Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Gabe Newell comments on Windows 8

This topic is locked from further discussion.

djames216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 22

#1  Edited By djames216

I've just read this article about Gabe Newell commenting on Windows 8 and what it may mean for the future of Steam. I don't know much about Windows 8 but would I be mistaken that Microsoft want to start turning Windows more and more into something like IOS? In other words they want (and like the idea of) a closed off market that only they control which could leave Steam out in the cold for Windows 8 and beyond. This kinda stuff worries me as I love Steam. Any thoughts?

haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By haffy

They would actually need people to upgrade their OS for this to work. If they keep this shit in people won't bother.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#3  Edited By TheMasterDS

If Microsoft was wiser they'd embrace Valve for making such a kick ass service everyone loves and make the thing come standard. Instead they're trying to cut out the company who's been showing them up for a decade.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By xymox

@djames216 said:

In other words they want (and like the idea of) a closed off market that only they control which could leave Steam out in the cold for Windows 8 and beyond. This kinda stuff worries me as I love Steam. Any thoughts?

That's the underlying vibe I've been getting since I started seeing videos of it. Shipping with a ton of copyright protection stuff as well I am sure... Like the Flash restriction thing. Thankfully there's Linux, and valve is already moving towards that. Games are the only thing keeping me in windows. Already have linux installed and use it when I know I'm only going to be browsing.

CitizenKano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By CitizenKano
    crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By crusader8463

They want to turn it into a super locked down closed system like the 360 that requires a monthly fee to do anything on.

djames216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#7  Edited By djames216
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Locking this duplicate thread.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.