Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Does this happen to you?

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Nux

Ok, so I buy on Steam with every intention of playing them. But what ends up happening is that I end up never installing them. I don't know why I don't install them, maybe because I don't want to wait for them to install or maybe its because I just forget to install them once I buy them and never get around to installing them.

Either way does this ever happen to any of you?
    unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By unchained

All the freaking time. I've actually decided to hold off on buying some much anticipated games (Shogun 2, Crysis 2) until I've at least played half of the games I purchases at Christmas.

Going to try and firing up Just Cause 2, Divinity II: Dragon Knight Saga, and Stalker this weekend. I also want to start Fallout: New Vegas (also a Christmas gift). Goddamn, I'm really behind.

Ubik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Ubik
    @Unchained said:
    " All the freaking time. I've actually decided to hold off on buying some much anticipated games (Shogun 2, Crysis 2) until I've at least played half of the games I purchases at Christmas. Going to try and firing up Just Cause 2, Divinity II: Dragon Knight Saga, and Stalker this weekend. I also want to start Fallout: New Vegas (also a Christmas gift). Goddamn, I'm really behind. "
    Ubik: [Reads insightful post that hits close to home. Sighs.  Looks at lengthy list of Steam games, maybe half of which he's ever installed, let alone played. Stares at wallet across the room. Glances back at lengthy Steam list.  Cries into his coffee. ]
    Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Nux
    @Unchained:  That Is the same thing I'm doing. I haven't bought a game from steam in so long. I'm trying beat all the games I'm playing now before I get anything else from steam.
    scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By scarace360

it does and thats what valve wants

Ubik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ubik
    @Unchained: Divinty II: Dragon Knight Saga was one of the few Steam sale purchases that I actually installed and played.  I love that game; it's fast, fun, and unpretentious for an action RPG.  Also, turning into a dragon is pretty sweet.  Damn, I think I'm gonna go play that thing now...
    Avatar image for thekeyboarddemon
    TheKeyboardDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TheKeyboardDemon

I usually install games as soon as I buy them, but then end up not playing them for months. The worse thing for me is I start them up to complete the tutorial and then not playing them for months, when I do I have to do the tutorial again and once I've completed that I take a break and end up leaving it for months again. Maybe I have ADD or somthing!

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Nux
    @TheKeyboardDemon: That's pretty much how I play Dawn of war 2. Boot it up for a few days then put it down for a few months.  Steam is evil that way.
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Yes, yes it does.

And I hate myself for it. It's a good thing I don't have much else to spend money on, hopefully during the summer I'll have enough interest to play and finish some of these games.

Worthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Worthy

Actually, no. I almost never buy games of Steam unless its a super knock off price, cause here in Norway games are cheaper in stores then on Steam.

unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By unchained
    @Nux said:

" @Unchained:  That Is the same thing I'm doing. I haven't bought a game from steam in so long. I'm trying beat all the games I'm playing now before I get anything else from steam. "

It definitely brings me down when I start tallying the games I own (steam, console, PC-retail, etc) and discovering that there are many that I apparently purchased just to show off to myself that I think the bookshelf is a valid console as I put more games in it than in my machines. gah!

Well, this year I've really decided that I'm not buying a damn thing until I've at the very least installed and have given a fair shake to the games just looking pretty on my shelves / in my steam library.

@Ubik:
    Thanks for the mini-review! I think you just set the path for my weekend.
    Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Nux

I blame the too good to pass up Steam sales they have. They are evil.
    Six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Six

yeah, i have several games on steam that i never played.  but i have limited my game purchases to sales where prices are >50% off.  Unless it was something under $10 to start.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Nux
    @Six: The way they price games on games at times is just too good to pass up. By not buying them you are losing money, thats how I got torchlight when it was on sale for $5.
    Brake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By Brake

Looking at my Steam games list, I've actually installed a surprising number of my games and at least played them a little bit. My problem is that I don't finish my games. Like I remember really being into New Vegas when I played it, but now I haven't touched it in 5 months.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Marz

