It's Official. Steam for Mac on May 12th

#1 Posted by MisterMouse (3540 posts) -

It was released today that Steam would finally arrive on the Mac after beta testing on May 12th. It will be exciting to see if other developers follow suit as valve treats Mac as a Tier-1 platform. What do you think?

#2 Posted by PerryVandell (2103 posts) -

Interesting... I'm on a mac right now, but I'm getting a new PC soon so it doesn't matter too much to me.

#3 Posted by Redsand26 (125 posts) -

Mac purchases are on the rise, although nowhere near PC.  Smart move.

#4 Posted by ThatFrood (3373 posts) -

Wait wait wait wait wait...
Valve said they would have something out on a certain date?

Just add 1-2 days to that release date, then maybe it'll be accurate.

#5 Posted by Brunchies (2484 posts) -

Increasing the audience size is always a smart thing to do.

#6 Posted by papuccino1 (311 posts) -

i wasn't aware that there was enough games that run on Mac to warrant a port of Steam. Or are they releasing it on Mac just to have Mac clients chat with their friends online?

#7 Posted by SPACETURTLE (1622 posts) -

Hmmm... I'm not a Mac user, nor do I have any immidiate plans to buy Mac either, but I think its good Steam are now offering Mac users their services. Altough, does Mac generally pack enough power to run many of the games that are being released now? Also, wont the game libary be kinda small? How many games are Mac supportive, I mean

#8 Posted by Brians (1458 posts) -

As a PC steam user I would like to say welcome to the family. Kiss your wallets goodbye. oh steam sales are good and bad.

#9 Posted by xyzygy (9899 posts) -

This is good for the 5% of Computer gamers who use a Mac instead of a PC.

#10 Posted by TurboMan (7411 posts) -

May 12th 

by that, Valve means 

October 22nd

#11 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -
@xyzygy said:
" This is good for the 5% of Computer gamers who use a Mac instead of a PC. "
Yeah, I know! I'm excited though at most il get small games like braid or audiosurf. When i get my macbook this summer, i'l take a closer look to see what i can actually play.
#12 Posted by captain_clayman (3319 posts) -
@papuccino1 said:
" i wasn't aware that there was enough games that run on Mac to warrant a port of Steam. Or are they releasing it on Mac just to have Mac clients chat with their friends online? "
the source games are on mac and that's all i really care about honestly.  
i just wanna play TF2 but i dont wanna reinstall windows. 

i can live with TF2, l4d and source mods until i finish building my gaming rig.
#13 Posted by Clinkz (1118 posts) -

That's fine I guess...I'll still never buy a Mac.

#14 Posted by joey (980 posts) -
@papuccino1 said:
" i wasn't aware that there was enough games that run on Mac to warrant a port of Steam. Or are they releasing it on Mac just to have Mac clients chat with their friends online? "
Valve is porting most of their games to Mac.
#15 Posted by AjayRaz (12418 posts) -
@papuccino1 said:
they're porting all source games to Mac and i think their entire steam library (?!) is being ported to Mac.  

don't quote me on that though. that's all i remember. 
#16 Posted by MisterMouse (3540 posts) -

Yeah it said there was going to be over one hundred games plus the source code games at launch which is cool, I am looking forward to this

#17 Posted by Romination (2776 posts) -

FINALLY.
Damn it...I've been waiting waay too long since they announced it.

#18 Posted by jmrwacko (2443 posts) -
@pyromaster222 said:
" It was released today that Steam would finally arrive on the Mac after beta testing on May 12th. It will be exciting to see if other developers follow suit as valve treats Mac as a Tier-1 platform. What do you think? "
OSX is a very capable platform for light gaming, like what we've seen recently with indie games like Braid and Geometry Wars. I think it's a good move.
#19 Posted by MisterMouse (3540 posts) -
@jmrwacko: I could not agree, and hopefully it can handle some slightly heavier games with out too much strain, alas I guess it depends what computer you are planning on running the games.
#20 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

Didn't they say this would come in April? Valve time strikes again. 

#21 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

Pc gamers are indifferent to mac users. However don't slow us down online when you play on our team in Left4dead 2 and other teamwork games with your low powered over priced rig. I'm only joking of course, I always wanted to say that. Congrats on getting compatibility without using bootcamp.

#22 Posted by MattyFTM (14347 posts) -

So valve say May the 12th. Anyone want to bet on when it will actually come out? My money's on the 15th of May.

#23 Posted by Jazz (2178 posts) -

I'd only be interested if they ported non source games. I can't stand Valve games as a whole, but Steam is a great platform for game distribution..so its win win situation.

#24 Edited by LordAndrew (14424 posts) -
@Jazz: That's up to the third-party publishers and developers. Valve can't port their games or force them to port them. Publishers that have already released Mac versions of their games will probably make them available though.
#25 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

Will that automatically mean macs can play any game on steam or just limited amount of games? I have no idea, however I don't like sharing the wealth with them.

#26 Posted by LordAndrew (14424 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47: Valve will port their games to the Mac, allow people to download the Mac version if the already bought the PC version, and allow cross-platform play. Other publishers that already have Mac versions of their games will probably make them available, but there's no guarantee.
#27 Posted by MisterMouse (3540 posts) -

I cant wait to see what games are present on Steam when it launches.

#28 Posted by ajamafalous (11859 posts) -

Steam confirmed for Mac, fall 2010.

#29 Posted by Jayross (2365 posts) -
@ajamafalous said:
" Steam confirmed for Mac, fall 2010. "
noo, don't say that! I will put $5 on a May 12th release date. Can't wait to play the half-life series and TF2.
#30 Posted by Cube (4366 posts) -

So fucking stoked to get my Mac versions. 

#31 Posted by Virago (2486 posts) -

Wooo! i'll probably never use it, but i'm glad i at least have the option to use steam now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.