Goddammit, Steam...

• 60 results
#1 Edited by GetEveryone (4458 posts) -

I opened the Steam store as usual, fully expecting to lay down a few quid. I scoped Limbo fairly quickly and, having wanted to play it for a while, counted out six shiny, internet monies.

Then I saw Deus Ex:HR and thought: 'Well, I'm buying it day 1 anyway, may as well get it now...'

Now, when I saw the Quakecon pack, my first thought was just to laugh at it. Who would even buy that? Then I decided to peruse. I noticed Doom 3 for a few bucks and thought, you know what, I've wanted to play that for years; I'll get it. Then something similar happened with New Vegas... well, when I realised I could have every game in the pack for not much more than standard retail price for a new release? It was a done deal.

My bank account is now almost £100 lighter.

#2 Posted by Stonyman65 (2871 posts) -

It's a great thing isn't it?

#3 Posted by GentlemanlyGentleman (320 posts) -

Why did I open this thread!? Must resist fantastic savings on games I'll never play.

God damn you!

#4 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5293 posts) -

Hey and a free weekend of Brink too. Well, for those that didn't buy the Quakecon pack. Might as well check it out.

#5 Posted by mosdl (3259 posts) -

Steam is run by gamers, you can tell. Worse, buy Rage and get 10 more bucks off the complete pack.

Though I wonder if I should try out Brink for free this weekend

#6 Posted by Malphye (410 posts) -

@GentlemanlyGentleman said:

Why did I open this thread!? Must resist fantastic savings on games I'll never play. God damn you!

Could not have said it better myself.

#7 Posted by Dick_Mohawk (384 posts) -

It's a trap a lot of Steam users have fallen into...me included. I have to give myself a good talking to from time to time to resist these offers.

#8 Posted by GetEveryone (4458 posts) -
@mosdl said:

Worse, buy Rage and get 10 more bucks off the complete pack.

If I'd known that before I went through with it, I can guarantee Rage would be in my games library right now.
#9 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

my friend just bought the ID pack, a borderlands 4 pack (???) and he bought me chantelleise because he got a bunch of money.

so hooray

#10 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1602 posts) -

Tell me about it. I just got done opening up Steam to download that free Brink DLC and when I finished I had pre-ordered (Or, in reality, I pressed the "I can't be bothered to remember when this game comes out and would like to play it when it does, so please automatically download this" button) both Skyrim and RAGE. I also managed to buy Morrowind.

#11 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2699 posts) -

I just bought RAGE, Skyrim, and the Quake Con pack for $160. The sad thing? I already owned 28 of the 31 games in the Quake Con pack. I just wanted the TF2 hats and Hunted.

That does, however, put me at a nice even 450 games owned on Steam. Not bad for a console gamer.

#12 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

Luckily i always manage to snap out of it before tapping the sexy green purchase button 

I did get Limbo tho, its fucking amazing.

#13 Posted by RaikohBlade (593 posts) -

Maybe you need more self-restraint~

#14 Posted by SmasheControllers (2553 posts) -

About to buy the Quake Con Pack, the New Vegas DLC, Brink and a ton of other games like FUCKING Quake III Arena for $70 is a great deal. Also with Brink free this weekend, I realized that the game is much better on PC.

Sidenote: I already have New Vegas, will I get a giftable copy?

#15 Posted by DillonWerner (1520 posts) -
@Rolyatkcinmai said:

I just bought RAGE, Skyrim, and the Quake Con pack for $160. The sad thing? I already owned 28 of the 31 games in the Quake Con pack. I just wanted the TF2 hats and Hunted.

That does, however, put me at a nice even 450 games owned on Steam. Not bad for a console gamer.

Not bad for a console gamer.. I'd hate to see you if you were a PC gamer.
#16 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

i keep looking at my steam basket, with Skyrim, Rage and the Complete pack on it... Skyrim and Rage mostly to knock down the price of the pack (although im probably buying Skyrim at launch anyway)

...but i know ill most likely never play any doom...or any quake...and i own oblivion, fou3 and new vegas >_> so basically i only really want brink (which i actually enjoyed the 30mins i played earlier), Hunted (meh), Rogue Warrior (super meh), Marrowind (for completion sake mostly), the latest New Vegas DLC sicne i already own the other 2 and Call Of Cthulu (ok this one i actually want, been on my wishlist for ages)... thats it

but at the same time... what kind of a pc gamer am i (which i am now) that i dont have fucking doom and quake in my collection >_< THIS IS HOW THEY GET YA!

