Spelunky or Brothers

#1 Posted by cyberbloke (43 posts) -

Both Spelunky and Brothers are on sale on Steam. Both are thought highly if by Giant Bomb staff.

I'd appreciate any thought about which one to go for.

#2 Posted by Nightriff (4335 posts) -

Haven't played Brothers but I really like Spelunky, I recommend it.

#3 Posted by Milkman (16222 posts) -

Depends what you want. If want something short and story driven, then Brothers. If you want something you can play for a long time, Spelunky.

#4 Edited by Guesty_01 (339 posts) -

Buy both for the goodness of all mankind! But if it's just one, I wouldn't like to miss out on Brothers before the years end.

#5 Posted by cloudymusic (918 posts) -

Spelunky has way more replay value, if that matters. But Brothers is pretty good too, albeit sort of a short "once and done" sort of experience.

#6 Edited by tineaus (17 posts) -

Tough for me to say. I mean, in all honesty. I think Spelunky is a better time, aka, more fun.

Brothers is important in a design sort of way. It's relatively simplistic though. It's the sort of "if you play it once there's no real reason to play it again aside from wanting to see the story again". I think the story of brothers is the dividing point. It didn't really grab me at all. Others it did very much so.

I guess it comes down to whether you want something more game-y or more artistic. (though, having been able to buy only one. In retrospect, I would have rather gotten Spelunky.)

#7 Posted by cyberbloke (43 posts) -

Thanks for the responses. I went for Spelunkly, as it looks like something I can dip into for a long time to come.

Seems fun so far.

#8 Posted by AlisterCat (5396 posts) -

I want both, but can afford neither. You can't go wrong, but they are very different experiences.

#9 Posted by Chuncho_Munos (43 posts) -

Brothers hands down for me, spelunky is good, but it's good at best, brothers could be mediocre for you but at best it's really great.

#10 Posted by jimmyfenix (3680 posts) -

Spelunky !!!

#11 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (4423 posts) -

All I'll say, is Spelunky is the shit.

#12 Posted by benspyda (1891 posts) -

I just bought both in the sale. Brothers is fantastic. I didn't expect that much as the quicklook didn't sell me on it and Brad can get over excited for all sorts of strange things, but man does that game get good in the second half. It's the fantasy world and story that makes the game great though, not the gameplay or puzzle solving. That said, the gimmick of controlling the two brothers works fine and at a point in the story there is a pretty big pay off.

Spelunky is fun too but it's a exact opposite kind of game, all about the gameplay and far more for your moneys worth if that matters to you. Soundtrack is great too.

I'd say Brothers is my personal favorite out of the two but you can't go wrong with either.

#13 Edited by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -
Guess what game he likes.

Brad commands it!

#14 Posted by SharkEthic (945 posts) -

Haven't played Spelunky, but Brothers is a ham-fisted piece of garbage that controls like ass and tries to tug at your heartstrings with the subtlety of the fucking apocalypse, so chalk up another vote for Spelunky on my behalf.

#15 Posted by djou (828 posts) -

@cyberbloke: Just finished Brothers this weekend, its a fun but a bit overrated. The game is basically Ico with a more tear-jerking story and innovative controls. Brothers is also quite short, around 3 hours if you explore with little replay value.

I love Spelunky, it has thousands of hours of re-playability, but the learning curve is insane. You may spend hundreds of hours trying to get out of the first two worlds. I would watch videos of the daily challenges to see if its something you are willing to commit. Unless you are an ace platformer gamer, you'll be sinking in a lot of time learning all the items and mastering the mechanics. Just check out how bad Brad is at the game. Its literally a game you need to practice to be good at. So if you want something casual play Brothers, or The Stanley Parable.

#16 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3595 posts) -

These are different enough that you should be able to figure it out.

Both very good.

#17 Edited by dudeglove (7245 posts) -

Spelunky is delicious if you're into roguelikes like Binding of Isaac or Rogue's Legacy or... I dunno. Whatever else is roguelikeish nowadays.

#18 Edited by Gamer_152 (13970 posts) -

They're such different games. I'd say maybe Brothers, but these kind of questions are always hard to answer without knowing the tastes of the person asking them.

#19 Edited by McLargepants (333 posts) -

Gameplay-wise, Spelunky is the hands down winner. The mechanics in Brothers never evolve past the most basic puzzle solving, with one portion where you have to operate the kids quickly, though that itself doesn't add any new challenges. Story-wise, Spelunky doesn't have much, if anything to offer, but Brothers story is just bad. It's predictable, emotionally manipulative, melodrama.

