Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Is the Steam Auction a Bad Omen?

• 103 results
    BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@chemystery said:

How funny would it be after this auction stuff is done, they pull a TF2 and make any surviving items "Vintage".

I mean, they're not really cosmetic items the same way as TF2, because emoticons/backgrounds are literally worthless, which is why Valve had to make gems in the first place so there is a way to destroy emoticons/backgrounds because they're so stupid and useless. I mean, sure, the scarcity of "vintage" items would increase their price somewhat, but people don't actually like emoticons/backgrounds.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Well gem sacks are now over a buck at the marketplace. Sounds like a pretty good time to make some extra credits out of your unwanted emoticons.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

If it sticks around I can see this helping the market place where items are moving instead of sitting there at $.03. People will buy those items increasing the average as the cheaper ones are bought up. I think it is an interesting system, Steam does some crazy shit.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I'm not sure if you can keep making gems after this auction event. The FAQ states that you may keep your gems, but nowhere does it say that you can keep making them. Either way, I don't believe that high gem yielding items will keep their increased value for long due to the event ending soon unless there is value in making booster packs. Or until Valve instates another event that utilizes these gems.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.