Big Sale on Steam

• 72 results
Posted by Jeff (3424 posts) -
There's that Steam logo again. Good thing I've memorized my credit card number already.
In case you're looking for some post-Christmas deals in the area of digital game downloads, or if you need to buy a late gift for that person you didn't think you were close enough to to buy gifts for, only to find that they had gotten you something and now you feel like a serious jerk, Steam has got your back.

The popular gaming-focused e-tailer's having a sale until January 2. Items are discounted anywhere between 10 and 75 percent, resulting in crazy-sounding deals like Bioshock for $4.99. TrackMania United Forever (one of my recent faves) is down to $19.99. Audiosurf is only $4.99. Garry's Mod is down to $8.99. Warhammer Online can be had for $37.49. Heck, Doom II is going for 99 cents. Even Grand Theft Auto IV, which seems to be on the way to running better via a patch or two, is down to $44.99.

Having just reformatted my machine, it was pretty cool to be able to easily redownload and reinstall all of these games I've picked up from Steam over the years. This digital distribution thing might actually make some sense after all!

Anyway, the sale's certainly worth checking out if you're in the hunt for some new PC games before the end of the year.
Staff
#1 Posted by Jeff (3424 posts) -
There's that Steam logo again. Good thing I've memorized my credit card number already.
In case you're looking for some post-Christmas deals in the area of digital game downloads, or if you need to buy a late gift for that person you didn't think you were close enough to to buy gifts for, only to find that they had gotten you something and now you feel like a serious jerk, Steam has got your back.

The popular gaming-focused e-tailer's having a sale until January 2. Items are discounted anywhere between 10 and 75 percent, resulting in crazy-sounding deals like Bioshock for $4.99. TrackMania United Forever (one of my recent faves) is down to $19.99. Audiosurf is only $4.99. Garry's Mod is down to $8.99. Warhammer Online can be had for $37.49. Heck, Doom II is going for 99 cents. Even Grand Theft Auto IV, which seems to be on the way to running better via a patch or two, is down to $44.99.

Having just reformatted my machine, it was pretty cool to be able to easily redownload and reinstall all of these games I've picked up from Steam over the years. This digital distribution thing might actually make some sense after all!

Anyway, the sale's certainly worth checking out if you're in the hunt for some new PC games before the end of the year.
Staff
#2 Posted by MattyFTM (14348 posts) -

Some great offers there. I only just bought Trackmania United the other week, so I'm a bit annoyed that I could have waited, but I'm still going to pick up a couple of cheap games in the sale, so I'm happy.

Moderator Online
#3 Posted by MisterSpiffy (880 posts) -

Yeah, there's some great deals.  So far, I have Team Fortress 2 (I know, long overdue), Peggle Deluxe, Half Life: Blue Shift, Half Life: Opposing Fronts, Gumboy, and World of Goo.

#4 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -

It really is a great sale and as someone who really doesn't like digital distribution(I like physical media)...I have already bought 7 games and I may buy a few more before the sale is over.

#5 Posted by Lepuke (327 posts) -

I picked up The Witcher: Enhanced edition, and Portal (finally) for $29.99 and $4.99 respectively.
Not bad :)

#6 Posted by Kaido (249 posts) -

That's awesome. Despite having Bioshock already on x360, I'll probably pick this up.

There's also some jerks on my Steam Account that I need to buy for.

#7 Posted by Jimbo (9775 posts) -

The same sale is available on Steam in the UK too, and they've even taken into account that the £:$ exchange rate isn't 1:1 (finally).  Bioshock and Portal at £3.50 each are ridiculously good value.

I'd pick up the Rain Slick episodes if they made episode 1 the same price as episode 2.

#8 Posted by sociald1077 (263 posts) -

I just started using steam a few months ago, even though I have had it since HL2. But I never really used it till now. I'm digging the sales and the convince of it all.

#9 Posted by sloppyjoe (405 posts) -

steam ftw

#10 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

The Valve Complete pack (Left 4 Dead, all of the Counter Strikes, all of the Team Fortresses, all of the Day of Defeats, all of the Half-Life's and more) is $75. Madness.

#11 Posted by killawogg (222 posts) -

yeah i spent like thirty dollars buying games off that sale, hell of a deal saved me a ton of money

#12 Posted by Cubical (637 posts) -
#13 Posted by TaintedSun (154 posts) -

Everybody and their mother should own Bioshock right now. Everyone!

#14 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -

I was gunna get The Witcher: Enchanced edition over Steam today but I kinda do/don't really want that stupid shiny box with lame junk inside so I just bought Bioshock instead which I couldn't get to play when it first came out.

#15 Posted by PocketfullaButtholes (76 posts) -

id Software package is $34.99. Doom 1, 2, 3 and expansion, Final Doom, Heretic, Hexen 1 and 2, Return To Castle Wolfenstein, Wolf3D, Spear of Destiny, all Quakes from 1, 2 ,3...

#16 Posted by HatKing (5833 posts) -

That's it I'm finally signing up for steam...this is insane how can they even do these deals?  I guess since it is all digital it doesn't really hurt them that much...just crazy.

#17 Posted by LordAndrew (14424 posts) -

I bought Bioshock, Ultimate Doom, Doom II, Master Levels for Doom II, Garry's Mod, Civilization III Complete, Bejeweled Deluxe, Heavy Weapon Deluxe, and a few other things I will soon regret.
I love Steam sales.

#18 Posted by LordAndrew (14424 posts) -

Oh yeah, and I'm with Kush on the whole boxed/digital distribution thing. I like to get a nice retail box with my games. I never thought I'd actually buy Bioshock online. And yet here I am doing just that.

#19 Posted by PapaLazarou (711 posts) -

why do people care about boxes? Just take up space.

