Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Noob Question

JokerClown88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By JokerClown88

Hello everyone.  I am very very very new to using Steam and I have a question.  Every game that I have downloaded before from other sources (ie. Gamestp) has sent me an email with an attached CD Key for installation purposes.  I have downloaded a couple of games, but the email from Steam does not contain a CD Key.  I have read the entire Wiki about Steam and I have not seen what the policy is for verifying that a game is yours.  Basically my question is... 

Where are CD Keys stored, and are they needed for full gameplay features like online play? 

And if the answer is no, then why?
    FartyMcNarly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By FartyMcNarly

If you buy a game on steam it is obviously legit so you don't need to put a cd key in. You need to be logged into your account to play it however.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

#3  Edited By LordAndrew

You don't need a CD key. The games are attached to your Steam account. Log into Steam with your username and password, and you can access your games.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Pazy

Steam essentially puts the CD-Key in for you so just log in with your username/password. Although with at least one game ive seen it have a seperate CD-Key for legacy purposes which you need for multiplayer but that was a really old game that existed before Steam and in fact I didnt need to put the CD-Key in since it did it automatically.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#5  Edited By Forcen

Most games doesn't use CD-keys a key, but some games like Unreal Tournament 3 require that you enter a key that comes with the game.
    Which games are you wondering about?

JokerClown88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By JokerClown88

@Forcen:
    Its just general curiosity for the most part. 

And to everyone else, thanks for the info.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.