Impending Steam Sales

#1 Posted by Capt_Ventris (592 posts) -

So it is that time of year that we all love and fear. Steam sale time.  
What games are you hoping will be cheap? 
For me I would like to pick up Darksiders (that game has sale written all over it) and Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit.

#2 Edited by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

I have a question... Last year I missed the sale so... Do they put ALL/MOST game on sale or 10 games on sale with different 10 games each day?
Edit: Oh, I love would to buy Darksiders for 10 euro :)

#3 Posted by BigLemon (1022 posts) -

I am so fearful of this time. Good thing I don't get paid until the 23rd, so I won't be buying much the first two days. 

#4 Posted by FlamingHobo (4482 posts) -

Another sale? Wow, I love Steam.

#5 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -
@FlamingHobo said:
" Another sale? Wow, I love Steam. "
The sale. My wallet is ready.
#6 Posted by FlamingHobo (4482 posts) -
@Hitchenson said:
" @FlamingHobo said:
" Another sale? Wow, I love Steam. "
The sale. My wallet is ready. "
I fear that I, and my parents, don't actually have any money at all! Hopefully I'll be able to pick up something cheap though.
#7 Edited by Toms115 (2316 posts) -

really not looking forward to it. i spent so much last year.

#8 Posted by kalmis (1558 posts) -

This will my first Steam Christmas sale. Seeing how much I used on the Black Friday sales I am kind of scared of what's coming.

#9 Posted by Tordah (2476 posts) -

Bring it on!

#10 Posted by JeanLuc (3577 posts) -

Oh God, I just finished buying gifts. Don't make me get anything more Steam! DAMN YOU!!

#11 Posted by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -
#12 Posted by Capt_Ventris (592 posts) -
@phrosnite:
@phrosnite said:
" I have a question... Last year I missed the sale so... Do they put ALL/MOST game on sale or 10 games on sale with different 10 games each day? Edit: Oh, I love would to buy Darksiders for 10 euro :) "
They  tend to put 10 different games on sale each day with the last day of the sale being a 'best of'. 
The Christmas sale prices are usually a bit crazier then Black friday sales.  Last year I picked up GTA IV for $7.99. 
I just had my download limit upped to 200gb so this year shall be a big one!
#13 Posted by Johnny5 (1354 posts) -

Yeah its a combination, they have almost EVERY game on sale PLUS a handful of super sales limited to a day. ITS MADNESS

#14 Posted by Zero_ (1973 posts) -

Gimme Super Meat Boy and Monday Night Combat :D

#15 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -
@Capt_Ventris said:
" @phrosnite:
@phrosnite said:
" I have a question... Last year I missed the sale so... Do they put ALL/MOST game on sale or 10 games on sale with different 10 games each day? Edit: Oh, I love would to buy Darksiders for 10 euro :) "
They  tend to put 10 different games on sale each day with the last day of the sale being a 'best of'.  "
So, would you recommend just waiting until the last day? 
#16 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

dead rising 2, blops, fallout new vegas, dragon age awaking.

#17 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

Hold onto your hats ladies and gentleman.  

Resist the urge to buy that which is not already on your wishlist! Resist!

#18 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7614 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:
" @Capt_Ventris said:
" @phrosnite:
@phrosnite said:
They  tend to put 10 different games on sale each day with the last day of the sale being a 'best of'.  "
So, would you recommend just waiting until the last day?  "

Well, last year pretty much everything on the store was discounted by a bit.. but then each day they had 10 games that were reduced to a ridiculous amount.  

For example, I bought Torchlight for £7 only for it to fall down to £3 on one of the daily sales a few days later.  So it's better to wait until the games you're waiting for go onto one of the daily sales and if they don't appear by the final day, then buy them  :)
#19 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

The oddboxx is released today too! I am officially hyped. I have $10 on me right now though... Gonna go scavenge the house for more.

#20 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -
@WinterSnowblind said:
" @JJWeatherman said:
" @Capt_Ventris said:
" @phrosnite:
@phrosnite said:
So, would you recommend just waiting until the last day?  "
Well, last year pretty much everything on the store was discounted by a bit.. but then each day they had 10 games that were reduced to a ridiculous amount.  For example, I bought Torchlight for £7 only for it to fall down to £3 on one of the daily sales a few days later.  So it's better to wait until the games you're waiting for go onto one of the daily sales and if they don't appear by the final day, then buy them  :) "
Thanks for the advice. I plan to pick up a couple. Still undecided on exactly what though.
#21 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4357 posts) -

Get out your helmets ladies! The barrage is about to begin!

