I hate downloading things on Steam when they aren't on sale.

• 53 results
#1 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Does anybody else have this irrational fear where you think that the moment you buy something on Steam you're going to open steam up the next day and see it's 50% off?

I just got my new CPU and I'm about to buy something I previously couldn't run and I'm scared to download it because I think it might go on sale at any time.

#2 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2780 posts) -

At least you're not the poor bloke who bought Portal 1 or Team Fortress 2 the day before it was offered for free.

#3 Posted by Adamsons (877 posts) -

My Steam purchases fall into two camps.

Day 1 / On sale.

So nope, sorry.

#4 Posted by Shuborno (935 posts) -

Yes, which is why I do not generally buy any non-new release for full price on Steam.

If I'm going to pay full price, I need to ask myself "Is this worth full price to me?" to know that I won't be mad when it's on sale later. For most games, the answer is "no".

#5 Edited by Cloudenvy (5890 posts) -

@Adamsons said:

Day 1 / On sale.

So nope, sorry.

Though it's not intentional, this is the case for me.

#6 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

@CL60: What game is it?

#7 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@NekuSakuraba said:

Witcher 2.

#8 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

@CL60 said:

@NekuSakuraba said:

Witcher 2.

Damn, that's a tough one. It would suck if you bought it and then it went on sale, but it would also suck if you have to wait around for ages to buy the game.

#9 Posted by awe_stuck (800 posts) -

@CL60 said:

Does anybody else have this irrational fear where you think that the moment you buy something on Steam you're going to open steam up the next day and see it's 50% off?

I just got my new CPU and I'm about to buy something I previously couldn't run and I'm scared to download it because I think it might go on sale at any time.

Duke Nukem is like 10 bucks. I hate that to. They should tell people a couple days, or a week before the sale happens. Thing is doing that they will have more happy customers, but make less money. Some stuff thats goes on sale is reported before hand.

#10 Posted by groin (822 posts) -

The Witcher 2 was on sale recently (2-3 weeks ago) and will likely be on sale during Christmas. Chris, you should not purchase that game right now.

#11 Posted by Mikemcn (6875 posts) -

It's always a risk, but buying a game now means you'll have more money for other games when the sale comes around.

#12 Posted by awe_stuck (800 posts) -

@groin said:

The Witcher 2 was on sale recently (2-3 weeks ago) and will likely be on sale during Christmas. Chris, you should not purchase that game right now.

I bought it full price cus its a good game.

Portal 2 I will grab when its 5 bucks. I'm really not impressed with it at all.

#13 Posted by Xtrememuffinman (958 posts) -

Never done it. 
ALWAYS WAIT FOR SALES, OR PREPARE FOR BUYER' S REMORSE.

#14 Posted by Animasta (14460 posts) -

I bought witcher 2 at full price and it was totally worth it

get it

#15 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

@CL60 said:

@NekuSakuraba said:

Witcher 2.

Well, it JUST had a price drop, and a recent sale (less than a month ago I think). A sale soon is unlikely.

However, it definitely will be on sale for Christmas. Depends if you want to wait a few months really

#16 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

Just buy it and dont look at the sales.

#17 Posted by Hameyadea (339 posts) -

If you want the game, buy it. If you can hold on until a better offer comes along, then wait. This week on Steam is THQ week, so maybe The Witcher 2 (maybe with the first one) will be on sale also? And that all Steam Christmas Sale should be in 2 months or so. I bought Portal 2 on the first week, and I don't regret it for a second.

#18 Posted by Giefcookie (575 posts) -

If I buy a game on release day I dont do it on Steam. Either wait for a sale or get a box copy for 15 euros less.

#19 Posted by Afroman269 (7388 posts) -

@Adamsons said:

Day 1 / On sale.

So nope, sorry.

#20 Posted by Hameyadea (339 posts) -

@Giefcookie said:

If I buy a game on release day I dont do it on Steam. Either wait for a sale or get a box copy for 15 euros less.

My Steam copy of Portal 2 was nearly $10 cheaper than a box retail .

#21 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@Pinworm45 said:

@CL60 said:

@NekuSakuraba said:

Witcher 2.

Well, it JUST had a price drop, and a recent sale (less than a month ago I think). A sale soon is unlikely.

However, it definitely will be on sale for Christmas. Depends if you want to wait a few months really

Yeah, I would've bought it during that sale but Paypal takes 10 days to get money from my bank account.

#22 Posted by awe_stuck (800 posts) -

@scarace360 said:

If your really cool buy it a year after. You will save A LOT OF MONEY.

#23 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

@awe_stuck said:

@scarace360 said:

Come on just buy it.

#24 Posted by Evikull (60 posts) -

Buying games from steam when not on sale is generally a gamble.

I remember there was a Penny Arcade Precipice of Darkness combo pack released, which I bought almost immediately.

The very next day it was on sale for much less (exact prices forgotten).

Damn shame, but stuff like that seems typical on steam. Obviously it's bad when something like the above happens, but I still enjoy the large amount of sales on steam, so I generally just wait until a game I want is on sale. And unless it's a recent release, it's probably best to do just that.

#25 Posted by Laksa (237 posts) -

if you look around the net, you can find the witcher 2 on sale for $18.

#26 Posted by awe_stuck (800 posts) -

@scarace360 said:

@awe_stuck said:

@scarace360 said:

Come on just buy it.

I bought it full price. :p

But seriously most games are like $10 to $20 a year later. I buy the games I love full price, games I like reduced.

#27 Posted by MikkaQ (10224 posts) -

@CL60 said:

@NekuSakuraba said:

Witcher 2.

