Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Buying a game on Steam, only to see it on sale days later...!

• 65 results
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By JoelTGM

Anyone else done this?  I bought Dragon Age for $49.99, then a few days later I saw it for like $37.99.  Just the other day I bought Portal for $14.99, and now today it's for $4.99!!!   and I haven't even touched Portal yet, if only I had waited...  that's $22 I would have saved, and I could have used the money to buy a couple more games on sale...

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By OmegaPirate

I did the same with torchlight bud- while i dont regret paying what i did at the time (thought it was a steal) - it is a little sickening to see the same game go down even more :(

gazel_ministry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By gazel_ministry
    @DOUBLESHOCK said:
    " I bought Dragon Age for $49.99, then a few days later I saw it for like $37.99. "
    This.  Also did the same thing with STALKER. It went on sale the day after I made the purchase.
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By JoelTGM

yeah Torchlight went as low as $5 in the one day sale thing!  quite a drop from $20.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By AndrewB

I bought Dragon Age for full price thinking it was going to be a long time before that game went on sale. Days later came the Thanksgiving sale for, I think, the price you mentioned (maybe a little more). Then it went on sale again this Christmas/New Year. Bah! I never pay full retail for a game (the only two I've done that for in years were Dragon Age and... ugh... Madden 10). This situation has taught me never to buy at launch. Wait even a week or two and the price will be more reasonable.

Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Slippy

Lesson of the day - never buy games before a holiday season.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Jimbo

I rarely buy anything from Steam unless it's in a 50+% off sale, for exactly that reason.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Emilio

That's why I usually buy my steam games when I know they will be on sale.

harrypmgaga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By harrypmgaga

I've heard that if it's only a few days you can file a ticket to Steam Support and they can refund the difference. It hasn't personally happened to me, but it has happened to some people I know.  

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Cerza

I had that happen to me with Max Payne, but eh, that's the way it goes.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Capum15

I grabbed The Orange Box. It's on regular Holiday Sale for like, $23 (the price I got it).

Then it went up on the exclusive one day sale for $15.

Other than that, no other game(s) have done that to me so far.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By mikemcn

Yea, I grabbed Red Faction Guerilla for 50 percent off at 19.99. The next day it got another 50% off and was 9.99. I didnt know Steam could compound sales like that.  

I almost bought mass effect for 19.99 yesterday, thank god i didnt, its now 4.99.
    fishmicmuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By fishmicmuffin
    @Mikemcn:  Yeah I own Mass Effect for the xbox already but I'm tempted to get it again... It's hard to go wrong for 5 bucks.
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By penguindust
    @DOUBLESHOCK said:
    " yeah Torchlight went as low as $5 in the one day sale thing!  quite a drop from $20. "
    This, although I picked it up when it was at the $10 sale price.  I didn't think it would go lower than that.  On the other hand, I was fortunate enough to get KOTOR when it was $2.50.  This holiday it's only dropped to $5.
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JoelTGM

oh, and I also bought Day of Defeat: Source for a friend just over a week ago, and that of course went on sale shortly after... ah Steam makes me sad sometimes.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Nictel

Yeah it's a pain in the but when that happens, though in Steam's defence this happens in normal stores as well. What I find worse is the 24 hour, 75% off!, sales. Like the current Sam & Max sale.  From 59,99€  for 14,99€, I already spend way too much money on the current sale. But this seems like a steal. 

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Yeah that's exactly why I don't buy games unless it's on the daily sale. I'm going to wait until the last day to buy the rest.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By StaticFalconar

I did see Torchlight go for 5 bucks cheaper after I bought for ten one day earlier, but I wasn't too razzed by it. If you're gonna to buy a game from steam play it immediately so even if it goes on sale the day after, you can say to yourself that extra 5 bucks I paid wasfor the time I played before the sale. This is why certain games I don't feel like I absolutely have to play the first day I will just simply wait for a sale.

AgentofChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AgentofChaos

Did the same thing with bf2. Bought it on Black Friday, holiday sale was better by 10 bucks.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By swoxx

This just happened to me with skyrim, bought it yesterday, now its 33% off :(

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Simplexity

Never buy anything on Steam during Xmas unless it's on sale, it's one of the 10 commandments I believe.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By BoG

I'm sorry so many people have had this issue. I haven't flinched unless a game was under $10 (the exception being Civilization V GOTY edition). I don't think I spent more than $100 on nearly a dozen games. <3 u Steem!

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SuperWristBands

2 years old? fuck it. 

I bought Sonic Generations when it was 33% off thinking it would never be a daily deal because it is too new. Well, a few days later it was a daily deal and like 50% off or something. Not a big deal but it still hurts bro.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#24  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

My friend once bought the original portal for $20. Two days later the Orange Box went on sale for $5. He was so pissed.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By amir90

Boderlands GOTY...

Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Beaudacious

What a bunch of cry babies!

I bought Skyrim on release for 60$, its 40$ now. Do i care? No. Why you ask? Cause its a great fucking game worth every penny, and Bethesda deserves it all. Great products deserve compensation.

I payed 50$ for the Orange box now its essential free, do i care? No.

To each person certain games are worth full price, while sales allow you to buy games you're unsure about. If you feel bad about buying a game you adore at full price, then you need to rethink your cheapskateness. Unfortunately most people don't understand this till they actually produce a good/service for sale themselves.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By swoxx

@Beaudacious said:

What a bunch of cry babies!

