Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Someone explain Steam to me.

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Contrarian

I have a Steam account, which is fine, that isn't what I am asking. My interest is with how it works (first time). I purchased a very cheap copy of RUSE and decided to give it a go. The label on the box says that internet is required for activation, so that is fine as well. Most games I have, required internet activation of the code. Then after much stuffing around, it appears that internet isn't just required for activation, it is required to play it. Is that right? Is that how Steam works?

I just wanted to play the damn game, but it was even worse than trying to play a new PS3 game. So many downloads or whatever it was doing. I just gave up. Why can't I play the game offline? Is that possible? I flatout don't want to be online to play games - that is my choice. Do I have to get a "back-up" copy of the game to play without all the hassles (which is legal if you own the game in my country)?

So, educate a gamer - what am I missing here? What do I need to know about Steam and how it works for retail games. Thanks.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Vexxan

In the Steam client, if you go to the first tab called Steam you can choose Go Offline... and you'll be able to play any game that is up-to-date offline.

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Contrarian

@Vexxan said:

In the Steam client, if you go to the first tab called Steam you can choose Go Offline... and you'll be able to play any game that is up-to-date offline.

Thamks, I will try that ....... I was hoping that it would be that simple. Once I choose offline though, does that mean I have to go to Steam every time I want to play the game?

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By fattony12000

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By niamahai

HOW DARE YOU SULLEN OUR PC GOD! HOW DARE YOU!?!

Jokes aside.

It's 2012 brah, its ok to be constantly online now. People are more tolerant now.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Turambar
    @Contrarian said:

@Vexxan said:

Thamks, I will try that ....... I was hoping that it would be that simple. Once I choose offline though, does that mean I have to go to Steam every time I want to play the game?

Launching the game outside of steam will cause the steam client to auto launch, so yes.
    DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DeeGee

So your internet often goes off without warning? That's the only reason I can figure for using Steam in offline mode. I mean, setting it to offline mode and then playing games while you still have internet to your computer is just ... useless.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By McShank

Steam should not be that hard to understand if you take the time to look around.. It is the number 1 pc game selling site / program, It stores all your games in its library so you only have to go to 1 location to launch a game. It will forever have your games saved in their servers after you purchase it so you can download it anytime again incase you needed to uninstall for any reason. It has a cloud saving system for games and can be played online / offline but if you play offline, make sure you have actual saves as if played online your saves will be in cloud (There are alot of games that have this feature which also can be turned off in the steam settings). You buy a game from steam, it gives you a choice to install now or later. It will download, go to your library to launch. Or buy a game at a store, Instal, If it is on steam then it will automatically be added, otherwise you will have to add it yourself as a non-steam game if you want it in your library.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#9  Edited By alistercat

RUSE is a Ubisoft title. A lot of publishers insist on stacking their own DRM on top of Steam. Steam games can be played in offline mode, but that doesn't stop individual publishers from preventing offline play.

Don't blame steam, blame Ubisoft.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By ajamafalous
    @McShank said:

Steam should not be that hard to understand if you take the time to look around.. It is the number 1 pc game selling site / program, It stores all your games in its library so you only have to go to 1 location to launch a game. It will forever have your games saved in their servers after you purchase it so you can download it anytime again incase you needed to uninstall for any reason. It has a cloud saving system for games and can be played online / offline but if you play offline, make sure you have actual saves as if played online your saves will be in cloud (There are alot of games that have this feature which also can be turned off in the steam settings). You buy a game from steam, it gives you a choice to install now or later. It will download, go to your library to launch. Or buy a game at a store, Instal, If it is on steam then it will automatically be added, otherwise you will have to add it yourself as a non-steam game if you want it in your library.

Didn't read the OP, I see.
    swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By swoxx

Ever since i stopped being a console whore and returned to my roots of the PC Master Race, I'm amazed at how good steam is now compared to when a PC was my main console (just before current gen consoles). No disc swapping, a nice and more importantly fast overlay, hot deals. It is good to be back to say the least!

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By McShank

@ajamafalous said:

@McShank said:

Didn't read the OP, I see.