I'll describe my experience with both games. With Spelunky, I've sunk 5-10 hours in, and I still go back nearly every day to continue to hone my skills further. I always have a really good time playing it, and even though I started out really bad I've gotten much better (though still far from good). With Brothers, I played the full 2 or so hour game in about 4 or 5 sittings because I couldn't stand playing that game for more than 20 minutes at a time. It is PAINFULLY boring. Like I said both the story and gameplay are extremely weak. It tries desperately to be a Jorney-like "art" game and falls incredibly short.

I'll conclude my weirdo rant here by mentioning something that the Idle Thumbs brought up that resonated with me. I'm paraphrasing here: Spelunky is a game you'd think Nintendo would make if they continued making games like their late-80s and early 90s stuff. It's got sharp platforming, difficulty that is surmountable with practice, and it's endlessly replayable.

Get Spelunky.

#20 Edited by DamnBoxes (11 posts) -

Spelunky offers you the most bang for your buck, by a long shot.

#21 Posted by laserguy (412 posts) -

I havent played Brothers, but I own spelunky and it's a good time. It work's really well as a couch co-op.

#22 Posted by pyromagnestir (3943 posts) -

@djou said:

@cyberbloke: Just finished Brothers this weekend, its a fun but a bit overrated. The game is basically Ico with a more tear-jerking story and innovative controls. Brothers is also quite short, around 3 hours if you explore with little replay value.

I love Spelunky, it has thousands of hours of re-playability, but the learning curve is insane. You may spend hundreds of hours trying to get out of the first two worlds. I would watch videos of the daily challenges to see if its something you are willing to commit. Unless you are an ace platformer gamer, you'll be sinking in a lot of time learning all the items and mastering the mechanics. Just check out how bad Brad is at the game. Its literally a game you need to practice to be good at. So if you want something casual play Brothers, or The Stanley Parable.

Hundreds of hours? That's a stretch. It really isn't that hard... Unless you're approaching the game in a really terrible way.

Don't get me wrong, beating the game is super fucking hard. I've come very, very... oh so very close to finishing the game from 1-1 a number of times, (most recently I fucking lost my fucking senses and fucking Olmec fucking crushed me as he fucking plunged into the fucking lava and we both fucking died together) but have yet to do it, the normal way at least, don't get me started on other fucking ways... Unlocking the shortcuts can be fucking hard. Getting through each individual stage sometimes seems like it's close to a 50/50 proposition, and when you just start it's probably way less than that. But I'm not skilled at most games, and I've come a long way in a relatively short time. Certainly not hundreds of hours.

You could play the game for hundreds of hours, I'm not there yet, likely not even close, but I intend to go back for more, at least till I finally do make it all the way through, but if you aren't making it out of the first couple worlds with some regularity by hour 20 or so it's because you're doing something wrong. And if so your name is probably Brad Shoemaker. :P

#23 Posted by crithon (2574 posts) -

Brothers is relaxing game, don't think I would replay it for achievements. More like one of those games you want to show off to other people to make yourself seem like a taste maker.

It's not that bad, not saying it's pretentious. It's clever ideas on doing new and clever things of storytelling. You need to have a different mindset for this game.

#24 Edited by GnaTSoL (778 posts) -

I've beaten Spelunky and I'm still playing Spelunky Daily. I just keep finding new exciting secrets in Spelunky. The secrets are the true driving force of Spelunky. Incredible game and probably my top game of the generation (I haven't played to finish many games this generation so take that as you will.)

Like I just found out there's a alien lvl...... I was like this :O I havn't even made it to the golden and hell lvl.

#25 Edited by Eujin (1293 posts) -

I agree with the little girl.

#26 Edited by noizy (637 posts) -
  • Brothers is about a 3h game. Once you're done you're not gonna play it again as it's very plot heavy. It is well made, but I didn't find it as engaging as The Walking Dead from a plot perspective.

• Spelunky, if you like rogue-likey-like, will have you bang your head against it for tens of hours. Download the original if you want to try it out. The paid version is more polished, but mechanically the original is very close to it. If you enjoy game for their mechanics and you like those "tough but fair" games, it's a stellar example.

What do you like about video games? Plot/stories or game mechanics? Take your pick.

#27 Posted by 8Bit_Archer (427 posts) -

I now you have already made your decision and either one would have been great buys. Brothers however is beautiful and heartwarming and blends together story and game-play in a way that you don't realize they are doing it until the end...its short and I would have went with spelunky as well(reply value) but do your self a favor pick up brother the next steam sale....you want be disappointed.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.