I bought Skyrim on release for 60$, its 40$ now. Do i care? No. Why you ask? Cause its a great fucking game worth every penny, and Bethesda deserves it all. Great products deserve compensation.

I payed 50$ for the Orange box now its essential free, do i care? No.

To each person certain games are worth full price, while sales allow you to buy games you're unsure about. If you feel bad about buying a game you adore at full price, then you need to rethink your cheapskateness. Unfortunately most people don't understand this till they actually produce a good/service for sale themselves.

I'm talking like 5 hours though from purchase from price drop. You may not care, others do.

KimChi4U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By KimChi4U

I bought Saints Row the Third for full price and only got around to playing a couple of hours due to being busy. I checked the steam sale and saw it for $33.49.

xplay25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29  Edited By xplay25

Yeah, but it's one of those things that will destroy you if you don't just let it go, hahaha. I spent $10 on Gothic 3 before the holiday sales, and then it was $2.49, for example. I twitched a little and then moved on. But man, it is torture.

If I could have, I would have spent $300 on Steam this Christmas. But I only ended up with 3 games, two of which were Skyrim and The Witcher 2. I figure that's pretty great.

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Sayishere

I mean if you buy the game, and then the next day, or maybe couple of days the game is cheaper, i would be annoyed yes. But after like a week i dont really care, i mean you bought the game because you wanted to play it straight away right?

Rule on thumb for Steam in particular, always wait for sales, for games you dont really feel like playing, or paying full price for.

Tomkang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Tomkang

Fallout 3 dlc on xbox, I bought all of them and then the next day they all went 50% off >.>

WhyBeAre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By WhyBeAre

On Steam I usually avoid buying anything unless it is a daily deal, but on X-Box I buy things when I want them. I bought the Forza 4 season pass about 8 hours before it went on sale, feels bad.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Branthog

Yeah, but since I made approximately 100 different transactions on Steam in the past ten days, I can't remember the exact occurance. (And yes, I'm serious - my Visa was halted four times and I had to call up to verify everything was okay - I do this many times a year with Visa due to Steam, because Steam doesn't let you fucking buy multiple copies of the same game and you can't buy gifts and non-gifts at the same time.)

What I hate more is buying a game on Steam for $30 only to find out a couple months later that it's already on GOG for like $4.99.

Storphrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Storphrax

I bought Deus Ex for $50 the day before it went on sale for 66% off.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I bought Portal 2 for fiddy bucks …

plainplease

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By plainplease

i feelya. bought bastion before christmas when it was marked down to $10, then it dropped to $5 just a couple days after. it was still totally worth what i paid though

Fozimuth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Fozimuth

I don't buy anything on Steam that isn't already less than $5 unless it's on sale. I waited months to buy Portal 2 because I was completely certain it would go on sale in the summer.

Tofin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#39  Edited By Tofin

This happens to me all the time. Not just for Steam games, but for almost everything game related, and I do mean everything.

The only real way to make sure you never miss out on any bargains is to just never buy anything, sadly.

BUCK3TM4N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By BUCK3TM4N

so far not yet

CrimsonNoir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#41  Edited By CrimsonNoir

I'm glad I decided to wait on Bastion, even though $10 is still a good price it was on sale for $5 a month ago so I knew it would be back eventually.

chrjz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By chrjz

@Swoxx said:

This just happened to me with skyrim, bought it yesterday, now its 33% off :(

I feel your pain... the same thing just happened to me. "Oh, yeah, the Creation Kit comes out tomorrow; I had better buy Skyrim!" *next day the Creation Kit is released accompanied by 33% off*

D:

CJduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43  Edited By CJduke

Classic Steam, will getcha every time.

RavenX302

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By RavenX302

I never buy from Steam without it being on sale. I haven't spent more than 15 bones on a single purchase.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Branthog

I wish they'd have a grace period. Like, if it goes on sale within a week of you buying it, you get it for the sale price (the other just turns into Steam wallet/credit).

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#46  Edited By ajamafalous
    @Branthog said:

I wish they'd have a grace period. Like, if it goes on sale within a week of you buying it, you get it for the sale price (the other just turns into Steam wallet/credit).

That's not a terrible idea (refunding to Steam wallet; would be good business for them), but I can't help but feel it's too slippery a slope. The grace period's a week? Suddenly people bitching about buying the game and it going on sale 10 days later, etc.
    Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Branthog

@ajamafalous said:

@Branthog said:

That's not a terrible idea (refunding to Steam wallet; would be good business for them), but I can't help but feel it's too slippery a slope. The grace period's a week? Suddenly people bitching about buying the game and it going on sale 10 days later, etc.

It cuts enough of the bite, though. Seeing it go on sale a week later is fine. That happens online lots. But when you buy it today and it goes on a steep sale twelve hours later, it blows. It has happened to me a couple of times. Amazon used to give you the difference back if the price changed on an item within 30 days (any item, in fact). I think they stopped doing that, though.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#48  Edited By Jeust

Happened to me too with Super Meat Boy. I bought it at 14.99€, and then came a indie sale and it was with another bunch of games at 5$.  

I also bought Nier at launch at 70€, and after a couple of months the price lowered to 30€. Oh well, I loved that game. 

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#49  Edited By TheHT

It's rough, but you gotta fight temptation and wait for either the weekend, midweek, or seasonal sale before you make a purchase. Unless the game's brand new I suppose.

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Sayishere

Thats the cycle of life, not only with games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.