Steam Machine Tear Down

#1 Edited by avantegardener (1107 posts) -

Spoilers, it turns out it's a PC.

#2 Posted by Humanity (8714 posts) -

I mean like all consoles right? Sorry I'm on mobile so I haven't had a chance to view the actual video.

#3 Posted by avantegardener (1107 posts) -

@humanity said:

I mean like all consoles right? Sorry I'm on mobile so I haven't had a chance to view the actual video.

Pretty much, have to say though, quite nice form function. I can see how this would be appealing to someone who doesn't own a PC. The price is whats going to determine everything though.

#4 Edited by Vuud (1943 posts) -

It makes me think of something like a Baby's First PC!

I'm interested as all hell to see how this plays out. The best thing the steambox has going for it is the ability to upgrade some components. The last cycle of console generations was so long and I expect this new one to be even longer, there's got to be something to shake up the stagnation caused by ancient hardware we saw in the last couple years. And even then is there anything about the new generation that is blowing people's minds? Anyway now it seems the youngsters are moving away from real desktop PCs to tablets and such there may be a demand for a PC game box. I hope it doesn't turn out like the OUYA; which is unlikely because I think Gaben still has his shit together.

#5 Edited by chiablo (893 posts) -

It's a really intelligently built PC. I can't see them selling it for less than $600 for the model with conservative specs.

#6 Posted by Vuud (1943 posts) -

This guy has some videos of him using the controller. Holy cow that controller looks like a piece of shit. If I had a steam box I would definitely plug in my 360 controller.

#7 Posted by planetfunksquad (399 posts) -

@vuud said:

Holy cow that controller looks like a piece of shit. If I had a steam box I would definitely plug in my 360 controller.

Its a prototype...

#8 Edited by 2HeadedNinja (1526 posts) -

@vuud said:

This guy has some videos of him using the controller. Holy cow that controller looks like a piece of shit. If I had a steam box I would definitely plug in my 360 controller.

You do realize that controller is not the final product, right?

#9 Posted by RonGalaxy (2835 posts) -

@vuud: the only thing I like about that controller is the 2 large buttons on the back of it. That would have been a great edition to the ps4/xb1 controllers

#10 Edited by AndrewB (7439 posts) -

Some of that looks way too purpose-built for cooling to offer optimal upgrade options given the different shapes and sizes between evolving components, which sort of defeats the purpose of it being a PC. It is what it is: Valve made a video game console. I'd still love to have one if I hadn't already made the transition to mini ITX.

#11 Posted by Vuud (1943 posts) -

@2headedninja: @planetfunksquad: I am talking about the design itself, in particular the touchpads. Seeing it in action it just looks like an awful way to control movement and aiming in a game, especially FPS. It looks cool and a bit of a novelty but I think analog sticks are the way to go for a controller.

#12 Posted by Doctorchimp (4067 posts) -

@vuud said:

@2headedninja: @planetfunksquad: I am talking about the design itself, in particular the touchpads. Seeing it in action it just looks like an awful way to control movement and aiming in a game, especially FPS. It looks cool and a bit of a novelty but I think analog sticks are the way to go for a controller.

That's not the problem they're trying to solve. Because analog sticks definitely aren't the way to go to move a move cursor in a PC game.

#13 Posted by Amafi (518 posts) -

@doctorchimp: The input is not the biggest issue with a lot of those games though. Even if you use xpadder and get controller support in say, crusader kings/path of exile/Dota playing with a controller will still be a shitty experience. And for a lot of PC centric games the main issue is actually the interface design and not the control mechanism. There's just way too much text to read in way too small a font to be comfortable on a TV 10 feet+ away. And for games that already work great with a controller this thing will obviously be inferior to a 360 pad.

#14 Edited by Veektarius (4540 posts) -

@amafi: That's a pretty good point regarding the space that the steambox will occupy in the first place. It seems like for all the talk of playing Civ from your couch, it's really more suited toward offering an alternative console for multiplatform games that will introduce some pricing competition.

#15 Posted by Amafi (518 posts) -

@veektarius: Except it's not a console and it doesn't play any console games. It's just a PC with an operating system that does not support the kinds of games that drive buying decisions and won't for years.

#16 Posted by Veektarius (4540 posts) -

@amafi: Most major console releases are currently being released on PC. Whether that will continue to be the case in the new gen, I don't know.

#17 Edited by Demoskinos (14519 posts) -

@vuud said:

Key word here is "looks" what it "feels" like is something entirely different.

#18 Posted by crithon (3052 posts) -

same guy, running the 3dmark on windows 7 on a second hdd

pretty much more powerful then 70% of what's out there, so it's not likely this thing will sell for 500 bucks on launch.

#19 Posted by Amafi (518 posts) -

@veektarius: For Windows though. Not linux. Which means the steam machine will only play them in one of two ways:

You already have a capable gaming PC running windows and you stream the game over your local network, or you buy a windows license for your steam machine.

Out of the box it can't play any of those titles.

#20 Posted by amirite (48 posts) -

@amafi: Most wiondows keys can be used multiple times. You can just use your existing Windows 7 key (for example) if you install Windows onto a Steam Machine.

#21 Edited by Amafi (518 posts) -

@amirite: If you don't mind stealing, sure. Unless you're a business with a MAK most keys (having come with a computer) can't be transferred to another computer even if the first computer is wiped.

This is slightly different with the windows 8 system builder license, but not much. Of course, if you just buy a windows license straight up you can move it to another computer as long as you don't have it installed on several machines at the same time, but I don't know anyone who's ever bought a windows retail key as a private person in real life.

Point still stands though. Without windows, either on the steam machine or on another machine on your network, these machines are about as useful for someone wanting to play AAA games as a toaster or a NES is.

#22 Posted by soulcake (245 posts) -

If valve only had the balls to make a console. You can buy laptops who are more powerful and cheaper. for the price off a ''steam machine'' what a disappointment.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.