change history.. But american's will damn well try to change history to make themselves look like the heroes!

I dont have anything against people in the U.S, i have met some very friendly and quite inteligent americans before.. But its people like you Doctor who like to go our of there way just to piss people off. Im not angry person but if theres one thing i cant stand its seeing an american say 'we saved your ass in WW2'. You told him to stop whining, he wasn't whining he was asking a question. I think all the inteligent and non-asshole types in america should just take you 'cartmen types' as i like to call, and removed ur voice boxes so none of us have to put up with the shit

oh btw i LOL'd at the valve time comment... So true

ClaritySam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By ClaritySam
    @Jimbo said:
    " They trust English people to still be able to figure it out this way around. "

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.