Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Anyone else stuck in Offline Mode right now? FIXED

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By BisonHero

My internet is doing fine, I can get to all manner of websites, and within the Steam client, I can navigate around to various store and community webpages. But Steam keeps launching immediately into offline mode and I can't chat with any of my Steam friends.

I can't find any mention of this on the Steam forums right now (maybe I'm just dense and missing it), so anybody else having this problem at the moment?

alanm26v5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

For the last few weeks, Steam always launches into offline mode when my computer first starts up, but I can go up to the menu and hit go online.

schreiberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

For me steam only launches in offline mode when i dont have an internet connection, maybe steam got blocked by a firewall somehow. If its just the chat that is launching offline then its either their community servers or something with your install. Or possibly some sort of chat probation? Its probably not that.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By BisonHero

So when I hit "Go online", it would say "Steam needs to be restarted to try this", I'd click OK, then when Steam came back up, it would still be in offline mode.

But instead of going that route of restarting Steam, I just tried fully closing Steam the normal way, then opening it, and now I'm fully online. Weird.

alanm26v5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@schreiberty: That makes sense because I have an SSD. My email and twitter checker complain about no connection too for a split second on startup. I should probably changed my IP to fixed but I so rarely restart my computer that it's really not a big deal.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.