Custom Steam Grid View Icons

#1 Edited by FlamingHobo (4483 posts) -

Anyone else been using this view in Steam?

Discovered it recently and ever since I've just been hooked on replacing old icons with custom ones. Just wanted to share some of the custom images I use too for anyone else using this view, and if this kicks off I'll try to keep a list, or make an album, of all the submitted icons.

Anyway, hope someone finds these useful! (And for those wondering I've listed my main web sources just below!)

NeoGaf Thread - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=477211

Steam Banners Website - http://steambanners.booru.org/

Alice: Madness Returns
Baldur's Gate
Baldur's Gate II
Black Mesa
Darksiders
Dead Island
Dungeon Keeper 2
Fallout 3
Guild Wars 2
Heroes of Might & Magic III
League of Legends
Mirror's Edge
Thief
Torchlight
Vampire The Masquerade Redemption
#2 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Icons are inefficient. Give me an alphabetical list.

Looks real nice, though.

#3 Posted by FlamingHobo (4483 posts) -

@Ravenlight: Each to their own, the icons are alphabetical however.

#4 Posted by AndrewB (7617 posts) -

Huh, I had no idea this was a thing. The customization, I mean. I also agree about list view, but that's just because I have so many damn games. But the "buttons" list definitely looks a lot more dandy.

#5 Posted by CornBREDX (5302 posts) -

Ya, I prefer grid view. It was really nice when they added the ability to put your own pictures.  
Makes adding non steam games less ugly (such as Black Mesa Source which will eventually be on steam but isn't yet).

#6 Posted by FlamingHobo (4483 posts) -

@AndrewB: Yeah, neither did I 'til about a week ago! Looking at the NeoGAF thread it looks like the option has been around for about six months now! The amount of games has never really been a problem for me so far. I'm rockin' 150+ games with no trouble.

#7 Posted by Galiant (2193 posts) -

@FlamingHobo: You can actually run Dungeon Keeper 2?

#8 Posted by FlamingHobo (4483 posts) -

@Galiant said:

Yup. If you buy it through gog.com it comes with an update that pretty much makes the game run smooth as butter.

#9 Posted by Galiant (2193 posts) -
@FlamingHobo

@Galiant said:

Yup. If you buy it through gog.com it comes with an update that pretty much makes the game run smooth as butter.

I like you. Because of you I'll get to play Dungeon Keeper 2 and fancy up my Steam library all on the same day!
#10 Posted by Gladiator_Games (444 posts) -
@Galiant Cept mutliplayer still craps out after 20 min :(
#11 Posted by RazielCuts (2954 posts) -

I like to see all the deets about a game, hours played, cheevos, friends who have it, news articles about it. Much better than just an icon, even though it does look nice.

#12 Posted by ConfusedOwl (942 posts) -

Wow this is great. I didn't even realize you could replace the icons. Thanks for sharing.

#13 Edited by FlamingHobo (4483 posts) -

@Galiant: @Ezakael: I aim to please!

#14 Posted by Demoskinos (14835 posts) -

Got way to many games to use that. I'd be scrolling fo' dayz son

#15 Posted by Galiant (2193 posts) -

@Gladiator_Games: @FlamingHobo: Yeah, unfortunately it seems even the GoG version of Dungeon Keeper 2 is still not entirely fixed. I've had the game crash on me twice in four hours playing through the single-player campaign.

At least my Steam library looks all fancy now.

#16 Posted by FlamingHobo (4483 posts) -

@Galiant: Even after applying the fix? Sorry that it's not running as smoothly as I advertised on your rig. :(

#17 Posted by RoujinX (419 posts) -
Rayman: Origins
#18 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Thanks for the info this is great for all the non-steam games I launch out of my Steam library.

#19 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4351 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

Icons are inefficient. Give me an alphabetical list.

Looks real nice, though.

#20 Posted by Subjugation (4720 posts) -

Too bad I haven't come across one for PlanetSide 2 yet. That's what I get for downloading the game from it's website rather than Steam.

#21 Posted by granderojo (1788 posts) -

Is it possible to install that Windows 8 skin for steam? If so how would I go about doing that? Anyone got a tutorial google has failed me.

#22 Posted by Inkerman (1451 posts) -

Looks nice, I have too many games though.

#23 Posted by RoujinX (419 posts) -
Mirror's Edge
#24 Posted by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -

It looks nice, but as said before I got too many games to use it. Easier to just search by name in a nice list form. If they could keep the info you get from the normal list view in there when you hovered over the photos I could see myself trying it for awhile.

#25 Posted by Vextroid (1405 posts) -
@thabigred said:

Is it possible to install that Windows 8 skin for steam? If so how would I go about doing that? Anyone got a tutorial google has failed me.

Download the skin and place the folder that is in the download (usually titled the name of the skin) into a folder called 'skins' in the Steam directory. 

Windows 8 Skin 

(The skin the OP is using is called 'Pixel Vision' it's a fantastic skin, highly recomended.) 
PixelVision
#26 Posted by Andorski (5310 posts) -

No category organization? I ain't got time for that!

#27 Posted by Sweep (8861 posts) -

That looks cool, but I have too many games for it to be practical.

Besides, the only thing I click on these days is Dota 2, anyway...

#28 Posted by JoeyRavn (4974 posts) -

Looks good, but it's rendered a bit redundant by Big Picture. If I wanted icons, I'd fired up Big Picture. If I'm using the mouse, I prefer to have a list. A lot less scrolling around.

#29 Posted by RoujinX (419 posts) -

@JoeyRavn: The custom icons work on big picture mode as well.

...Am I the only one who knows this?

#30 Posted by bingbangboom (101 posts) -

I really love using grid view for all my games. I was just putting them on my custom desktop but this is just as good and at least shows what I am playing even if it is not a Steam game. I do think there are some possibilities with better views or maybe a combination with the list for an easy search. It does lag when I scroll threw all my games but still pretty cool. I just have too many games to have the grids too big.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.