Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Question about Steam

RickJames123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RickJames123

Earlier today I picked up Shogun Total War 2 today.  Pretty physced to play it, so I try to install it.  You need a steam account, so I made one.  Than I entered the authentication code, but the "servers" were busy (because of Summer sale). So 45 minutes to 1 hour later, it lets me enter in the authentication code.  So now i'm installing it... but servers are "too busy" again.  So I re do the whole process, and it begins to download, but really really slow, and 15 minutes in its at 3% and estimated download time being 8 hours.   

Is there a way I can install it with....OUT Steam?  Because this is nothing more than bullshit.  Seriously, 11 hours to install a game with the discs already supplied.   

Is my Internet being shitty or is it Steam's servers, because I'm starting to get a little pissed 

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

Steam is backed up because of the Steam Summer Sale. It always happens during holiday sales. It's probably neither of your faults, just huge traffic.  

EDIT: Also, I have no idea about the physical copy install. Seems reasonable to assume you need Steam up since you're outputting information into Steam's servers rather than connected Sega servers...or something, I suck at Networking. 

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By CL60

Probably the steam servers getting hounded from the massive summer sales.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Driadon

If the box came with a disc, you should be able to put it in and have it install to Steam. That said, it may need updates and require some downloading, but not nearly to the same amount you need to initially install it.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Neither your fault nor Steam. When, presumably, all your users are downloading something at the same time, there's not much the server can except dial back the speed for everyone if they're lucky to even begin their download.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Rhaknar

Shogun 2 is a steamworks title, therefore you are fucked during sales for the reasons people have stated. What is usually a blessing, in this case, is a curse. You dont actually need to install the game btw, you could just add the key to steam and download from there

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

It should have come with a disk, and you should be able to install it via the disk without downloading it from steam.

Failing that, you can change the server in the settings to one that is less busy and download it that way.

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Connect to the Russian servers. They have the least population.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Jadeskye

@MattyFTM said:

It should have come with a disk, and you should be able to install it via the disk without downloading it from steam.

Failing that, you can change the server in the settings to one that is less busy and download it that way.

This.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By shirogane

Yeah, Shogun 2, and a lot of other steamworks games, are a bit messed up with the installation if you bought it on disc. It tried to redownload the whole game for me too, even though it's on the disc. I don't remember what i did, but try installing it a few more times or something, or taking steam to offline mode, or something. I eventually managed to get it to work without downloading the whole massive game. It was a major annoyance though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.