How cheap is bandwidth for Steam?

#1 Posted by SmilingPig (1337 posts) -

During the steam summer sale, I paid 2$ for 3-5 gig games that I can delete and re-download over and over again, it made me wonder if steam will eventually lose money on bandwidth cost from all the re-download over time. Could they start charging for additional downloads?

#2 Posted by StarvingGamer (8281 posts) -

No don't be silly. Think about how much data Valve streams out to users. Even if you dedicated your PC nonstop to installing and reinstalling games every minute of every day for a year, it would barely be a drop in the ocean of Steam downloads.

#3 Posted by SmilingPig (1337 posts) -

With games getting bigger and bigger and smaller SSD hard drives getting more popular, I am still wandering if it will have an impact on steam.

#4 Posted by believer258 (11948 posts) -

Steam probably has a) many different data centers spread across the globe and b) the absolute top-tier internet that money can possible buy.

Yes, it costs them a lot of money to keep this up, but they make a whole lot more money than they spend. I can guarantee this because they're a successful business.

#5 Posted by kindgineer (2733 posts) -

I think there is this outright far-fetched idea that bandwidth really costs a lot of money to larger companies. It's almost as silly as thinking that if everyone on the planet recycled everyday, it would account for less than a percent of what companies can recycle - making it completely pointless.

TL;DR: Bandwidth is not expensive. Don't buy into the bullshit that your telecom companies and such feed you.

#6 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

Tubes, tubes everywhere.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.