Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Need some help with Steam

PartWerewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By PartWerewolf

So I just bought one of my favorite games, Vampire: The Masquerade-Bloodlines off of Steam. But it won't run. Everytime I click on the game to start is up I get the same error message.

Engine Error:
    Available memory las than 15MB!!!-

Now the funny thing is I have a fairly new Toshiba laptop
    Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit
    AMD Turion(tm) X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-70
    4.00 GB RAM
    ATI Radeon 3100 Graphics

I can play Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike, and Portal all on high settings with no problems. I've been searching some VTMB forums and it seems that computers with 64bit Vista and over 4 gigs of memory have trouble playing this game. Any ideas on what I can do play it?

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Vaxadrin

Alot of older games have trouble running in 64 bit systems or using multi-core processors.  I know I have to dick around in the task manager every time I want to play Deus Ex.

If you can manage to get it into a main menu of sorts, you can CTRL ALT DEL and assign the game to only run on one of the processor cores.  Outside that, it's beyond my knowledge.

Or, try creating a desktop shortcut for the game and see if there's a parameter you can put in the shortcut to run it in Win XP emulation.  Maybe try running that emulation on the Steam executable itself.

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Demilich

Steam forums would be more helpful.

PartWerewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By PartWerewolf

I have a copy of Windows XP and I'm debating whether or not to switch from Vista to XP. I'm not too great with computers though and I'm afraid all the drivers and stuff won't work.

SimpleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SimpleBear

If your copy of Windows XP is 64-bit, you can go for it if you prefer XP over Vista. If it's 32-bit, then you won't be able to take advantage of the 4GB memory you have equipped with your notebook. In regards to the game support, as another person said, you're better off contacting Steam for support on this.

PartWerewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By PartWerewolf
    VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By VACkillers

when in windows explorer..... right click the main folder for vampire the masscarade and click on search.... type in the engine.dll and it'll search the whole game directory for that file... so you'll know where it is

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.