Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Steam Client says I need the latest version of Flash Player

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So I was looking up information about Divinity: Original Sin and I was thinking on purchasing it from Steam. I went to the game's Steam page through the installed client and this strange thing happened: "You need the latest version of Flash Player plugin to view this page correctly". I couldn't even check out the pictures. It was working just fine before so this must have happened after an update? I got an update today. What's even stranger is that I have no plugin installed since on Windows 8 you get Flash Player built in, but it was working just fine without it. So does anyone else have this issue as of late? Or is the flash player messed up? I am using Windows 8.1 Update with flash player 14.0.0.145. Steampowered website seems to work as it should though.

Juvator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Juvator

Hey man,

I just had the exact same issue and coeincidentally I also noticed it when I wanted to check out Divinity: Original Sin as well.

All other games give me the same issue too, and if you google around a bit you can see that people were having this issue 6-7 years ago...

I'm really really annoyed because I am most definitely 100% sure that I have the latest and I've already tried a ton of so called fixes and none of them work.

Not 10 minutes ago I was looking at all the screenshots and video's just fine and now poof its all gone.

It's really pissing me off that I can't seem to fix it and especially that this issue has been around since forever and it still seems to happen randomely to people.

I read something about flash player for IE being different than other browsers but I only use IE myself and that's all I've used lately.

The flash plugin for IE and the required plugin for steam appear to be the same one so that should not be the issue either.

Also the shop shows the videos and screenshots in my IE browser just fine just not in the steam client.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did it happen after the recent update for you too? The one that should:

• Fixed potential exploit reported in CVE-2014-4609

I am also just using Internet Explorer, and I also forgot to mention that this happens on every game tab featuring a video. Setting the PC in hibernation or doing a system restart doesn't help, so I think something went wrong when they updated the Steam Client for Windows 8 users and/or people not using Chrome. Are you using Windows 8 too?

Juvator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah I use windows 7 Ultimate.
    I vagely recall having this issue some years back as well and I got no idea what I did to fix it.
    I think I just didn't do anything and apparently it went away but I have no clue how long that took.
    But yeah we might just have to wait though I'm still not that confident about that either :)

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Bollard

@fritzdude said:

What's even stranger is that I have no plugin installed since on Windows 8 you get Flash Player built in, but it was working just fine without it.

Flash player is built in to the operating system for Internet Explorer, and I believe Steam uses a different version of flash player for "other" browsers. If its coming up with a message saying you need flash it should have a link to download it, have you just tried installing that?

This is the Steam flash tutorial: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/

This is the "Other" browsers version of flash it links to (and yes there's a Win8 version): http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/

JohnLocke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Had the same issues but it seems to have been resolved. Not sure if Steam updated when I logged in this morning or whether it was just a bug.

Juvator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Juvator

@bollard:

when I select it should I select the version for IE or the version for other browsers?
    Because I only have IE and steam and its the client that says it needs the latest update.
    I don't quite understand which version could be the one missing then.

@johnlocke

It's still the same for me unfortunately.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@juvator: You want the one for "Other browsers". Can't guarantee it will fix it, but worth a go.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Going through adobe's download page for Flash Player just redirects me to troubleshoot Windows 8 Flash Player. Doing some research, it seems this particular issue with Steam happened indeed after the recent update and more people have reported it: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3250695 .While there's probably some ways to temporarily fix this, primarily for Windows 8 users, I think Valve has to release a new update that will target this problem. I mean it's not a major issue. Until then I will keep this thread open for suggestions to users who wants this fixed without Valve and to people searching after this recent problem.

CByrne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't believe there hasn't been an "Uninstall divekick" joke yet...

That's a bizarre issue. Hopefully Valve is quick on the fix.

Juvator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbyrne said:

I can't believe there hasn't been an "Uninstall divekick" joke yet...

That's a bizarre issue. Hopefully Valve is quick on the fix.

Well seeing as this issue was already happening back in 2008 I doubt they are even working on it at all.

Taskman_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I figured this issue out, been annoying me off and on for a month now. Looking into how steam interacts with the OS, I found it wants to use the flash plugin on your default browser. It had switched from Chrome to IE at some point. The issue did come up after a steam update a month ago, could have caused it.

Either way, when I switched back to Chrome as the OS default browser and restarted steam. All was good again.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@taskman_ said:

I figured this issue out, been annoying me off and on for a month now. Looking into how steam interacts with the OS, I found it wants to use the flash plugin on your default browser. It had switched from Chrome to IE at some point. The issue did come up after a steam update a month ago, could have caused it.

Either way, when I switched back to Chrome as the OS default browser and restarted steam. All was good again.

Very interesting, but unfortunately it did not work for me as I don't use a secondary internet browser, I only use Internet Explorer and it is already set to default operating browser.

For anyone using multiple browsers try this out:

• Option 1: go to "standardprograms" by typing it in search (swipe right on Windows 8). At the top it should say something like "set standardprogram", and in there I think you should see Chrome. So click on that and set it as standard. Restart Steam and see if it helped.
    • Option 2: Click the Chrome menu toolbar and click settings. It should be a section for "Default Browsers" and in there you should be able to change Chrome to the default browser. Now restart Steam Client.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By FritzDude

A Steam Client Update was released on 14th August 2014 that changed the UI and fixed a lot of issues, including performance improvements to the client itself. In this update this particular issue with Flash Player has now been fixed for me and if you're having the same you should update Steam (updates automatically) to see if this fixed it for you.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.