#22 Posted by Jeffsekai (7027 posts) -

This is for you new people, everyone fights no one quits. 

wait...what

#23 Posted by Nictel (2399 posts) -

I still have like 20 unplayed games from last year! 

#24 Posted by Capt_Ventris (592 posts) -
@JJWeatherman:  
Last day tends to be the most popular games that were on sale. 
I would check everyday because you never know. Then again thats how they get you. 
"Yeah sure I would be losing money if I didn't buy Dawn of Discovery for $10......  "
#25 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

Oh yeah and in case this is anyone's first rodeo I'm just going to give a tip: 

Focus on the daily deals. Do not buy anything other than the daily deals except on the last day (where you know there won't be any further daily deals). Items that are discounted throughout the event (e.g. 20% off) can still be further discounted in a daily deal (e.g. 75% off).  

AND (this applies to all Steam sales) only buy games that you know for sure you will play and enjoy extensively, and not just turn on once and do the tutorial. If I didn't have so many "trash" games from random Steam sales I could've probably bought my remaining dozens of wishlist games twice over already. 

#26 Posted by A_Dog (744 posts) -

I've only just got a gaming PC so I mainly want The Orange Box and Civ 5 to be on sale.

#27 Posted by Capt_Ventris (592 posts) -
@Geno said:
" Oh yeah and in case this is anyone's first rodeo I'm just going to give a tip:  Focus on the daily deals. Do not buy anything other than the daily deals except on the last day (where you know there won't be any further daily deals). Items that are discounted throughout the event (e.g. 20% off) can still be further discounted in a daily deal (e.g. 75% off).   AND (this applies to all Steam sales) only buy games that you know for sure you will play and enjoy extensively, and not just turn on once and do the tutorial. If I didn't have so many "trash" games from random Steam sales I could've probably bought my remaining dozens of wishlist games twice over already.  "
Solid advice.  
Also remember your bandwidth.  
That may only apply to certain countries (Australia for sure) but there is no point using your entire quota on day 1 of your allocation. 
Or not.  Who needs the net when you have bought too many strange as hell indie games.
#28 Edited by countinhallways (632 posts) -
@Geno said:

"Focus on the daily deals. Do not buy anything other than the daily deals except on the last day (where you know there won't be any further daily deals). Items that are discounted throughout the event (e.g. 20% off) can still be further discounted in a daily deal (e.g. 75% off).   AND (this applies to all Steam sales) only buy games that you know for sure you will play and enjoy extensively, and not just turn on once and do the tutorial. If I didn't have so many "trash" games from random Steam sales I could've probably bought my remaining dozens of wishlist games twice over already.  "

This man speaks tremendous amounts of truth. Listen to him.
#29 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -
@Geno said:
"If I didn't have so many "trash" games from random Steam sales I could've probably bought my remaining dozens of wishlist games twice over already.  "
A million times over.
#30 Posted by Vitor (2815 posts) -
@Jack268 said:
" The oddboxx is released today too! I am officially hyped. I have $10 on me right now though... Gonna go scavenge the house for more. "
Woah woah woah - seriously? That's today? Ugh, want so much. Have been dying to replay Stranger ever since I sold off my original Xbox and copy of the game. 
#31 Posted by Jimbo (9796 posts) -
@Capt_Ventris said:
"...and Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit. "
Hot Pursuit is £13 on Zavvi atm if you happen to be in the UK.
#32 Posted by RecSpec (3798 posts) -

The Thankgiving and Treasure hunt sales scared the hell out of me. 

I'm going to hide in my bunker until it is all over.

#33 Posted by Vitor (2815 posts) -
@Jimbo said:
" @Capt_Ventris said:
"...and Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit. "
Hot Pursuit is £13 on Zavvi atm if you happen to be in the UK. "  
Would totally be on that if I weren't studying abroad right now... Then again, that's likely way cheaper than any upcoming Steam sale will discount it to. But then again, I hate using discs for PC games...
#34 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -
@Vitor said:
" @Jack268 said:
" The oddboxx is released today too! I am officially hyped. I have $10 on me right now though... Gonna go scavenge the house for more. "
Woah woah woah - seriously? That's today? Ugh, want so much. Have been dying to replay Stranger ever since I sold off my original Xbox and copy of the game.  "
Uh huh, and you can get a special exclusive never released before soundtrack album today too! With cover art and all! And it's FREE! http://db.tt/fSYlUI2 

