Steam Games Uninstalling Themselves?

#1 Posted by Gruebacca (519 posts) -

I have a 2 TB drive that's dedicated for gaming purposes, so I'm able to have all my games downloaded on my machine. All of a sudden, about a dozen games in my library decided to become uninstalled, and now I have to go and re-download them if I have any inkling to play them. It was mostly a bunch of Valve games, but several others were rendered uninstalled too. The files are still on my computer, but Steam isn't recognizing them. I've restarted Steam and my computer to no avail.

Does anyone have solutions to this problem without actually spending the effort to re-download them? I haven't found any solution on the Internet that has worked for me.

#2 Edited by Bollard (5551 posts) -

@gruebacca: Surely if the files are still there, when you attempt to redownload it should be pretty much instant? As it will install to the same directory, and when Steam downloads files I'm pretty sure it checks if they already exist.

#3 Edited by Gruebacca (519 posts) -

@chavtheworld: It depends, but it's always between 50 and 100% of the game that downloads.

#4 Posted by GoldROCK (52 posts) -

@gruebacca: did you ever figure it out? I had the same thing happen earlier this year with Metro: LL. Had to download the entire thing again. I was livid with it happening with one game, so I can't imagine a dozen games.

#5 Posted by Capum15 (4901 posts) -

I've had this happen before, but it always noticed that the files were there when I tried to re-download to the same directory, and it was near instant, or maybe a small download, and they were fine again.

#6 Edited by Gruebacca (519 posts) -
#7 Posted by DeadeyeMcCoy (257 posts) -

When I tried to launch L4D2 yesterday it came up with a DLL missing error, one I'd never seen before. I've never had issues like that with the game for the 4 years I've owned it and played it pretty regularly, so I went to investigate and found out it had, well, half-uninstalled itself. Like, about half of the install files were just kind of missing. File verification and re-download fixed it, but was kind of a pain since I customize that game in a few weird ways. May not be the same problem, but I figured I'd mention it.

#8 Posted by ch3burashka (5081 posts) -

THE CALL WAS COMING FROM INSIDE THE HARD DRIVE

#9 Posted by Nictel (2412 posts) -

I had that too with some Half-Life games: I think it happens when they do a 'more efficient file/compression' update and it goes wrong somewhere.

#10 Edited by building_phil (1 posts) -

This happened to almost half my games but it was a simple fix. Select to re-install the game then when you re-install just put it in the same folder it was before(where it is now, for me all the files were there it just wasn't recognizing them or whatever) then I didn't have to do anything else. Every game that needed to be re-installed had switched back to PLAY. must be a bug like Nictel said

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.