Do you not buy games if they don't have Steam Cloud support?

Edited 6 months, 20 days ago

Poll: Do you not buy games if they don't have Steam Cloud support? (102 votes)

Yes 13%
No 70%
I SMELL DELICIOUS! 18%

During the last few Steam sales, I've realized I almost never buy games without Steam Cloud support. This is due to my frequent habit of playing a game for a bit and deleting it to make room for another game, only to repeat the process. With Steam Cloud support, I don't have to worry about keeping save files on my machine for backup purposes; they're already in a free cloud service, so no worries there.

This habit, however, has instantly killed numerous deals for me. I didn't buy games like Rogue Legacy and Risk of Rain because they lacked Steam Cloud support. That should be a crime in most states, according to the praise I've heard about those games.

I know I could link a Dropbox account to dump my saves there, but I already have one Dropbox account for the games I make using Unity; I don't want to mix my save files with my projects. I'm also just too lazy to go through the process of transferring my saves to Dropbox.

Has anyone else not purchased a game due to its lack of Steam Cloud support?

#1 Posted by Galiant (2178 posts) -

I only play my PC games on one PC so it doesn't bother me.

#2 Posted by BeachThunder (11686 posts) -

I honestly don't care at all about cloud support.

#3 Posted by ZolRoyce (627 posts) -

I actually turned Cloud support off for Steam, can't stand that stuff, but I have a slow enough internet anyways without Cloud doing whatever it's doing. If a games saves are important to me and I need to delete it and make room, I just find where the hard saves go and put them in a safe keeping folder.

#4 Posted by Superkenon (1379 posts) -

I'd say you're an edge case, since most folks aren't switching computers constantly. Save data is retained even when you uninstall games, so it's really not an issue to people without space either.

Personally, I don't care about cloud saves in the slightest. To me, it's just an annoying step that Steam would have to go through every time for something I'll never use. But I'm probably an edge case on the other side of the equation...!

Also, Rogue Legacy's like 400 megs or something. Download that shit.

#5 Posted by MstrMnyBgs (123 posts) -

Sounds like you just need to get a bigger hard drive if you are deleting things that frequently to make room.

#6 Posted by shinboy630 (1133 posts) -

Sounds like you just need to get a bigger hard drive if you are deleting things that frequently to make room.

You clearly are not living the SSD life.

#7 Posted by Humanity (8799 posts) -

Not really. I mean playing Black Flag on UPLAY is kinda ehhh but it's not the end of the world. UPLAY itself isn't that terrible, it's just the necessity of running two clients at the same time that is a bit of a bother. I actually kind of like the way UPLAY tells you how much time you spent playing a game after you exit it, as in that particular session as opposed to Steams overall number - it makes it real depressing when I hop on "for just a minute to check out one thing" and when I quit the game UPLAY says I played for 2 hrs.

#8 Posted by Beforet (2912 posts) -

I have never actually thought about Steam cloud, so yes I will buy a game, cloud or clear.

#9 Edited by HatKing (5812 posts) -

Those negatives. Took me a second to find the right answer.

No, I don't care about cloud saves. I can't actually think of the last time I needed to use one. I really don't mind keeping save files on my PC. Even if they get deleted when I uninstall a game, well I'm probably uninstalling it because I'm done with it anyway. So, it's never proven a problem. Aside from that, there are a lot of PC games that I don't mind starting from the beginning when I go back to them. Any RTS or sim would probably require me to start over to brush up anyway.

Similarly, I never use the cloud services on Xbox Live or PlayStation Plus either.

#10 Posted by noizy (652 posts) -

The only time Steam Cloud will serve me good is when I wipe my PC.

#11 Posted by Gamer_152 (14051 posts) -

I think it's a great feature when games do have Steam Cloud support, but I'd have to be really on the fence to not get a game because it didn't have it. I haven't done it so far.

#12 Posted by Rxanadu (503 posts) -

My last computer tended to have tons of problems, so I wound up reimaging my computer more frequently than I liked. These moments caused me to constantly discover that, despite backing up my entire Documents folder ( the folder that holds most of my save files) to an external hard drive, I'd have to start games like Deus Ex from the beginning after putting about 6-8 hours into the game. This has happened even when I can locate the save files on the computer.