I may sound like a viral marketer for the Oddboxx, but brother, I am excited
#35 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4357 posts) -
@Zero_ said:
" Gimme Super Meat Boy and Monday Night Combat :D "
MNC isn't even out yet...and it's already 10% off...
#36 Posted by Capt_Ventris (592 posts) -
@Jimbo:  
Thanks for the tip but on the other side of the world mate.  
Retailers here have yet to discount NFS: Hot Pursuit, Come on STEAM.......... 
#37 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -
@Jack268 said:
" @Vitor said:
" @Jack268 said:
Woah woah woah - seriously? That's today? Ugh, want so much. Have been dying to replay Stranger ever since I sold off my original Xbox and copy of the game.  "
Uh huh, and you can get a special exclusive never released before soundtrack album today too! With cover art and all! And it's FREE! http://db.tt/fSYlUI2 

I may sound like a viral marketer for the Oddboxx, but brother, I am excited "
Hey, thanks a lot for that tip! I'll have to give it a listen now.
#38 Posted by Vitor (2815 posts) -
@Jack268 said:
" @Vitor said:
" @Jack268 said:

I may sound like a viral marketer for the Oddboxx, but brother, I am excited "
Why is this written nowhere on Steam's new release page, nor on any website I can find - been trying to track down a release date for aaaaaages. Shame I'll be in Korea for 10 days starting Wednesday otherwise I'd be going on an OddWorld bender. 

Brother, I am excite
#39 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -
@Vitor: Yeah, I thought they'd have a preorder deal or something as well, but now you know at least :P 

@JJWeatherman: You're welcome ^^
#40 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7614 posts) -
@Capt_Ventris said:
" @JJWeatherman:  Last day tends to be the most popular games that were on sale. I would check everyday because you never know. Then again thats how they get you. "Yeah sure I would be losing money if I didn't buy Dawn of Discovery for $10......  " "

Anno 1404 (or Dawn of Discovery) is definitely worth the money though.  I've been meaning to get the Venice expansion, so hopefully it does go up on sale.  Would really love to do some multiplayer.
#41 Posted by Vitor (2815 posts) -
@Jack268: Damn you - now you have me refreshing Steam every 5 minutes... It's 23:22 here and I need to study for a short test tomorrow. Oh well, Oddworld inhabitants compels me
#42 Posted by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -

I pray that I'm wrong, but ever since the treasure hunt thing started I have had this dirty feeling that they did that this year instead of the normal big sale we have all been waiting for. They kept hinting to be logged on to day, so we will see what the big reveal is.

#43 Edited by Capt_Ventris (592 posts) -
@WinterSnowblind:  
I forgot about the expansions...bugger. Well add that to the list!
#44 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -
@Vitor:  

The release of Oddboxx will also coincide with the first day of the Annual Steam Holiday Sale, meaning that during the first 24 hours of release, the game will be sold with 50% of its marked price discounted.

As good as a preorder deal. It'll likely go up 19 GMT like the sales usually do. Thats in 3 hours 30 minutes. Get some sleep bro :p
#45 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

All I want is Fallout 3 and Darksiders for real cheap.

#46 Posted by Capt_Ventris (592 posts) -
@Jack268:  
Oddboxx has made my day. 
Cheers for the heads up mate! 
#47 Posted by Vitor (2815 posts) -
@Jack268: *Cries a little on the inside* That's £10, right? Damn son, I am going to be all up on that. 

Also, ugh Steam sales... Not sure if I'm devastated that I'll be out of the country and unable to participate regularly or if that's a blessing in disguise. Still, have most of the games I want in my library already due to last years/thanksgiving.
#48 Posted by Torrim (327 posts) -

The Dragon Age Origins GOTY ultimate edition might get a sale depending on the price.  I already own a boxed copy of the original sans DLC or expansion, but at a  good price it might be cheaper to re-buy the whole thing on steam. 

I'd also like to see Singularity.  It's dropped in price everyone except Steam, currently full price.  I would like to play the game, but I'm also not going to spend $50 to do so when I could get it cheaper many other places. 

Mafia II and Transformers are also games that I'd like to see go on some ridiculous sale.

#49 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -
@Vitor: Yep, full price is £20 so its 10 for the first 24 hours. 

@Capt_Ventris: You're welcome :) 

This sale is gonna skin me :S
#50 Posted by AlisterCat (5520 posts) -

I REALLY wish I had more money right now. There's going to be so many great games to pick up. I was hoping to be able to gift some to the GB community but no way I can afford that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.