Question about steam

#1 Posted by mussbus999 (321 posts) -

Can i download a game on steam and then go to a friends house and log on at my friends house and play the game there?

#2 Posted by OmegaPirate (5522 posts) -

Yes you can :)

#3 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -
OmegaPirate said:
"Yes you can :)"

When you buy a game on steam, the game downloads to your computer. How would you be able to play it elsewhere?
#4 Posted by mussbus999 (321 posts) -

yeah thats what i was wondering bomb

#5 Posted by mussbus999 (321 posts) -

bump

#6 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -

I'm going to go out on a limb and say, probably not. Steam is a non DRM protected, price cut, digitally downloaded service that probably has its own place under "Convenience" in the dictionary.

Allowing people to play it on someone elses computer would be just a free pass to play the game without paying. I could just tell a buddy my Steam password and he could play the game whenever he wanted without paying for it, that would be ridiculous. So, I'll say no?

#7 Posted by OmegaPirate (5522 posts) -

Because you can download it onto another pc? if i go to a mates house and he has css downloaded and installed- i simply log onto my account and play it there.

If he has steam but not that game, i download it to his pc and then i can play itht here? then simply remove my login details when i leave so that he cant hog my account?

I dont actually do any of that - i have one pc, and none of my friends run steam

But they are options
#8 Posted by TheGTAvaccine (2884 posts) -
BiggerBomb said:
"I'm going to go out on a limb and say, probably not. Steam is a non DRM protected, price cut, digitally downloaded service that probably has its own place under "Convenience" in the dictionary.

Allowing people to play it on someone elses computer would be just a free pass to play the game without paying. I could just tell a buddy my Steam password and he could play the game whenever he wanted without paying for it, that would be ridiculous. So, I'll say no?"
Ever used Steam? Yes, you can go anywhere in the world and play your game on that computer.

If I downloaded TF2 on my computer, but went to a friends and logged onto my Steam account, I could download it again at his house. You have to be logged into Steam to play the games, and one account cant be logged in at 2 places.
#9 Posted by mussbus999 (321 posts) -

so steam knows that i bought it and i can install it on my friends computer when i log on?

#10 Posted by OmegaPirate (5522 posts) -

Yup

#11 Posted by TheGTAvaccine (2884 posts) -
mussbus999 said:
"so steam knows that i bought it and i can install it on my friends computer when i log on?"
Yes, as long as you log in with your account, you're good to go.
#12 Posted by pause422 (6188 posts) -

Yep everything is saved on your account in steam always, so where you log in to it from you can just install those games that will be on your games list just like at home from anywhere, and be playing them shortly wherever :) Steam rocks!

#13 Posted by KillswitchNL (3 posts) -
#14 Posted by xruntime (1920 posts) -

Make a steam support account, send them a ticket...they should reply quickly.

This is one of the many reasons why people tolerate Steam - it's DRM but it's not that intrusive or annoying, comparably.

If Windows gaming united behind steam, then maybe the PC would be a stronger platform compared to the consoles.

#15 Posted by KillswitchNL (3 posts) -

thanks, i'll try that

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.