Question about retail games activated on steam

#1 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

So im a big Steam user as some already know, but I havent actually ever gotten a retail game and activated it on Steam... until now that is. found some really cheap copies of a few games ive been wanting, but then i was wondering... what happens with the physical copy? Do these games NEED to be activated in order to even install them, or is there some sort of offline mode where you can just use the dvd? I assume not, otherwise multiple people could buy the same copy, but at the same time, if you cant, this completely destroys any chance of lending a game to a friend for example (which was my intention... actually i would just give the physical copies to a friend of mine that doesnt even use steam). So, which is it?

Weird times when you cant actually loan a game you bought to a friend if thats the case... im not bitching about it per se, just making a observation :)

#2 Posted by Vextroid (1362 posts) -

When you put the disk in it will ask you to install and then Steam will pop up a window saying enter your activation key. Once you enter the key and its verified it will start installing the game from the CD or Download it. You can throw the disk away in your closet unless you need to reinstall it.

Obviously key is one time use and you need steam/internet to install.

#3 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

yeah after i made the topic i looked at the game boxes and theres a big fat INTERNET REQUIRED logo on them... oh well. Like i said, weird times when you cant loan a game to a friend i guess :)

Side note... why are PC retail boxes so snazzy? Hologram covers, steelcases and shit... damn, almost makes me feel like getting retail versions. Well, not really, but they are nice...useless, but nice

#4 Posted by crusader8463 (14415 posts) -

Buying a Steam game on Disk just means you can install it from the disk and not need to download the entire game when you want to play it. You are basically just buying the CD key in the box.

#5 Edited by MattyFTM (14352 posts) -

It depends on the game. Most games solely activate via steam, and once they are activated no one else can use it without access to that steam account. With a few games (e.g. the Football Manager games) you can install it without steam, but you have to have the disk in the CD drive to use it. Not many games do that because you end up with people installing the disk version and then giving their steam code to a friend, or random people on the internet. You're essentially selling 2 copies of the game for the price of one.

#6 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@MattyFTM said:

It depends on the game. Most games solely activate via steam, and once they are activated no one else can use it without access to that steam account. With a few games (e.g. the Football Manager games) you can install it without steam, but you have to have the disk in the CD drive to use it. Not many games do that because you end up with people installing the disk version and then giving their steam code to a friend, or random people on the internet. You're essentially selling 2 copies of the game for the price of one.

What about Fallout 3? I got a Live key. But I might have used it all ready. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.