Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Question about gifting Steam games from the US to other countries

greylion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By greylion

I did a google search and saw some stuff about region locking in certain territories from around a year ago and I don't know if I'm understanding the exceptions correctly. I'm from the US and would like to gift someone a game who lives in Argentina and was wondering if there would be region locking restrictions preventing them from playing. From the things I read, it made it seem like the opposite wouldn't work, if I was gifted a game from Argentina, I wouldn't be able to play it, which is fine for my case.

So my question again is, can I, a person from the US, gift a person living in Argentina a steam game, and will they be able to play it without any region locking restrictions? Thanks in advance for the help!

RikiGuitarist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From my own experience a few years ago, you're free to gift games to whichever territory. But, if those games have restrictions on them in the territory where the person is trying to play it, they won't be able to play online, post to leaderboards, etc. because their IP would be banned from that territory.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

You're right, gifting games from the US store should work for almost any other region. The problems start happening when you try to gift a game from a "cheap" region such as Russia back to the US, UK, places like that.

If there is a problem gifting or redeeming the game you can always get a refund.

greylion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From my own experience a few years ago, you're free to gift games to whichever territory. But, if those games have restrictions on them in the territory where the person is trying to play it, they won't be able to play online, post to leaderboards, etc. because their IP would be banned from that territory.

@mike said:

You're right, gifting games from the US store should work for almost any other region. The problems start happening when you try to gift a game from a "cheap" region such as Russia back to the US, UK, places like that.

If there is a problem gifting or redeeming the game you can always get a refund.

Thank you both for the help!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.