Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Question about Steam.

Avatar image for deactivated-6157afb2b3c07
    deactivated-6157afb2b3c07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

Ok, I know this is going to be a very stupid question. But here it is. I am a very big pc gaming junky. I have tons of games in the retail box format. However, I just recently started really using steam and it is very awesome. I love it. I love it. I love it. Is there any way I can enable my box disc version to work with steam and people can see me playing it and such. Or do I have to buy it off of steam for all of that to work. I already kind of know the answer. But I am just asking anyway.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Some retail games will work through steam but not many. There is a list of them in this support article on steam.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Scooper
    Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Hamst3r
    @PainGod89: As Matty said above, some games can be added to steam via their product keys. When you do this, the games are permanently associated with your account. As for the games that can't be attached to Steam like this, adding them to your Steam list like Scooper said will at least show people what you're playing when you're playing it and you can use the in-game overlay for chat and web browsing.
    mchew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By mchew
    @Hamst3r said:
    " @PainGod89: As Matty said above, some games can be added to steam via their product keys. When you do this, the games are permanently associated with your account. As for the games that can't be attached to Steam like this, adding them to your Steam list like Scooper said will at least show people what you're playing when you're playing it and you can use the in-game overlay for chat and web browsing. "
    This is an important detail that many people overlook. I lost my original half life CD and key, and a few months ago i was able to redownload every expansion i ever owned because i had registered all my stuff over steam sometime in early 2003. Talk about awesome.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.