Well it just got a price cut, so I mean you could wait for the holiday sale, which it'll inevitably be some amount off, or you could be playing that game now. Honestly, at that price point.. I'd just play the damn game. It's great.

For me, it's not a matter of being on sale or not, it's just a matter of asking myself "Is that game worth it at that price" if it's yes, then I'll buy. Got Moto GP 08 for like 10$, and it was pretty much worth that amount to me. I feel like I got my 10$ fun out of it. And it wasn't on sale or anything. I'm -this- close to buying Tropico 3 for 20$, but I know I won't get around to playing it until the holidays and it's frequently on sale, so I'm waiting on that one.

#28 Posted by Hunkulese (2527 posts) -

It was on sale last week so it probably wont be on sale again until Christmas. If you're planning on downloading it to play right away go for it. If you have other games to tide you over until it's on sale then you should wait.

#29 Posted by AjayRaz (12389 posts) -

i bought Plants vs Zombies when it was on sale for 7.99 and it went on sale for like 2.99 the next day. rage happened. i don't feel so robbed by TF2 going free since i got that for some ridiculous low price.

also, i happened to nab Terraria when it accidentally went on sale for 2.99 that one time. 

#30 Posted by Swoxx (2980 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

@Adamsons said:

Day 1 / On sale.

So nope, sorry.

Though it's not intentional, this is the case for me.

Same here. This is almost exclusively the split for me

#31 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Fuck it, I bought it. I've wanted to play it since it came out, but I couldn't.

#32 Posted by Giefcookie (575 posts) -

@Hameyadea: 33euros for Skyrim instead of 50. Success.

#33 Posted by Rhaknar (5940 posts) -

@Afroman269 said:

@Adamsons said:

Day 1 / On sale.

So nope, sorry.

basically this. either day 1 because i want to play it bad and it wont be on sale for the next 3-6months depending on the publisher, or any old game i always hold off until sales

#34 Posted by Ravenlight (8033 posts) -

@CL60 said:

@NekuSakuraba said:

Witcher 2.

If you can, wait for the Christmas sale. This is a fantastic game, but it's been long enough that it'll probably hit a single-digit price point if you wait.

#35 Posted by Akyho (1549 posts) -

Hell. The sales are just as paranoid layden.

The summer sale. I went "OH!! Knights of the old republic for £4!!" Next day dropped to £2.50

After that i got a little paranoid about all the other games.

#36 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5235 posts) -
@CL60 said:

Fuck it, I bought it. I've wanted to play it since it came out, but I couldn't.

Yeah baby! Crank those settings up and let your eyes bleed! No ubersampling though unless you have like 4 gpus. 

Also getting in on it after the 2.0 patch is great. The combat feels much better since they removed the two steps that Geralt takes before he swings his sword. Still challenging, but much more responsive. The arena is a pretty great distraction as well.

Seriously this game is worth it no matter the price.
#37 Posted by NickLott (790 posts) -

I don't have a problem at all buying games on Steam when they're not on sale but I will say that once I have seen a specific game on sale, it does create a stigma in my head that I'm reluctant to buy that game unless it's the sale price or lower.

#38 Posted by Metal_Mills (2948 posts) -

I hate when they ARE on sale. I start download and I realise "Why the hell do I want this?"

#39 Posted by phrosnite (3517 posts) -

Yes. I have the feeling the game on my wish list on Steam will go on sale any day now.

#40 Posted by Meltac (1901 posts) -

It also just feels wrong to buy it at full price.

#41 Posted by C0V3RT (1188 posts) -

I purchased Amnesia the week before it dropped in price during last years holiday sale. I felt like an idiot.

#42 Posted by BisonHero (5668 posts) -

@CL60 said:

@NekuSakuraba said:

Witcher 2.

If you can wait a month or two, it'll definitely be on sale during the Christmas/Holiday sale. Hell, it may even be on sale at the end of November, because I know last year Steam had some sort of "Treasure Hunt" sale thing where a bunch of popular games got discounted to compete with all that Black Friday nonsense in the US.

#43 Posted by Aronman789 (2674 posts) -

I bought Civ 5 for $50 a week before it went on sale for $5.

#44 Posted by JamesKond (232 posts) -

@Adamsons said:

Day 1 / On sale.

So nope, sorry.

This really. Pre-ordered Orange Box and Portal 2.

Got L4D/L4D2 later on sale, same with other A+ titles like Civ5, Witcher 2, Boderlands.

#45 Posted by Commisar123 (1786 posts) -

yeah I do, but generally as long as I buy away from the events or new games I'm usually okay

#46 Posted by AlexW00d (6061 posts) -

@NekuSakuraba said:

@CL60 said:

@NekuSakuraba said:

Witcher 2.

Damn, that's a tough one. It would suck if you bought it and then it went on sale, but it would also suck if you have to wait around for ages to buy the game.

It was on sale like a week ago, after the press conference.

#47 Posted by DonutFever (3515 posts) -

The second time I bought TF2, the VERY next day it was 90% off.

#48 Posted by MildMolasses (3194 posts) -

It's a risky proposition for sure, but even if it does go on sale, you'll probably get other things dirt cheap. I paid full price for Witcher 2, Civ V, and a few others, but the amount of games I've got for next to nothing more than balances it out

#49 Posted by DjCmeP (1145 posts) -

I bought Super Meat Boy a day before it went on sale.

#50 Posted by awe_stuck (800 posts) -

@Aronman789 said:

I bought Civ 5 for $50 a week before it went on sale for $5.

LOL Civ 5 isnt even that great. Worth 10 or 20 but not 50. OUCH

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.