I still have like 10 games i haven't installed and played from the Steam Christmas sales.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By Rhaknar

you dont buy games you want to play on steam.

you buy games you MIGHT want to play,,,one day...eventually. At least on sales. That's how I see it :P

Avatar image for killroycantkill
    killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18  Edited By killroycantkill

I have a bunch of games that came in a pack when I only wanted like 1 or 2 games. So the other game usually end up just staying on my library never to be played.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Nux
    @Rhaknar: That's pretty much how it goes.

@Killroycantkill: Can't you just buy those games from the pack without buying the full pack?
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#20  Edited By Geno

Take it from someone that has bought close to 400 games on Steam and has played less than half of them (and completed only a small fraction), DON'T give in to the sales. If you spend $15 on 4 games for example, that might seem like a good deal, but it's essentially throwing $15 down the toilet if you aren't going to play them. Make a list of the games that you really want to play this year and just save your money for those. There are so many good games coming out right now that you're bound to be kept busy just with new releases. If you have any money or time left over, only then buy miscellaneous sale games on Steam. I've only gotten a handful of games off Steam so far this year when normally I would've gotten at least a few dozen already, and I'm a lot happier and spending less to boot. 

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#22  Edited By StarvingGamer

When I buy a game on Steam it's typically because of a sense of gamer obligation and an amazing deal. Or it's an old PC game that I don't want to have to keep track of the discs for like Evil Genius and Freedom Force.

That being said, I've probably only played $400 worth of the approximate $1600 worth in games I own on Steam.
    Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

No, I install games as soon as I buy them. I then usually play them for an hour and focus my attention on completing another game.... eventually.

willylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By willylo

Yup, I'm in the same boat :(. All that money...

Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By the_hiro_abides

I install everything. As for playing everything... well it's nice that it's there.

Avatar image for killroycantkill
    killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26  Edited By killroycantkill
    @Nux: Yeah but if I don't buy the pack I'm losing money! I can't afford not to buy the packs.
    Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Nux
    @the_hiro_abides said: 

" As for playing everything... well it's nice that it's there. "

And that's why I think  most of us are in the boat we are in.  We buy all these games but most of them never get installed, and even if the games we buy do get installed the  mindset of its nice that they are there is what stops us from beating or just playing the games we buy. Man, Steam is evil.
    sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By sameeeeam

Nope. At least, not very often.

Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
    IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

Yea its getting bad, I have over 150 games, I've decided to only buy things I like enough to put on my wishlist.  I've started making my way through the games one by one by splitting games into categories, games I've finished and enjoyed, games I don't intend to play again, games I can dip into occasionally and enjoy the heck out of such as TF2 or Super Meat Boy and games I need to give a good amount of time to.

I really want to play New Vegas and try out a bunch of mods but it takes such a long time to mod it properly that I'm fed up of the game by the time I get to it so from now on I'm keeping games fairly simple.  One or two great mods, screw the little ones that don't add too much.
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#30  Edited By Rhaknar

can you buy a game on steam and not download it? im actually thinking of buying bioshock 1 and 2 and just chuck them directly in my "finished/done with" category where my games that arent downloaded are... just to own them on a system that wont melt to the fucking ground...again (yes, im talking about the 360).

i remember a oooooooooold bombcast where they were talking about some steam sale and ryan said he bought GTA4 and his reasoning was " it was 5 bucks....", well thats xactly how i feel about bioshock  1 and 2 at the moment, i own them, finished them, do not intend to play them (at least not now)... but its 5 bucks (well 5 each)

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By captain_clayman

i just kinda stockpile all my games up so i have a ton of them to play during the season of no harvest (around e3 time).  like a squirrel.

i have like...60 or so steam games now, most of them dirt cheap, i've beaten like 15 of them and have gotten into like maybe 30.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.