Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Guys, I Need Some Help.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

The Steam client won't open for me. I'm using Windows 7 64-bit. What happens is that when I click the Steam executable the normal pop-ups open. It checks for updates and then connects to my account. After it looks like it connects to my account everything stops working and the client does not open. In task manager it says that nothing relating to Steam is running.

This happened after an issue with The Vanishing of Ethan Carter. Apparently, in that game there can be an error when trying to run it on a 64-bit system. Some people have fixed that problem by updating their system. Which I did. After, I needed to restart, which I also did, and since doing so this Steam error has started to happen. I tried to do a system restore five times at various times and for some inexplicable reason the process never completes following the restart. I tried this apparent .blob fix I read about on the Steam forums and it didn't work either. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Steam and the same problem continues to happen.

So does anyone know what's going on?

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Have you tried running it as an administrator? Is that even a thing with Windows 7? (I'm on Vista)

I had some random PC troubles recently and now Steam doesn't open unless I run it as an admin. Otherwise it gives me some "must have 200MB free on your hard drive" error.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht:

I tried that and I got a message that essentially told me that I'm not allowed to run Steam with any compatibility options selected.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

@jasonr86: Hm, I don't know what else to tell ya. Here are some other folks with similar problems I found on the Steam forums, but you may have already come across those.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

Reinstall Steam?

konig_kei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By konig_kei

If by stops working you mean the window goes white then just wait it out, I get that whenever I use steam chat. Also, does Steam not show up in processes after the login?

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shot in the dark, but maybe check DEP settings?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/change-data-execution-prevention-settings

There are a few games that I've seen this mess with, often without any overt clue to what is happening.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did you make sure to go into the processes tab in the task manager and stop the Steam.exe process from running? Occasionally I can't open steam either, and I have to dig into the processes to shut it down. If you've done that, then I would just reinstall it like someone suggested. I think it gives you the option to keep the game files there, so it shouldn't really take too long.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks guys. I'll try some of these after work and let you know how it goes.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok guys, I tried all the above and nothing worked. However, I did finally make the system restore executable work and restored my system back to when Steam was working. And, now, finally it works. Vanishing of Ethan Carter doesn't but I don't even care anymore. The system restore didn't work because I needed to disable my antivirus software while it ran.

Thanks for the suggestions though dudes.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

How long has it been since you formatted and reinstalled Windows? Sounds like it may be time, Windows installations that are a few years old can get pretty crusty.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JasonR86

@mb:

I've had this laptop for about 5 years and haven't reinstalled the OS. I would, but I don't think I have a disc to do it. It's been a while since I've installed an OS though. Do I even need a disk anymore?

Lord I sound old.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By mike

@jasonr86: It may have a recovery partition on the hard drive. Just Google the model of your laptop plus recovery and see what pops up, it should be fairly straightforward.

achoyq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe try and disable your antivirus? Same thing happened to my old PC and disabling it helped. Good luck!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.