#20 Edited by Gargantuan (1881 posts) -

It's still expensive in Europe so they'll get no money from me. Many games are still cheaper at retail

#21 Posted by LordAndrew (14424 posts) -

I like stuff that takes up space. I'm actually disappointed in the new cases for PC games because they take up less space.

#22 Posted by Verdugo (2001 posts) -
#23 Posted by virtorio (248 posts) -

I found this sale the other day and got Portal for a good price (had the 360 version). 
I also accidental added Call of Duty 4, UT3 and SiN Episode 1 (because I liked the first game).

#24 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -
Verdugo said:
"

I considered getting Bioshock for 360...

Then this came up, AWESOME DEAL. MUST BUY NAO.

"
BUT THE POINTS MAN! THE POINTS!

Hmmm, I'm giving away Audiosurf as part of Thrawn's big competition so this just made my contribution cheaper. Awesome.
By the by, BUY AUDIOSURF! It's awesome
#25 Posted by SuperMooseman (358 posts) -
MattyFTM said:
"Some great offers there. I only just bought Trackmania United the other week, so I'm a bit annoyed that I could have waited, but I'm still going to pick up a couple of cheap games in the sale, so I'm happy."
Same happened to me with Portal. Ah well, not to worry. Very good prices going on here, I might buy something.
#26 Posted by SpikeDelight (687 posts) -

Bioshock is $4.99? Madness!

#27 Posted by Walreese55 (500 posts) -

torrents. sorry, but companies don't care about games like bioshock that released back in august 07.

#28 Posted by Agent_Lost (899 posts) -
SpikeDelight said:
"Bioshock is $4.99? Madness!"
no this is STEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM!

sorry, can't resist
#29 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -
SpikeDelight said:
"Bioshock is $4.99? Madness!"
It is not madness...it is pure awesomeness! I already own the game on 360 and PC, but I may buy myself another copy just because it's so damn cheap.
#30 Edited by Fade2Gray (168 posts) -
@ brainboy77

I don't mean mean to be rude, but it's stupid, shitty, self serving attitudes like that that keep prices high for the rest of us and force us to deal with all of the ever more annoying DRM crap companies keep loading into their games. Companies don't just eat their losses, we (the buying public) do. Wake up and get a grip.

Edit: sorry for the bold, I couldn't get it to turn off for some reason.
#31 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -

Valve is so good to their customers that it's almost sinister....

#32 Posted by Mjolnir (455 posts) -

I never finished by copy of the original Doom on XBL Arcade, so this will be the perfect opportunity to play and never finish Doom II !

#33 Posted by pirate_republic (1117 posts) -

THIS IS SPARTA!!!

#34 Posted by Champy (533 posts) -

BIOSHOCK FOR 5 DOLLA?!!?! MADNESS!

#35 Edited by MrMiyagi (929 posts) -

I picked up BioShock even though I have it on 360 already as well as STALKER Clear Sky for $17.49, Opposing Force & Blue Shift at 99cents each I couldn't pass them up.
I'm still thinking about getting Medieval II Gold and the Dawn of War Everything Pack. Awesome sale.

#36 Posted by Driadon (2995 posts) -

Bought a bunch of things on there: Medieval Total War II Gold, the Unreal Collection and STALKER Clear Sky. Awesome sale is awesome.

#37 Posted by CitizenKane (10506 posts) -

I will definitely have to hit up Steam this week.

#38 Posted by Trilogy (2645 posts) -

God bless steam.

#39 Posted by Captain_Fookup (1519 posts) -

at times like this I wish I had a full fledged PC gaming desktop and not just a macbook that can run source games with 40 fps.

#40 Posted by LordAndrew (14424 posts) -
Mjolnir said:
"I never finished by copy of the original Doom on XBL Arcade, so this will be the perfect opportunity to play and never finish Doom II !"
You've gotten farther than I ever will. I bought Ultimate Doom, Doom II, and Master Levels for Doom II, and I'm not sure if I'll ever get around to playing them.
#41 Posted by LukeNuk3m (20 posts) -

Just bought TrackMania United. It's like a platformer with fast vehicles. Awesome!

#42 Posted by Shade (120 posts) -

If you dont have any (or few) Valve games, BUY THE VALVE COMPLETE PACK NOW!
You get every single Valve game for 75 bucks! Insane value!
Left4Dead, TF2, Counter-Strike(all), Every Half-Life just to name a few things. If you're new to pc gaming, or interested in it, these sales are an amazing place to start.
Btw, anyone who doesnt have tf2 on pc, get it now. It's the definitive version, and its insanely fun, I'm not kidding. Do yourself a favor.
/end steam/valve fanboy rant.

#43 Posted by dsplayer1010 (2227 posts) -

Bought Team Fortress 2 and Garry's Mod. Money well spent

#44 Posted by AspiringAndy (332 posts) -

I never thought that Bioshock would ever sell for that cheap.
Considering I havent played it Im gonna buy that :)
And I thought that Post Christmas sales only existed in places like Best Buy.

#45 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

Dude, Bioshock for $5?
I'll probably buy World of Goo though.

#46 Posted by Fawk (67 posts) -

What it does is show you just how much money they are making off these games at regular retail prices.

#47 Posted by Wrect (315 posts) -

Thanks for the heads-up, Jeff. 

#48 Posted by dagas (2748 posts) -

I bought Beyond Good & Evil for €3.72  had it on PS2 before, but never finished it, great game.

#49 Posted by Kazona (3060 posts) -

I'm still debating whether or not to get Left 4 Dead since I've never really been a multiplayer kinda guy.

#50 Posted by Aaron_G (1611 posts) -

Thats a lot of discounts. I would go grab BioShock, but I already have it!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.