#17 Posted by Willin (1285 posts) -

...I own most of these games on other platforms but it's SOOOO CHEAP and that Quake Rocket Launcher for TF2 is fucking sick.

AHDSFHSDFGHDFKJHGFNMKDFBMDFBDSFNBDNBDF.

#18 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

Can't wait till I have income. I'll just have a button on my computer that says "buy all steam products currently at reduced prices" on my desktop.

#19 Posted by CrossTheAtlantic (1146 posts) -

In probably unrelated news, Gabe Newell just ordered a  £100 steak dinner.

#20 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -
@CrossTheAtlantic said:
In probably unrelated news, Gabe Newell just ordered a  £100 steak dinner.
this made me laugh
#21 Posted by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -
@mosdl said:

Steam is run by gamers, you can tell.

#22 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

i was expecting something bad, but this is good. yep, steam and them always having a sale on something.

#23 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6395 posts) -

I'm trying my damnedest to resist Doom 3. Man, if I had a PC that even had a chance of running Rage, I'd probably be ordering it from Steam today. They might as well as have me on a leash.

Moderator Online
#24 Posted by SexualBubblegumX (542 posts) -
@mosdl said:

Steam is run by gamers, you can tell. Worse, buy Rage and get 10 more bucks off the complete pack.

Though I wonder if I should try out Brink for free this weekend

You mean Sleazy motherfucks.... Oh wait, Gamers are sleazy half the time anyways. *Looks at Gamefaqs*
#25 Posted by Marz (5671 posts) -

I ended up pre-ordering Deus Ex: HR for 28$  from greenmangaming.com but i don't really know how reliable that company is.   Apparently they will send me a steam code before launch, hopefully i don't get scammed but yeah i know the feeling when you see lots of games for discounted prices and you just can't help but add them to your collection.

#26 Posted by bybeach (4996 posts) -

Just do the intelligent thing. Buy it all...

#27 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

Steam is the only thing that makes me wish I had a gaming PC.

#28 Posted by morecowbell24 (81 posts) -

I really want that rocket launcher, but I already got all the quake games, besides 4, so that's holding me back at the moment. I do want some Doom 3 badly too though

#29 Posted by Commisar123 (1798 posts) -

exact same thing happned to me

#30 Posted by YouMakeKittyMad (31 posts) -

i couldn't even begin to help myself. as soon as i saw the quakecon pack i had to buy it. there were at least 4 games in there i had been waiting to buy on sale and i got them all (and like 25 other games) for the cost of one new major release. finally got to play Brink on the PC, which might actually get me playing an FPS again after a couple years off. interested to try Hunted, probably going to end up playing Morrowind again, and will actually finally play Oblivion.

also oddly excited to have Commander Keen, for whatever reason.

#31 Edited by iDarktread (1189 posts) -

If somebody buys Quake 4 before the 8th, and does not play Team Fortress 2 enough to care about the rocket launcher included with your purchase, please, please send me a friend request or a personal message. 

Please.

#32 Posted by Seedofpower (3949 posts) -

@iDarktread said:

If somebody buys Quake 4 before the 8th, and does not play Team Fortress 2 enough to care about the rocket launcher included with your purchase, please, please send me a friend request and chat with me.

I have a copy somewhere in my closet. I would shovel it out but I don't want to install 6 disks. Kinda lame seeing as how I already bought both of those ID packs on previous steam sales and missed Q4 =/.

#33 Edited by iDarktread (1189 posts) -
@Seedofpower: Quake 4 retail doesn't activate on Steam anyway, unfortunately. Thanks though!
#34 Posted by DirtyOldBum (41 posts) -

This will be the third time i've purchased fallout 3..... What have i become!

#35 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -
@iDarktread said:
@Seedofpower: Quake 4 retail doesn't activate on Steam anyway, unfortunately. Thanks though!
im most likely buying the complete pack, because im a tool

i also have zero interest in tf2 hats or weapons
#36 Posted by iDarktread (1189 posts) -
@Rhaknar: There's a good chance that I will love you, indefinitely.
#37 Edited by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -
 Note:  You already own the following items in "Quakecon Pack 2011". You  will not  receive extra copies of these items when you complete this purchase:
  • Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition
  • Fallout: New Vegas
  • Fallout New Vegas: Dead Money
  • Fallout New Vegas: Honest Hearts

wait... it doesnt mention Oblivion, but i have that. Will i get a extra copy of that?

edit: wait, its probably because its the deluxe version, i only got the regular goty one... thats cool i guess, a little unexpected extra
#38 Posted by ajamafalous (12154 posts) -

@Lights_Up_The_Shaft said:

...I own most of these games on other platforms but it's SOOOO CHEAP and that Quake Rocket Launcher for TF2 is fucking sick.

