Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Prima and Steam team up for.... In-Game Strategy guides?

Yit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Yit
    News story here.

I'm all for new partnerships with Steam, it only makes them stronger (and more monopolistic, but enh), but this one is silly.

Why not just pull up the overlay's web browser, head out to gamefaqs (Gamespot partner, but it still works), or even GB guides, and have that open?

What do you think? $20 bucks for essentially a PDF of a guide? Are professional strategy guides even relevant even more?
    JB16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By JB16

We have the internet, which is choc full of FAQs and forums where I can scream "I can't get past this puzzle, HELP!!" so no professional guides died when dial-up dissapeared.

Riotisonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Riotisonfire

yeah alright. not a terrible idea. but if that means that the new products is gonna have half the content because of the game AND its strategy guide. I might be a little annoyed but i think they are just doing that cause its new. The prices seam extremely high considering you can get free one on the Internet that aren't that much worse. Even the sales price of 9.99 seams kinda high. But again not a terrible idea. 

ScottishGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ScottishGamer

Hmmm. I saw these guides on the steam store earlier when I switched on my PC and God damn, you would be stupid to buy them in my opinion. When I get stuck at certain parts in games I usually find an online guide and a youtube video to help me and I have to say this method has never failed.  

The whole strategy guide market seems a bit stupid to me since almost all people have the internet and there are plenty of excellent guides scattered around (I usually like the IGN ones), but hey they must make enough money considering they churn one out for most big game titles.  

I also think they are mostly pointless things considering the fact that most games these day are not very challenging most of the time. For instance my friend bought  the strategy guide for GTA IV when the game came out. He spent about £10 on it and If i remember rightly I only ever had to retry any of GTA IV's missions again a couple of times and that was not because I found it challenging, it was just due to me pullin' a Brad!!!    

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By JoelTGM

I just saw that on Steam.  It's stupid.  Games today are made so everyone can see the ending, so strategy guides aren't needed anymore, or even game manuals for that matter. 

wosifat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By wosifat

I'm the dumb one who still gets stuck in games, then.  Still wouldn't buy the strategy guide.  I guess someone still does, though.  It is nice to have the option not to have to get out of the game to look the stuff up and run the risk of forgetting what you just looked up when you go back into the game (or even forgetting what it was you were looking up,) or not even being able to find exactly what it is that you're looking for.  Lots of times I can use maps that are beyond what's offered in the ingame map (like the old-school Nintendo Power maps that are pretty much the artwork of the level itself) or just can't grasp what it is I'm supposed to be doing for a certain task.  I concur as well that the prices are too high, but kudos for them for trying something new.  I was wondering just the other day in a conversation how strategy guide publishers were going to survive in the age of the internet.  The answer: Offer something better than what you can get for free.  I applaud them on at least this first step.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I noticed that and it's sort of weird. Considering the fact most ppl use an online walkthrough with videos or at least gamesfaq.com. I'm not liking the idea of paying for a guide like that and it's taking over steam's front page.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#8  Edited By LordAndrew

I can already read guides via the Steam overlay. Why should I want to buy a digital guide to read via the Steam overlay when I can read any of the many free ones available online or buy an actual physical guide that I read without having to toggle the overlay constantly?

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By tmthomsen

The Prima guides often have exclusive hints from developers and publishers, but it's still silly. I can't even recall the last time I've been stuck in a game :s

hungrynun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By hungrynun

They're definitely reaching.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

I was kinda weirded out by it. Twenty bucks seems a little high for a digital strategy guide. Maybe 5 bucks would be a little more realistic, but whatever, won't be buying one anytime soon. :)

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HaltIamReptar

Yes, this idea is terrible.  I don't understand.

However, professional guides in general are not.  I seriously consider the Poke'mon series (DS) to not be enjoyable without a guide (primarily for Poke'mon locations).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.