I did, and I just wanted to give more info in case he didn't understand other things.

Potts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Potts

Here's the thing about Steam. You need active internet to start it up, but once Steam is started, you don't technically need to go into offline mode to play games without an internet connection. Steam will just kind of automatically go into offline mode when there is no internet available. You'll still be able to play your games, unless they are updating.

Some things to remember about offline mode:

Some games disable achievements for offline mode. Most AAA games will still let you get them, but smaller games tend to not give them to you. On a related note, Steam does not always track time played when offline, so those stats will be skewed.

You can't start up Steam without an internet connection. So if you have a laptop and you're going to be going somewhere without internet, start up steam at home, put it in sleep mode, go where you're going & it will work.

No cloud saves - like McShank said, make sure to save your games locally.

Some games require an authentication in addition to buying them on Steam, so you may have to sign into something the first time you play the game. In my experience, this happens a lot with EA games. So it's a good idea to start up a game while in online mode at least once, so you won't be disappointed when you go to play it offline & it tells you that you need to authenticate first.

Potts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Potts

@Swoxx said:

Ever since i stopped being a console whore and returned to my roots of the PC Master Race, I'm amazed at how good steam is now compared to when a PC was my main console (just before current gen consoles). No disc swapping, a nice and more importantly fast overlay, hot deals. It is good to be back to say the least!

This. Since I got a decent computer, Steam has become my primary gaming platform.

Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Grimluck343

@Swoxx said:

Ever since i stopped being a console whore and returned to my roots of the PC Master Race

Heil Gaben!

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Contrarian

Look, I get the love for Steam for a lot of people, but like love, it isn't universal. I gave up waiting for an update and I only use Windows for gaming on my Mac. I only play strategy games, so my Mac runs everything I have ever wanted perfectly fine. I just want to load the game up and play. Internet should be an option, not a requirement.

Not saying I will never use Steam. If they have a cheap game I want, then fine. But I usually just buy retail games very cheap to begin with. I think I will go with the option of downloading the game that is free of restriction - again, legal, I own the game. I don't blame Steam - don't assume I am attacking them, I am not. I don't like Ubisoft however - they have been ruining The Settlers lately, amongst other annoying things. Why do we get so used to being screwed around and just accept it? Just put the game in and play it - is it so hard?

Avatar image for deathstriker666
    deathstriker666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By deathstriker666

@Fattony12000 said:

Mac users lol

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By swoxx

@Contrarian: I get that, I don't think anyone claimed Steam suited everyone's needs. I do, however, think most of the GB community are gaming enthusiasts and steam offers everything from big blockbusters to small indie games, and that has appeal for an enthusiast.

Edit: And yes, Ubisoft is ruining PC gaming as much as they possibly can it seems.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

By-passing the issue completely, I just wanted to mention that I fully intend to buy a new specced-out PC and have it boot directly to Steam.

If they sort of of the small issues I have with the platform, and give it a slightly more stylish UI, I couldn't imagine a better way to game.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By AlexW00d

@Contrarian said:

Look, I get the love for Steam for a lot of people, but like love, it isn't universal. I gave up waiting for an update and I only use Windows for gaming on my Mac. I only play strategy games, so my Mac runs everything I have ever wanted perfectly fine. I just want to load the game up and play. Internet should be an option, not a requirement.

Not saying I will never use Steam. If they have a cheap game I want, then fine. But I usually just buy retail games very cheap to begin with. I think I will go with the option of downloading the game that is free of restriction - again, legal, I own the game. I don't blame Steam - don't assume I am attacking them, I am not. I don't like Ubisoft however - they have been ruining The Settlers lately, amongst other annoying things. Why do we get so used to being screwed around and just accept it? Just put the game in and play it - is it so hard?

If you were to read the comments people have written, you'd realise it is an option; the only time you need Steam to be online is to buy games, validate retail games with steamworks, and use the community stuff etc. Other than that you can play all your games in offline mode forever and always. Unless you buy games from Ubisoft who impose an online always rule, and multiplayer only games.

largo6661

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By largo6661

Is RUSE ubisoft? if it is those guys love DRM.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Sooty

Yeah fuck Ubisoft. From Dust still hasn't been patched by them so it's still unplayable with a mouse.

