How come I can't choose where my games are downloaded?

#1 Posted by fontainefellow (171 posts) -

So I signed up for Steam yesterday, and I wanted to download Team Fortress 2. When I tried to do so, a window popped up and said "yo you don't got enough space on your C disk son", so I went into the settings and I discovered that you can't change the destination for your downloaded games. Is this for real, or am I missing something? I've managed to make enough space on my C disk, but I would still rather it downloaded games to a different disk.

#2 Posted by Von (328 posts) -

There's a program (which I can't remember the name of) that lets you choose on which drives you want your games on. Do some Google-Fu on that. 

Personally I did THIS, and moved everything onto a 2TB drive. 

#3 Posted by Binman88 (3690 posts) -

I know this doesn't help your situation after the fact, but it's a lot easier to spare a half TB drive solely for games, and just point Steam at it from the outset.

#4 Posted by Mmmslash (2170 posts) -

Steam Games install to your Steam directory.

#5 Posted by MattyFTM (14432 posts) -

Yeah, Steam is pretty shitty at stuff like that. All your games have to be in the steam directory. You can't spread your games across multiple drives.

#6 Edited by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

That's why I install Steam in my Games directory on D:
People...

#7 Posted by Murdouken (709 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.