AHDSFHSDFGHDFKJHGFNMKDFBMDFBDSFNBDNBDF.

Damn right it's fucking sick.

THE ROCKETS SHOOT FROM THE BOTTOM OF THE SCREEN AND IT USES THE GODDAMN QUAKE 1 AUDIO

IF THIS DOESN'T SOUND LIKE IT'S WORTH $20 TO YOU THEN I DON'T KNOW WHAT DOES

#39 Posted by MeierTheRed (4941 posts) -
@Rhaknar said:
what kind of a pc gamer am i (which i am now) that i dont have fucking doom and quake in my collection >_< THIS IS HOW THEY GET YA!
A smart one? i played the Doom games, plus the Quakes when they came out. And i really don't need to play them again. To buy them just for the sake of having them and waste HD space seems stupid to me.
#40 Posted by GetEveryone (4458 posts) -
@iDarktread said:
If somebody buys Quake 4 before the 8th, and does not play Team Fortress 2 enough to care about the rocket launcher included with your purchase, please, please send me a friend request or a personal message. 

Please.

If somebody hasn't gifted you already, you can have mine.
#41 Posted by Yanngc33 (4461 posts) -

Gabe got you good on that one

#42 Posted by ThunderSlash (1953 posts) -

I'll probably get Morrowind by the end of this week. I had all sorts of fun with that back when I had it for the XBox. It's a shame there isn't an individual Quake pack, since I already have the Doom games.

Also, if any duder here has the TF2 item that comes with Quake 4 and does not want it, I would be happy to do a trade for it. I really don't like taking stuff from people without anything in return, so if anyone wants to trade I would hand over some of my vintage items. Just PM or add me on Steam (ID is Thunder-Slash) if you are up for it.

#43 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

i hear you cant trade the quake rocket launcher (or the skyrim and brink hats) until 1 week passes, is that a fact?

#44 Posted by NickLott (793 posts) -

I went to steam to preorder From Dust yesterday, I left with From Dust, Deus Ex and Skyrim preordered and the Quakecon pack. Mint.com will not be pleased.

One big disappointment I do have is Enemy Territory Quake Wars was not included in the pack. It was overshadowed because it came out pretty much at the same time the TF2 beta started but it was still a good multiplayer shooter. I would rather have that than Brink frankly.

#45 Posted by ThunderSlash (1953 posts) -
@Rhaknar said:
i hear you cant trade the quake rocket launcher (or the skyrim and brink hats) until 1 week passes, is that a fact?
I just took a look at my Fallout item and it seems like that thing is untradeable for now. I'm guessing its the same for the other Quakecon stuff. Oh well, disregard my post for now. 
#46 Posted by Badhands (398 posts) -

This happens to me every time steam has a sale, I go to buy one like $5 game and end up with $100 worth of games that I will probably never play for more than an hour.

#47 Posted by Jimbo (9993 posts) -

You coulda got Deus Ex for £10 less from ShopTo and then just put it on Steam. So yay for Steam prices.

#48 Edited by GetEveryone (4458 posts) -
@Jimbo said:

You coulda got Deus Ex for £10 less from ShopTo and then just put it on Steam. So yay for Steam prices.

19.99? Is it SteamWorks, anyway? I'd be surprised... Besides, I'm not too bothered. I got a lot of great games for really low prices (not just including the Quakcon bundle here), so I can forgive an extra tenner spent in the name of a pre-release download

That's not the worst of it, anyway. I just bought a shitload more.

Shank, Saira, Bastion, Chantelise, Humble Bundle 3 (and 1 and 2 thanks to my brother) are now all in my Steam collection, too.

Shank actually looks pretty great.
#49 Posted by NekuCTR (1663 posts) -

Waiting for someone to post the "meanwhile at Valve" picture.

#50 Posted by Skytylz (4039 posts) -

I don't own a steam copy of any of the games in the QuakeCon  pack so it'd be a hell of a deal for me.  I think I'm gonna make it though.  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.