Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Rust under heavy DDOS attack... 4th day now

• 60 results
    PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm pretty sure the LoL, Dota 2, Club Penguin, etc. DDoS attacks have nothing to do with the Rust DDoS attacks. It is some French people doing the Rust ones I think.

This is what I heard as well.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#52  Edited By jakob187

For anyone who hasn't seen it, Phantoml0rd has responded to the events of yesterday. Crazy shit. Not only did the cops actually show up and whatnot, they actually show up during this video...along with the fire department.

Honestly, I sit in two places about this whole thing:

On one side, I work at a LAN gaming center that lost money yesterday because of LoL and other games being offline. That hits my pocketbook, and I already live paycheck to paycheck (as this is a small business). Therefore, it pisses me off.

On the other side...as someone who used to do some hacking back when I was in college for computer networking, this is fascinating at every step...and after them taking down Westboro's website, I really hope they go big at midnight. If they can DDoS YouTube, I will applaud the muthafuckers.

*EDIT*

Also, they've been DDoS'ing Garry's Mod.

HeyGuys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@blu3v3nom07 said:

Varga also apologized for his actions, and for any role he may have played in egging on the DDoS attacks that occurred this afternoon.

"If that was a mistake, I accept it," he said. "I apologize to the people who were affected by this, to the companies that their infrastructures were messed up, that had issues; it was not my goal for this to happen. It was not what I ever thought would happen. I knew it would have kept going, maybe, but not to the extent of what it was. I really did not know that it would be this intense."

Polygon contacted Varga's local police department for comment, but authorities were unable to provide information. We are still awaiting comment from Twitch. ..

Polygon: LoL, Dota 2 and other game servers shut down by group targeting Twitch user (update)

Why the hell is the streamer apologizing? What the hell is that about? That seems like nonsense.

I assume he's apologizing for continuing to stream and knowingly giving the hackers more targets to take down. He was obviously aware that they would take down anything he streamed so if, for example, he were to start playing LoL on a public stream he would know he was painting a target on their network and potentially putting a lot of their business in jeopardy.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
    alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By alwaysbebombing

Jesus Christ.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#55  Edited By amafi

@heyguys said:

@animasta: As far as I can tell he didn't actually do anything, he was just the most popular stream. Annoying internet trolls with no perspective, maturity, and too much time got a hold of something that could make them feel powerful and wanted people to know they could shut down websites/services other people enjoyed seems to be the whole story.

There was a whole segement of the last jar time video on who would do such a thing. Jeff summed it up quite nicely: bored and imature kids or people who didn't grow out of that fase.

AKA complete cunts. I have no sympathy for people who can only have fun if they're ruining someone else's fun. Fuck those kids' parents for not raising their kids right and fuck the kids in question (be they 11 or 43) for being complete cunts. They need a swift kick in their asses and all their personal information posted online stat.

MMOSimca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pretty sure the LoL, Dota 2, Club Penguin, etc. DDoS attacks have nothing to do with the Rust DDoS attacks. It is some French people doing the Rust ones I think.

People are going to blame DERP for all DDoS attacks for the next 3 months because they don't understand that there are many different DDoS groups attacking many different targets at every hour of the day. It's extremely common amongst Bitcoin pools, for example, to attack competing pools via DDoS, which cripples their operations. BF4 has been DDoSed for weeks at various points, and it is very clearly unrelated to DERP, but people will blame 'them' all the same.

As a side note, the DERP situation is hilarious because the guy (I doubt it is truly a group) is dumb as fuck. He Skyped the stream user, which directly exposed his real IP to PhantomLord's computer, so the police were able to track him. What an idiot - getting caught by using Skype to talk to victims, rofl. He's a literal kiddie, apparently, and he probably bought the botnet he's using.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#57  Edited By spraynardtatum

I think it's terrifying that the police showed up at his door with automatic rifles. I want to know what kind of questions they asked him.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

KittyVonDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Considering how these things usually pan out, the people behind it will be rewarded with news stories glorifying their actions, and then ultimately be hired by some mega internet company.

Thanks, Internet.

von_wemberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No words... Seriously puppy...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.