Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Steam Mobile App, destroyer of batteries?

smiteofhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By smiteofhand

I got invited to the beta over the weekend and it has a feature to run all the time so you can get chat messages and junk. I turned it on and noticed my battery life drop significantly. My phone died before I had the sense to check the battery usage so it could be a coincidence. I am going to do a better test when I get home and it is fully charged. Curious if anyone else has noticed similar?

Android. I normally get 1-3 days out of a full charge depending on how much I use it. Full charge after running steam app phone was dead 5 - 6 hours later.

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By shinboy630

From what I can tell it doesn't use that much battery when just running in the background, but when chatting or browsing it can really drain it. I think your case might just be a coincidence, because on my phone it hasn't seemed to make that big of a difference.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I am using the android version as well, nexus running 4.0. I will try to get a screencap of the battery usage chart over the next few hours or so.

MrHurrDerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By MrHurrDerr

It definitely drains the battery. I'm using the Galaxy Nexus and though it reports only 3% battery usage my phone dropped like a rock with it running. In addition I kept it running while charging over night and it only reached 67% after 8 hours charging from 10%.

smiteofhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By smiteofhand

Left it running all day after a fresh charge and seems like it was just a coincidence. They did put an update out today so who knows if it fixed anything. It seemed like it was fine even before the update though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.