Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

So what type of Wiki page will SteamOS and/or SteamBox have?

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#1  Edited By Forcen

Will it be a concept like Steam or a Platform like Linux? Will it be separate pages or are they considered the same thing? Probably better to wait until all surprises are revealed to make pages but still.

They have said that there will be "native" games for SteamOS and presumably Steambox or whatever they end up calling it. We have to attach those games to some kind of Wiki page right?

CatsAkimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By CatsAkimbo

I took "native" to just mean that it was running directly on the box rather than streamed from another computer, that doesn't necessarily mean it's different from a linux version of the game. As long as all the games that run on this can also run on mac/windows/linux, I don't really see it as a new platform, but just another way to play pc/mac/linux games.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

@catsakimbo: Yeah, I see what you mean. That sounds a bit like you described the Ouya though, kind of similar in that aspect.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By BisonHero

I'm sure people are already jumping the gun on making wiki entries, but I tend to agree that we should wait for everything to get announced in the next couple days so we know how all of this fits together. The wiki isn't a news publication; it doesn't need to get the "scoop" on the story the second it is announced, before we know many details.

mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

If steam lists SteamOS and Linux as two seperate operating system, it would be logical to make it a platform. But it is probably smart to hold out until more info is released

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.