Puppy Steam!

#1 Edited by Gargantuan (1881 posts) -

I just pre purchased Metro 2033 so that I could also gift RFG to a friend because I already own RFG but now I found out that you can't gift it.

Gonna send them an email but I doubt I'll be able to cancel my pre purchase.

This game better be awesome or I'll be fucking pissed off. Can't believe those assholes won't let me gift RFG.

#2 Posted by AjayRaz (12418 posts) -

you should of found out earlier, dude. i don't see the problem behind this.. since you get it for free.  

maybe it's just me. 

#3 Posted by MrKlorox (11208 posts) -

It wouldn't let you gift Red Faction even though you own already it on Steam? Or do you own it on disc or something else?

#4 Posted by Gargantuan (1881 posts) -

I own Red Faction on Steam

When you purchase a game on Steam, we offer the option to “gift” the item to anyone you choose(I guess not, assholes), whether or not the recipient is a current Steam user. The recipient will receive the gift as an attractive e-mail card with a personal message from you and instructions to redeem the game.

A Steam gift purchase is a one-time transfer—after the recipient has activated and installed the game, it is a non-refundable game in his or her Steam games collection. Also note that you may only gift new purchases—you may not transfer games you already own. That’d be like wrapping up and presenting the toaster you’ve used every morning for the past year.

#5 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -

Gifting multiple copies of games applies in very rare cases. That is usually only the case with Half-Life games.

#6 Posted by Forcen (1805 posts) -

You should be able to refund and cancel a prepurchase before the game is out.
Red Faction: Guerrilla just vanished from the EU steam store, glad i got it on the xmas sale before this thing happened.

#7 Posted by Dark_Jon (581 posts) -

Hmm, they let you do that for Saints Row 2 when you bought the DoW2 expansion, weird that they didn't allow it here. Definitely open a ticket with them.

#8 Posted by Driadon (2995 posts) -

You should be able to contact Valve, explain the situation and get your money back if you really don't want Metro 2033. They tend to be rather good about things like this.♠

#9 Posted by salad10203 (654 posts) -

A pc gamer complaining?  impossible.

#10 Posted by Gargantuan (1881 posts) -

I told them I wanted to cancel my pre-purchase on Steam supports Ask a question. Is there anything else I should do? 
Where else can I contact steam?

#11 Posted by MildMolasses (3213 posts) -

Why would you buy a game just to get another free game that you already have? Even if you were intending on giving it to someone else
#12 Posted by Ryax (4630 posts) -

how can you pre purchase a game thats already out?

#13 Posted by Gargantuan (1881 posts) -
@MildMolasses said:
" Why would you buy a game just to get another free game that you already have? Even if you were intending on giving it to someone else "
One of my friends was going to buy Red Faction from me
#14 Edited by Gargantuan (1881 posts) -
@Ryax said:

" how can you pre purchase a game thats already out? "

Its release date is March 20th here in Europe
#15 Posted by Ryax (4630 posts) -

makes sense

#16 Edited by Arzen (81 posts) -
#17 Posted by sexy_nipples (66 posts) -

You should be allowed....I mean they advertised that you could gift it 

#18 Posted by MrKlorox (11208 posts) -
@salad10203 said:
" A pc gamer complaining?  impossible. "
A complete douchebag troll in a PC related thread? Expected.
#19 Posted by Forcen (1805 posts) -

Being able to gift extra copies of games is an exeption. If the page doesent say you can gift extra copies you shouldn expect anything like it. 
Extra copies on Steam

@Gargantuan said:

When you purchase a game on Steam, we offer the option to “gift” the item to anyone you choose(I guess not, assholes)
You said that you bought the Metro 2033 pack for yourself, so the gifting system works just as it should.
Besides, you are not allowed to sell gifts on Steam anyway. That may be the reason why THQ, Not Steam or Valve chose to not let people gift extra copies of the game.
#20 Posted by august (3827 posts) -
@sexy_nipples said:
" You should be allowed....I mean they advertised that you could gift it  "
Uh. Did they?
#21 Posted by Fallen189 (4941 posts) -

"Fuck Steam"

How dare you.

#22 Edited by Gargantuan (1881 posts) -

Ah well, I might have overreacted but it's pretty annoying. Hope I'll be able to cancel but if I can't it's not the end of the world. Should have read the fine print.
I'll check my emails tomorrow and see if I get any replies from steam. Now I need to go to bed though, have to be up at 05:45.
Thanks for the help

Edit: I admit that I made the title of the thread that way to get faster replies, sorry about that.

#23 Edited by Shadow (4977 posts) -

Fucking steam seems like it would result in a lot of second degree burns

#24 Posted by salad10203 (654 posts) -
@MrKlorox: uhh, trolling is better than starting a troll thread. k, thx.
#25 Posted by Webby (720 posts) -
@salad10203 said:
" @MrKlorox: uhh, trolling is better than starting a troll thread. k, thx. "
Infact the thread is actually quite informative. I already own RFG and I am looking at getting Metro 2033. At least I know I won't be able to gift Red Faction now.
#26 Posted by MrKlorox (11208 posts) -
@salad10203 said:
" @MrKlorox: uhh, trolling is better than starting a troll thread. k, thx. "
If that's what you think this is, then you're an even bigger idiot than I thought.
#27 Posted by Babble (1270 posts) -

FYI: Valve has said multiple times, and it is on their website, extra copies of games are only allowed to be gifted if they are made by Valve, or if they specifically say you can, such as with the copy of Bioshock you got by preordering Bioshock 2. Steam has little to do with the fact that you can't gift RFG. If THQ told Valve no, then it's not like Valve can change that. 

Next time read up on the subject of gifting more carefully before making a $50 purchase.

#28 Posted by Gargantuan (1881 posts) -

My respect for steam is back now! They refunded me even though I installed the game and played a couple of chapters.:D Very nice game that runs good on my computer so I'll have to buy it later when the price is lower. 
 I realize that I made a mistake and not Steam and I want to apologize for this thread.

<3 Steam again. ;)

#29 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -

Not all dupes can be given away, there's a list on the steam site that tells you which game can and cannot be given away to a friend.

#30 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

Yeah. I think that's false advertising. I saw it with Metro 2033 and Just Cause 2 (I think). They said if you already own it then gift it to a friend. They should also let you be able to do it if you buy bundles. I bought the Titan Quest Gold pack and later on I bought the THQ Ultimate bundle. But I couldn't gift those games. Oh well, I'm not complaining much because they are some good ass deals.

#31 Posted by Evilsbane (4542 posts) -
@Arzen said:
" @Gargantuan:
Read this:  https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=4502-TPJL-2656 

It's all about extra copies.  Copy/pasted from support:

EXTRA COPIES ARE NOT GIVEN IN MOST CASES.

ONLY TITLES PURCHASED IN SPECIAL PROMOTIONS AS OUTLINED BELOW ARE ELIGIBLE FOR GIFTABLE EXTRA COPIES

"
Yea dude sorry steam outlines this pretty well, you can't really get to upset over it.
#32 Posted by MattyFTM (14348 posts) -

It's your own fault for assuming you could gift it when valve/steam said nothing about gifting it.

#33 Posted by Milkman (16540 posts) -

This is hardly a large issue.

#34 Posted by LordAndrew (14424 posts) -

You got lucky then. :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.