Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Mento's May Madness Melange: Intro

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

Edited By Mento  Moderator

Welcome everyone once again to another month-long feature covering the various Steam games I've allowed to accrue in my library like so much plaque build-up wonderful gaming happiness I've yet to discover. I'm mixing things up a little this year, though, taking a cue from last year's Desura December format: Instead of the "one game, one blog" per day approach, I'm going to play three thematically similar games across three days and write a larger summation blog that weighs each of the three games against one another, as well as discussing their own individual positives and negatives. I figure a Battle Royale type showdown might help the poor, desperate souls who come to these things for purchasing advice to make a decision, and also give me a better idea about which of them I might want to pursue further once this feature has concluded.

As stated, each trilogy of games will be linked -- occasionally tenuously -- by a recurring theme or genre. I'll add each new May Madness Melange blog to the list below throughout the month, to spare you all from searching them out. Might as well make it easy on ya, right?

May 1st

The Master (of Magic) Blasters

A trio of games that purport to be influenced by Master of Magic. How do they compare to the original? Or each other?

Part 1A, Part 1B, Part 1C.

Warlock: Master of the Arcane

Disciples II: Rise of the Elves

Eador: Masters of the Broken World

May 4th

Spookin' With Smento

Hec-aitomix may have been stopped by a combination of uncanny coat physics and terrible pathfinding, but the war on terror never ends. Here's three horror games for the sinisterest of chopping blocks.

Anna

Serena

Master Reboot

May 7th

Hide and Sequels

Eager for some respite, I look at three games that are direct sequels to highly-acclaimed Indie titles. Do I catch a break for once?

Bit.Trip Runner 2

Toki Tori 2+

Zeno Clash II

May 10th

A Misbegotten Youth Revisited

Time to get sentimental with a batch of games based upon classics from my salad days. Do these games hold up? Are the homages accurate? And just how old am I making myself sound right now?

Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams

Legend of Grimrock

Talisman Prologue

May 13th

Pointin' Clique

I have too many adventure games in my Steam backlog. This is an excuse to play three of them.

The Book of Unwritten Tales

Primordia

The Whispered World

May 16th

Platformurder

As is the case with the point and clicks, I simply have too many platformers to get through. Here are three of the harder ones I've been putting off.

Ethan: Meteor Hunter

La-Mulana

Mark of the Ninja

May 19th

JRPG Jibes

A few games that remember old 16-bit JRPGs as fondly as I do. Well, and make fun of them to some extent as well. But in a loving way.

Hero Siege

One Way Heroics

Two Brothers

May 22nd

Quick Look Champions

I love Giant Bomb. It's been my internet home for many years, and with good reason. Here's three games I chose to play after being inspired by three particularly fun Quick Looks.

Angelica Weaver: Catch Me When You Can

Edna and Harvey: Harvey's New Eyes

McPixel

May 25th

Obligatory Puzzle Platformers

Fuck Indie games.

Gateways

Nihilumbra

Q.U.B.E.

May 28th

Miscellaneous Marvels

A quintet of random, smallish games to see off May Madness Melange. Bye everyone.

Darkout

Dear Esther

Eleusis

Little Inferno

Samorost 2

Thanks for all your views and comments this year! Don't forget, you can check out 2012's original May Madness and 2013's May Madness More for even more Steam musings.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.