Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Do buy games that are sale just for the sake of having them?

• 83 results
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Poll Do buy games that are sale just for the sake of having them? (331 votes)

Hell Yea. 62%
    Heavens No. 16%
    Shut the fuck up Donny! 22%

I noticed this growing trend with me ever since I built my PC. Every time a game goes on sale, or Steam is having one of their major sales event then I will buy game just for the sake of having them on my list. I am fully aware I will never play them or ever get around to playing but it's just gives me a warm feeling knowing that they are on my list.

Are you also a victim of this addiction? Maybe there's a support group in my area for Steam addicts.

• 
    bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

Ummm...of course not, I would never do that....

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I did when I I had a bunch of expendable cash. Not so much recently.

myniceicelife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The games I buy are usually ones that I plan to play. Whether I actually get around to playing them is another thing. Then again how can you pass up Super Hexagon for 29 cents even if I don't plan on ever playing it?

wadtomaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would buy something if I'm interested in playing it and it's on sale, even if I know I probably won't get to it any time soon. With how often games go on sale though, especially on steam, I've done that less in the last couple years compared to the past. Then again, I used to do that will full price games too >-> (still sometimes do, bought all 3 Op Rainfall games when they came out, have yet to actually put one of them in my Wii >_>;;;) I'd never buy a game without having some interest in it though, that's just crazy.

GoldROCK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'll buy almost any game under $5.00 if it sparks any interest at all. Steam sales would be my achilles heel, if mine weren't made of gold.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By TwoLines

No!

...Yes.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Sometimes, if it's really cheap and I care a bit about the game itself.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Not new games. But I have bought a bunch of old games just to have them. Sometimes just because I felt like they could deserve some extra credit, and sometimes because I just wanted to contribute after playing something in the older days of low disposable income "read, I pirated or bought used". One of the liberties of earning money is that I can go back and make up for some old evil. :D

Either way, yes those are bought but never going to get played. But I wouldn't do that with something I haven't played before.

sqrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By sqrabbit

Only time I've done that was for Super Hexagon a couple of days ago. 29 cents is begging for you to try/buy it.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

This is the first Steam Sale where I haven't bought anything because I still have a ton of games from previous sales that I need to play and PS+ is feeding me even more games. So I haven't been feeding my addiction these couple of days AND I FEEL TERRIBLE ABOUT IT.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

If I've beaten a game on 360 or something like that and I just want another copy laying around since I got rid of my old one... I'll usually buy one of those on my computer for the sake of it. It's kinda like when I buy the Elder Scrolls games. Always console first then PC when it's on sale/has lots of cool mods.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#62 gamer_152  Moderator

No, I just don't have cash to burn by buying things I don't want.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By afabs515

Just bought Terraria yesterday knowing I would hate it. But it was 2.50, so how could I pass it up. Played 2 minutes of it. Will never open it again.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I mainly do that on Gog.com. buying old games I used to own just so I have a digital copy in case I ever feel like going back and playing simon the sorcerer 3D. Of course, I never do.

I've never bought a game on steam I wasn't interested in playing, unless you count something like ricochet coming in the orange box or whatever.

ryanwhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That was something I used to do. But once you start moving around a lot you just dont have the space to be collecting bullshit you dont need. Finances are an issue too. I do have a handful of gamecube games I never played because they were practically free, but I've never been the kind of person who needed to get a 60 dollar game day 1 then just let it collect dust.

brandonhines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use to buy digital games when they were on sale on a service I liked, but I stopped. There was a time when you didn't know if something would go on sale again and that time has long passed. Steam and PlayStation Network have been great with frequent sales on and price drops. I generally only buy something I plan on playing within the next three months or so.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#68  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

Kinda. I will occasionally repurchase games I already own on other platforms without necessarily having any intention to play them in the near term. There are also plenty of occasions where I buy a game and just never get around to playing it.

Krockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If your gonna put an option like that on your poll....I WILL CLICK IT EVERY TIME! lol

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#70  Edited By fattony12000

It's all a game.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

I've had to stop. I keep doing that with Humble Bundles and Steam sales and I don't have a PC worth a crap to play the games on. It's like I know I'll get around to Tomb Raider eventually, but right now I just can't. It's annoying.

Rxanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'm contemplating buying GTA IV and Euro Truck Simulator 2 just because they're on sale. Neither of them have Steam Cloud support, but they've intrigued me just enough to think about buying them.

Those mods in GTA IV... so dumb

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Send me the games you aren't playing

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

I used to. Now I put them on my wish list instead and only purchase a game if I intend to play it right away.

Budwyzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Budwyzer

Humble Bundle.

Usually there is atleast one game that I have an interest in atleast trying, but then I go ahead and add the rest of the games to my Steam account as well. And generally never even get around to playing the game that I bought the bundle for in the first place. I bought a bundle with Saints Row: The Third in it over a month ago and only just got around to installing it yesterday, though still haven't played it.

But hey, Charity.

No Caption Provided

216 games.

No Caption Provided

Scrolled about halfway down to get to items that I have no play time on, when sorted by playtime.

And 0.1 hours is about as much as anyone should put into DungeonLand, so I'm counting that as played.

Though we also have Swords & Soldiers on the iPad, where it's actually possible to play head-to-head locally.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crithon said:

when the price is 3 bucks, movie ticket prices aren't that cheap any more.

Yep, I wasn't dead set on it but Splunkey for 3 bucks? Fuck it. And Titan Quest I already owned it, but not the expansion pack and I lost my disc so..yay 3 dollars!

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Superkenon

I'm a Steam hoarder with good intentions.

noizy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By noizy

I love the subtle distinction people are making between "I buy them with the intention of playing them, but often time don't get to them" vs. "buying them just to own them". I get the whole idea of "well they're on sale now, and they might not be when I feel like playing that specific game", but that's the crux of the fallacy; most games go back on sale within a few months, so why buy them now if you're not going to play them now? However you rationalize it we're sorta buying games just to own them if they don't get played. By the way, I'm saying all this because I'm so guilty of doing this as well. No judging. :)

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i buy gaem

amani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By amani

I actually had a few game on my "really need to play those once my pc doesn't suck shit" list. Now my pc sucks 80% less fecal matter and I'm only 5% poorer than I was a week ago. Steam sales and the Humble Store are alright.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Yes I do that, I hope to play them all in some way or another (whether beating them or giving them a chance) but I am a realist, Just Cause 1 is never going to get played and 2 will be the same at the rate I can play games nowadays.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#84 fisk0  Moderator

I don't buy just any game on sale, but stuff I think I'd may be interested to try out some time in the future, sure. You never know when the game suddenly is pulled from Steam or whatever, or if your personal economy will change to the worse. Better to buy it when you can afford it, and it's available than to wait until that changes.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, im not an idiot. I only buy games i have full intention of playing when im able to. (when its down downloading/arrives at my house)

Dragon_Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only buy games I will play. But back in the past I did buy the THQ Pack that had a whole bunch of games I won't play, but I learned from that to not buy packs.

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#87  Edited By jaycrockett

The Steam Summer sale was the first one I really got into, and I did end up with some games I'll probably never play. Had the best of intentions though.

For the Christmas sale, I was more controlled, I only bought two games. (One of which I've played already.)

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

lol as soon as I read the thread title I thought HELL YEA

and whaddaya know, first option.

For the record I do want to play them too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.