For Christmas I Want a New Steam Client

#1 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

Not a new interface (though that could use a some work in a few spots) but just some good old optimizations. I'm running an overclocked Q6600, 7 GB of RAM and a fiber optic internet connection...yet the client can easily hang for 15-30 seconds during routine tasks like switching tabs or opening game categories.

Am I the only one who has these problems?

#2 Posted by JCTango (1362 posts) -

@nintendoeats: Yeah I get that too, and I'm on a mid-high end system.

#3 Posted by Jams (2961 posts) -

I start getting those problems when I have like 225 games installed at once.

#4 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1807 posts) -

@nintendoeats: Mine has to crash once before actually logging me in, but that may be because of some filtering software...

Anyway, there's definitely room for improvement in the out-of-game stuff. Stuff like:

• Why can't I trade in a browser?
  • Why can't the steam store benchmark my system to see if I can run the game I am looking at?
  • Why can't Steam check for video drivers automatically?
  • Why doesn't small mode let me look at the store at all?

That's all I can think of for now.

#5 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

It's slow, yeah. But it's all fairly easy to live with. Then again I rarely do sweeps of the store or anything like that so..

#6 Posted by easthill (351 posts) -

Tabs. That's all I want. Became apparent to me in the holiday sale, how much I use tabs when I browse anything.

#7 Posted by dudeglove (7841 posts) -

Pfft. The fact it actually works nowadays is an achievement in itself.

#8 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

@c0l0nelp0c0rn1: Actually, Steam DOES update ATi graphics cards now. Has done for a while.

#9 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@nintendoeats said:

@c0l0nelp0c0rn1: Actually, Steam DOES update ATi graphics cards now. Has done for a while.

Not automatically. You have to activate the updater yourself.

That said, I'd rather Steam not automatically update my drivers as soon as they're available. Usually that results in a few games stopping working for a few days.

#10 Posted by JustinNotJason (422 posts) -

I guess I've been on STEAM long enough to remember when the client barely worked and was only for launching Counter Strike and Half life. So now, even in it's unoptimized state, I'm content.

Oh man, the dark days of steam when friend lists were just for show and they had no real store to speak of.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.