Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Steam Machine System Specs

SharkMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By SharkMan

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamuniverse#announcements/detail/2145128928746175450

The 300 prototype units will ship with the following components:

GPU: some units with NVidia Titan, some GTX780, some GTX760, and some GTX660

CPU: some boxes with Intel i7-4770, some i5-4570, and some i3

RAM: 16GB DDR3-1600 (CPU), 3GB GDDR5 (GPU)

Storage: 1TB/8GB Hybrid SSHD

Power Supply: Internal 450w 80Plus Gold

Dimensions: approx. 12 x 12.4 x 2.9 in high

didn't see a thread about this here so i thought i would post one; looks like specs are a lot higher than i expected.

edit: not sure why the topic came up as a question, newb topic starter here.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Hmm. I'm no PC expert, but 16GB RAM seems like overkill for a machine made just for gaming and media streaming. Also, 450w power seems maybe a bit low to make it viable for future upgrades. Maybe they'll swap. Otherwise, that's a nice little PC.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Justin258

So buy one of these and a copy of Windows and you're good for a gaming PC.

@joshwent said:

Hmm. I'm no PC expert, but 16GB RAM seems like overkill for a machine made just for gaming and media streaming. Also, 450w power seems maybe a bit low to make it viable for future upgrades. Maybe they'll swap. Otherwise, that's a nice little PC.

It's probably a little bit of future proofing on their part. I think Watch Dogs is going to require 4GB and that's just a cross-gen game. I wouldn't be surprised if 16 becomes the standard amount of gaming PC RAM two years from now.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Hope I get one of those with the Titan in it.
    And then hope the Valve guys are so confused and I can send it back later with a GTX660 in it!

But seriously, not terrible specs for a machine like that I guess

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By benpicko

Wow that's much better than I was expecting but seriously how much are they expecting to sell this for?

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah exactly, I saw that this was on a Linux based operating system and was designed with streaming in mind and expected something that would end up more competitively priced. Who's going to pay a tonne of money for one with Titan built in? Wouldn't those people just build their own?

SharkMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@benpicko said:

Wow that's much better than I was expecting but seriously how much are they expecting to sell this for?

i couldn't see this go below 600 easy, but since its Valve, who knows.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By zeforgotten

@benpicko said:

That is the big question for sure, though I would hope that Valve knows exactly how cheap some people are able to get hardware for a PC these days when they're willing to look around for deals for more than 1,5 seconds and maybe set their prices accordingly.

Obviously not gonna bump it lower because manufacturing probably costs a lot as well.
    But when they release Half-Life 3 at some point and the masses go "WOOO! WAITING FOR ELEVATORS AND OH LOOK PHYSICS BASED PUZZLES!" Valve will earn so much money that they'll just throw SteamBoxes at everyone in the world.

They're like the Oprah of the gaming community.
    Only armed with knives

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@benpicko said:

@believer258 said:

Yeah exactly, I saw that this was on a Linux based operating system and was designed with streaming in mind and expected something that would end up more competitively priced. Who's going to pay a tonne of money for one with Titan built in? Wouldn't those people just build their own?

If you have some idea of what a Titan is but have no clue how to put together the rest of your computer, then I can see someone buying this.

@benpicko said:

That is the big question for sure, though I would hope that Valve knows exactly how cheap some people are able to get hardware for a PC these days when they're willing to look around for deals for more than 1,5 seconds

Another requirement would be having loads of disposable income, of course. If you're a guy on the upper end of society who has wanted to try PC gaming for a while but has never had the know-how or the time or the motivation to get into learning anything about PC's, then you could pick one of these up and install Windows (which doesn't even require work these days and may actually take less than 39 minutes!) and be good to go.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@benpicko said:

@believer258 said:

If you have some idea of what a Titan is but have no clue how to put together the rest of your computer, then I can see someone buying this.

@zeforgotten said:

@benpicko said:

That is the big question for sure, though I would hope that Valve knows exactly how cheap some people are able to get hardware for a PC these days when they're willing to look around for deals for more than 1,5 seconds

Another requirement would be having loads of disposable income, of course. If you're a guy on the upper end of society who has wanted to try PC gaming for a while but has never had the know-how or the time or the motivation to get into learning anything about PC's, then you could pick one of these up and install Windows (which doesn't even require work these days and may actually take less than 39 minutes!) and be good to go.

That's true, nothing really changes I guess because that's pretty much how it is now.
    Want a PC and play some games quick and easy? then people just buy them. Others setup their own.

Also, I remember a time where windows sometimes took an hour to install and the install progress window said "Might take a few minutes"
    Good times! .. All this less than 39 minutes business is making me worried.
    How little is it installing? How much am I missing out on for not buying the "Ultimate Haha Not Home or Pro-edition-what-a-bunch-of-chumps, Super Duper Dapper Amazing X-Treme Extreme" version of Windows?

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Cameron

The announcement in the link makes me very worried this is just going to end up being a dumb branding thing that OEMs can slap on their pre-built gaming PCs. If Valve isn't making the box, then there won't be a subsidy for buying it. That means that we're probably going to end up with Dell, HP, and Asus making Steamboxes that suck just as much as their current desktop gaming computers (think a million GBs of RAM and 8TB of HDD space, but a low end video card and no SSD) and cost either the same or slightly less (because of the lack of Windows).

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

Well this should be interesting.

No surprise they are sticking with NVidia for their excellent Linux binary video card drivers.

Just spec'ing a hardware target range for Linux gaming is going to be a big help to getting things moving finally. Plus they will iron out all of the driver nonsense. The things should just work when you power them up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.