Not paying money for any of their future games, no matter how cheap they may be.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By RIDEBIRD

Yes, the problem is Ubisoft in this case. Try any game from any other publisher and you'll understand. You can be offline with most Steam titles, and it works fine. Ubisoft games however is not one of those.

Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#24  Edited By Draugen

@Swoxx said:

I raise my champagne glass to you. Sir. It is not an easy thing to elevate oneself from the ranks of the unwashed, filthy console vagrants into the hallowed halls of the PC Master Race.

*clink*

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25  Edited By tmthomsen

@AlisterCat said:

RUSE is a Ubisoft title. A lot of publishers insist on stacking their own DRM on top of Steam. Steam games can be played in offline mode, but that doesn't stop individual publishers from preventing offline play.

Don't blame steam, blame Ubisoft.

This is the truth.

A rule of thumb: don't buy PC games from Ubisoft.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By swoxx

@Draugen: Thank you, I find having been part of the elite before my downfall into consoles made the climb back up easier.

sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By sjupp

@Fattony12000 said:

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

It's a console for your computer.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By fattony12000
    @Sjupp said:

@Fattony12000 said:

No Caption Provided

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By shiftymagician

@Fattony12000 said:

No Caption Provided
    @Sjupp said:

@Fattony12000 said:

Oh god...both of those guys are just oh so horrible!

EDIT: Oh god and I am oh so stupid!! It's late over here and somehow I didn't realise both those vids are the same guy. The stupidity has hit my brain too hard.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#31  Edited By Commisar123

Yeah just choose go offline it should work out fine

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Capum15
    @Potts said:

You can't start up Steam without an internet connection. So if you have a laptop and you're going to be going somewhere without internet, start up steam at home, put it in sleep mode, go where you're going & it will work.

You can start Steam without a connection; you just have to wait. It takes about 20-30 seconds or so for my client, if my Internet drops, to say something like, "Cannot connect to servers, start Steam in Offline Mode?" And you can hit yes and play.

Well, that's been my experience three times fairly recently that I can recall.
    Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Contrarian

Thanks people, you have educated me well.

Conclusion: Steam = Good. Ubisoft = Evil.

I will try out a "proper" Steam download that suits me sooner or later and see how right you all are. I will however avoid Ubisoft games. I remember looking at the last Settlers game thinking, "screw you if you think I want a game that requires persistent internet connection". How right I was.

Potts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Potts

@Capum15 said:

@Potts said:

You can start Steam without a connection; you just have to wait. It takes about 20-30 seconds or so for my client, if my Internet drops, to say something like, "Cannot connect to servers, start Steam in Offline Mode?" And you can hit yes and play.Well, that's been my experience three times fairly recently that I can recall.

I know it works for some people, but if I try to start up Steam on Windows without any internet, it will not work. It will give the option to go into online mode, and then try to validate my account anyway, and then say "could not connect to Steam servers" and quit out.

If you know a solution to this, I would be very interested in knowing it.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Capum15
    @Potts: That's odd. I read something that said Steam may do that if it thinks it needs to update, but if you're fully updated then I have no idea, since it worked for me in the past without me having to do anything.
    ds8k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ds8k

@deathstriker666 said:

@Fattony12000 said:

Mac users lol

Yeah, basically sums up this video. The guy is a moron that doesn't know why his game isn't instantly available.

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Contrarian

RUSE on PC is just a pain. It is up to date, but last night, I couldn't get the game to run at all. I am just going to get me another copy, free, that will run without any of these annoyances. I understand overall that Steam is excellent, but when I want to play a game, I want to play a game, not stuff around. It keeps asking me to reinstall it and won't connect to Steam even though the internet connection is fine. No idea what is wrong any more.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#38  Edited By Cirdain

@ds8k said:

@deathstriker666 said:

@Fattony12000 said:

Mac users lol

Yeah, basically sums up this video. The guy is a moron that doesn't know why his game isn't instantly available.

"I'm not hype."

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.