Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Selling extra copies?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cloudyimpulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Quick Noob question. I have an extra copy of Contraption Maker that was just put into my inventory when I bought the game. Is there a way to sell the extra copy on the steam market like in Dota or something like that?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By BisonHero

@cloudyimpulse: Nope, Steam doesn't allow selling "gift" copies of games to other Steam users. Even if Steam took a cut, that would still undermine all the deals Steam has with publishers. If a copy of a game is sold on Steam, Steam and the publisher get the revenue, not Steam and a random user.

So you can't directly get money or Steam Wallet funds, but you could possibly find somebody who wants Contraption Maker and is willing to give you the game's value except in Dota 2 keys or TF2 keys or something, which you could in turn trade to other people for like, other copies of games or TF2 hats or something.

cloudyimpulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By cloudyimpulse

Thanks for the quick reply and the explanation. Much appreciated!

Lock it up folks, nothing else to see here.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can trade games with anyone though.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By ThunderSlash

You can also sell TF2 keys at the marketplace for Steam Wallet money at like 2 bucks a pop. I'm sure this applies to Dota 2 keys as well.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.