I just don't want that sort of scenario to occur again with my current computer. So, I've found using the Steam Cloud support to be a lifesaver with my save files.

#13 Posted by Amafi (522 posts) -

@mstrmnybgs said:

Only right way to do the SSD life: 2x500gb samsung 840 evos in a striped array. It's lovely.

#14 Posted by SlashDance (1803 posts) -

@amafi said:

@shinboy630 said:

@mstrmnybgs said:

Only right way to do the SSD life: 2x500gb samsung 840 evos in a striped array. It's lovely.

I'm sure being rich is lovely.

#15 Posted by Draugen (626 posts) -

Nope. And I turn off the cloud support on the games that do.

#16 Posted by SteadyingMeat (1110 posts) -

I'M TIRED AND I DON'T KNOW IF I ANSWERED CORRECTLY

But yeah, I don't really give a crap about Steam Cloud support. I mean it's cool to know that if my PC blows itself up I won't lose all my saves, but still, kinda don't care.

#17 Edited by Svenzon (713 posts) -

I don't care about Steam Cloud, since I've lost more than one save in the cloud.

#18 Edited by JoeyRavn (4948 posts) -

I've never had any problems with Cloud synching losing any of my saves or mixing them up, since I only play on one PC most of the time. I admit that I find it extremely convenient to have an online backup of my saves should anything go wrong, but I wouldn't go as far as not buying a game solely because it doesn't have Steam Cloud (or any other cloud service).

#19 Edited by redrohX (48 posts) -

No, I don't look for it when I'm buying games on Steam, but I do like cloud syncing for saves. It makes sure I can continue with the same session on a different machine, which is what I sometimes do. It's a shame Rogue Galaxy doesn't have it, since you're able to play the game on three different OS's.

#20 Posted by Danteveli (1160 posts) -

Don't look at that stuff when buying a game.

#21 Posted by tourgen (4427 posts) -

Game Save Manager my friend.

I set my game save archive directory to my DropBox directory. I launch both at startup.

#22 Edited by fisk0 (3849 posts) -

I don't look for it all that often, but if a game is available both on GOG and Steam, I go for the DRM free GOG version if the Steam version doesn't utilize some of Steam's more useful features - be it cloud saves, workshop, multiplayer or linux support.

#23 Posted by believer258 (11621 posts) -

Cloud saves are not a factor in my purchasing decisions. I turn them off half the time anyway.

#24 Edited by BaneFireLord (2909 posts) -

Nah. If it's that important that I need to keep playing a non-Cloud game on my laptop, I just make sure to stick the saves in Dropbox. No biggie.

#25 Posted by Ben_H (3305 posts) -

Half the time it just causes a conflict of some type so I usually turn it off. When I went to use the cloud save with Game Dev Tycoon to play it on my laptop yesterday the cloud save was about 2 hours older than the one I wanted to use so I had to boot my desktop and get the right one to sync first anyway.

#26 Posted by PenguinDust (12450 posts) -

It's a bonus not a deal-breaker.

#27 Edited by spraynardtatum (2594 posts) -

I couldn't give two shits about it.

#28 Posted by FriendlyPhoenix (364 posts) -

No. If I need to delete a game that doesn't have built-in cloud support, and I need to keep the save for some reason, I'll just drop the file onto Skydrive. But I'm only ever playing one or two games at a time and very few of them require holding on to the save files after I'm done with them, so I rarely even do that.

#29 Posted by TobbRobb (4579 posts) -

I don't even try to find out if a game has cloud support or not. I've lost a couple of save files this way, but meeeh.

#30 Posted by DJJoeJoe (1317 posts) -

Steam cloud is nice but since it's still not a 100% sure thing for all games I tend to use third party app(s) to manage my overall save files, archive them all up and throw them into a dropbox folder etc. I use GameSave Manager, but I'm sure there are a million other apps that do similar things.

I don't like relying on a transparent system for vital data, hoping it will sync and having no real understanding of when it syncs or what to do if it fails etc.

#31 Posted by ajamafalous (11845 posts) -

I never even look.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.