Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Games/Achievements Missing

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#2  Edited By Forcen

I'm guessing they removed them because they appear on everyones Steam games list if they don't.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

#3  Edited By LordAndrew

You mean achievements, right? Because we have pages for those. Their achievements were never removed though, as they were never added in the first place. I actually have talked to Jeff about this in the past and no solution came out of it due to the way Steam handles the games.

The problem is that those games aren't actually listed on anyone's Steam profiles as games that they own. The easiest workaround would be to check those achievements regardless, but then the player counts would be hugely inflated, and people who don't even own any Source games would have it on their list. There are two alternatives, neither of which I see as likely to ever happen. 

One option would be to have an opt-in for those games, allowing users to indicate that they play DIPRIP or America's Army 3 or whatever, and have the achievement updating system actually check for achievements in those games for users who have opted in. That would require additional options to be implemented on the interface, and since the developers seem to like keeping things super simplified that seems unlikely

A second, slightly more likely solution, would be to check the games people played in the past week. If they've played one of those free games then it will check for achievements in them. If they haven't, then there's no need to check for achievements.

So there are ways to workaround the problem. They'll just take a bit more effort.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

#5  Edited By LordAndrew
    @Tabarnaco: Well, that data does show on the profile, so I imagine it would be possible to retrieve that data.
    Yeah, they did appear in the list of games for a brief period, but were removed shortly after. That was well before Giant Bomb's achievement support existed.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.