Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Of Today's Steam Sale Front Page Games (11/29) Which Do You Recommend Most?

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

Poll Of Today's Steam Sale Front Page Games (11/29) Which Do You Recommend Most? (9 votes)

7 Days To Die ($12.49) 11%
    Terraria ($1.99) 11%
    Thief ($7.49) 0%
    The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth ($10.04) 33%
    Fallout: New Vegas ($2.49) 67%
    Call of Duty: Ghosts ($14.99) 22%
    South Park: The Stick of Truth ($13.59) 56%
    The Walking Dead: Season 2 ($8.49) 11%
    Borderlands: The PreSequel ($39.59) 11%
    Dragon Age: Origins ($4.99) 33%
    Outlast ($4.99) 0%
    Octodad: Dadliest Catch ($3.74) 22%
    Fable: Anniversary ($17.49) 0%
    NBA 2K15 ($40.19) 0%
    Lego Marvel Super Heroes ($4.99) 0%
    Contagion ($4.99) 0%
    Anno 2070 ($7.49) 0%
    The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition ($2.99) 67%
    Prison Architect ($5.99) 33%
    Rogue Legacy ($2.99) 44%

Hey, duders.

Steam sale. Some of us have money. Some of us don't and need to pick and choose.

If someone were to buy one of these games at the price on today's home page, what would you say they should buy?

Also, let me know if the home pages differ from person to person. I don't think they do, but the new Steam store is weird.

• 
    spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Get South Park

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mike

I'd say out of all of those games, Fallout: New Vegas and The Witcher 2 present the greatest value. Fallout has a pretty healthy mod community even today, and I don't remember it ever being historically lower than $2.49. Same with Witcher 2, $2.99 may be an all time low, except when it was free on GOG last week. Both games will take you around 25-30 hours just for the main story the first time through.

A close runner-up is Dragon Age Origins for $5 which is a steal, although it was completely free on Origin last month. Origins is even longer at 40+ hours or so for the main storyline.

It really depends on what kind of games you are into, I guess. But in my opinion, if you're on a budget then those three games are the ones to look at.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Corevi
    @mb said:

I'd say out of all of those games, Fallout: New Vegas and The Witcher 2 present the greatest value. Fallout has a pretty healthy mod community even today, and I don't remember it ever being historically lower than $2.49. Same with Witcher 2, $2.99 may be an all time low, except when it was free on GOG last week.

A close runner-up is Dragon Age Origins for $5 which is a steal, although it was completely free on Origin last month.

It really depends on what kind of games you are into, I guess.

Exactly what I was going to say. All 3 of those are fantastic RPGs that are well worth full price and are an insane value at these prices.

As Jeff Gerstmann famously said "You'd be BELOW STUPID" not to buy all of them.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mike

@spraynardtatum said:

Get South Park

South Park is a great game, but probably only good for a single playthrough at around 10-12 hours. Instead of that one game at $13.79, he could have Fallout, Dragon Age: Origins, Witcher 2, and Rogue Legacy or Octodad.

I figured since he is on a budget and has this much of a backlog already, he can probably wait for South Park to go on even deeper discount sometime next year.

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have been meaning to play Dragon Age: Origins for a while now. Might pick that up.

Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Little_Socrates

@mb: I actually have all the games you listed, but I didn't yesterday and figured I'd start doing these threads through the rest of the sale.

EDIT: Well, actually, I can't run Dragon Age for some reason. BUT I have all the others you named. Except South Park.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb: I actually have all the games you listed, but I didn't yesterday and figured I'd start doing these threads through the rest of the sale.

EDIT: Well, actually, I can't run Dragon Age for some reason. BUT I have all the others you named. Except South Park.

If that is the case, I wouldn't even bother with polls right now. They are broken.

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

Also, let me know if the home pages differ from person to person. I don't think they do, but the new Steam store is weird.

The store page always has exactly the same games listed for everyone, with the same discounts, but the order of the games on the page is randomized every time you refresh the page in order to give all promoted games equal time in each promotional slot.

Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Little_Socrates

@mb: I noticed that later, haha. I'll run the rest as proper threads as time goes on.

@savage: Thanks for the heads up! I'll probably just put them in the order that comes up on my lil page.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb: South Park is still the game I'd recommend.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

CoD, definitely.

Entreri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'd also throw my vote in for the Witcher 2, that is a fantastic game and at 3 bucks its a hell of a steal, in fact you'd be losing money not buying it.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By TheHT

Witcher 2 is dirt cheap. Buy Dragon Age Origins too if you don't have it yet.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I liked Thief, though I might be the only person who did. If not that, then maybe Borderlands? I like it more than BL2.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By Capum15

I'd go Fallout New Vegas. Just recently finally completed the Lonesome Road and decided, in my insanity, to try to complete mostly everything. Including the stuff mods have added. A World Of Pain added like a hundred new spots.

I would also say to go for Dragon Age Origins. Currently playing through that as well. Rolling with three mages is great.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

This week I've paid less for the first two witcher games than I did for the first novel. If the games are half as good as the short stories then I'll be happy.

overnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By overnow

Personally I'd say Fallout: New Vegas. One of my favourite games of recent memory. For $2.50 it's a complete steal.

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By super2j

I voted for fall out because that thing pulled me harder into its world than skyrim ever did (i played skyrim first). That is some quality videogaming right there! Witcher 2 is pretty good too.

Also, instead of the stuff on the main page, keep your eye on shadow run daggerfall directors cut. I hear that game has one of the most compelling stories and its already 50% off. The only reason I have not bought it yet is because I am hoping (greedily/responsibly) to see if it will be discounted further on the main page.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

DA:O

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.