PSA: If reinstall Steam/reformat you can't trade for 15 days

#1 Edited by Forcen (1827 posts) -

New Steam Guard feature to help protect your items

During our server maintenance on August 28th, 2013 we implemented a new security feature to protect users from having their items stolen. As a result you may receive a message that says you have logged into a new device and are unable to trade for 15 days. If this is the case you will need to wait the 15 day period before you can trade from that device/browser, because you are on a device/browser that has not had Steam Guard enabled on your account for 15 days. Steam Support is unable to remove this restriction from your account.

You can continue to trade from any devices or browsers, that were authorized for at least 15 days.

To avoid this restriction from triggering you should not delete Steam cookies from your browser, deactivate Steam Guard on your account or reinstall the Steam client. If you have Steam Guard enabled currently and have had it enabled for 15 days on your account then you will be unaffected by this change.

Our goal is to prevent trading on your account before you are able to react if your account is hijacked.

http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/864977563920604588/

Hopefully this will stop all the account hacking.

#2 Posted by TruthTellah (9100 posts) -

Good to know.

#3 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

Nice.

#4 Edited by Demoskinos (14835 posts) -

Cool stuff and good measure. Which is why I trust valve/steam.

#5 Posted by BisonHero (6531 posts) -

Also, if you change your Steam login password (by which I mean "if you have to reset it because you're BisonHero and too dumb to remember what you set it to originally"), it locks you out of trading for 5 days, I think it was? I did this back in like June/July.

#6 Posted by Nictel (2412 posts) -

Good that they do this, now that virtual items are getting more and more valuable.

#7 Posted by Forcen (1827 posts) -

Looks like they turned this of, lots of people that only use steam on Internet cafés complained.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.