Steam OS Beta coming December 13th!

#1 Posted by endoworks (290 posts) -

http://www.engadget.com/2013/12/11/steam-os-available-decemeber-13th/

Anyone out there excited to install this on a home machine or do most duders plan to wait awhile? I'm considering trying some dual boot action once I see what all is involved with the install.

#2 Posted by MB (12715 posts) -

I'm going to wait until the major kinks are worked out and there are some stable drivers released.

"Unless you're an experienced Linux hacker, though, Valve recommends that you hold off until later next year to give it a shot."

Moderator Online
#3 Posted by Jacktrote (58 posts) -

And the question is perpetuated: What the fuck is the once Source-games developer doing with their time nowadays? Jesus..

..Anyway, I hope the OS will please those who are interested. I'll be using Win7 for the next few years, I'm pretty comfortable.

#4 Posted by believer258 (11986 posts) -

Wonder how it would run in a virtual machine?

#5 Posted by erhard (419 posts) -

Windows works fine.

#6 Posted by afabs515 (1180 posts) -

The way I see it, this is just like the new consoles: gotta wait a bit. i have some experience with linux, but i don't wanna install this until all the inevitable major bugs are resolved.

#7 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4418 posts) -

And the question is perpetuated: What the fuck is the once Source-games developer doing with their time nowadays? Jesus..

..Anyway, I hope the OS will please those who are interested. I'll be using Win7 for the next few years, I'm pretty comfortable.

Doing stuff better than solely making video games

#8 Posted by Belegorm (453 posts) -

I probably won't try it right away but I will be paying close attention to how it turns out; better be videos up after it launches about how it looks and works.

#9 Edited by EXTomar (4841 posts) -

Yes, anyone who has been around this stuff knows be excited but hold off on version 1.0 until it is well tested.

#10 Posted by Jacktrote (58 posts) -

@jacktrote said:

And the question is perpetuated: What the fuck is the once Source-games developer doing with their time nowadays? Jesus..

..Anyway, I hope the OS will please those who are interested. I'll be using Win7 for the next few years, I'm pretty comfortable.

Doing stuff better than solely making video games

Microsoft, for example, didn't neglect developing more Windows (as well as the rest of their products which unlike Windows are useless), in order to start making game consoles. They continued to Windows, while simultaneously branching further into something that is better than solely making Windows: creating a terrific line of game consoles.

Valve done fucked up with their focus. If they can't simultaneously do both, then they chose the wrong option to focus on IMO.

#11 Posted by Winternet (8025 posts) -

You know me, I'm Vincent "Experienced Linux Hacker" Caravella.

#12 Posted by EXTomar (4841 posts) -

@colourful_hippie said:

@jacktrote said:

And the question is perpetuated: What the fuck is the once Source-games developer doing with their time nowadays? Jesus..

..Anyway, I hope the OS will please those who are interested. I'll be using Win7 for the next few years, I'm pretty comfortable.

Doing stuff better than solely making video games

Microsoft, for example, didn't neglect developing more Windows (as well as the rest of their products which unlike Windows are useless), in order to start making game consoles. They continued to Windows, while simultaneously branching further into something that is better than solely making Windows: creating a terrific line of game consoles.

Valve done fucked up with their focus. If they can't simultaneously do both, then they chose the wrong option to focus on IMO.

Huh? This logic supposes Microsoft has done both well (have they really?) and Valve can not handle multiplatform (which they do) and that they are stopping development on their games to launch this (which they are not looking at the updates to CS:GO and Dota 2).

#13 Edited by rempresent (100 posts) -

I have a spare machine that I will try and run it on. Trying to see if I can get everything smoothly running up in the living room will be pretty interesting. I have spent a lot of time with Linux in college and on the side in my professional life but if it is an year out, it shouldn't be too hard to handle at this stage. Even if it is, Linux communities are willing to help and have lots of documents on almost any subject in that universe. It is all in the research.

#14 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4418 posts) -

@extomar said:

@jacktrote said:

@colourful_hippie said:

@jacktrote said:

And the question is perpetuated: What the fuck is the once Source-games developer doing with their time nowadays? Jesus..

..Anyway, I hope the OS will please those who are interested. I'll be using Win7 for the next few years, I'm pretty comfortable.

Doing stuff better than solely making video games

Microsoft, for example, didn't neglect developing more Windows (as well as the rest of their products which unlike Windows are useless), in order to start making game consoles. They continued to Windows, while simultaneously branching further into something that is better than solely making Windows: creating a terrific line of game consoles.

Valve done fucked up with their focus. If they can't simultaneously do both, then they chose the wrong option to focus on IMO.

Huh? This logic supposes Microsoft has done both well (have they really?) and Valve can not handle multiplatform (which they do) and that they are stopping development on their games to launch this (which they are not looking at the updates to CS:GO and Dota 2).

He's just mad that they're not making games that he wants to play

#15 Edited by ripelivejam (4276 posts) -

i'm so lacking the motivation to learn how to use linux (especially the command line), though it's something i really HAVE to learn for my work. maybe this will help.

#16 Posted by Snail (8615 posts) -

@extomar said:

@jacktrote said:

@colourful_hippie said:

@jacktrote said:

And the question is perpetuated: What the fuck is the once Source-games developer doing with their time nowadays? Jesus..

..Anyway, I hope the OS will please those who are interested. I'll be using Win7 for the next few years, I'm pretty comfortable.

Doing stuff better than solely making video games

Microsoft, for example, didn't neglect developing more Windows (as well as the rest of their products which unlike Windows are useless), in order to start making game consoles. They continued to Windows, while simultaneously branching further into something that is better than solely making Windows: creating a terrific line of game consoles.

Valve done fucked up with their focus. If they can't simultaneously do both, then they chose the wrong option to focus on IMO.

Huh? This logic supposes Microsoft has done both well (have they really?) and Valve can not handle multiplatform (which they do) and that they are stopping development on their games to launch this (which they are not looking at the updates to CS:GO and Dota 2).

I second this. It's misguided, ignorant, angry banter.

#17 Edited by Korwin (2890 posts) -

Might dump it onto a separate SSD and have a play, wonder if it's a openSUSE or Debian fork. Probably Debian since a lot of their early work was on Ubuntu.

#18 Posted by ripelivejam (4276 posts) -

maybe run it off a thumb drive? :fun:

#19 Posted by Budwyzer (598 posts) -

They're saying the Streaming is coming in later in a patch, so no I won't be installing it on the 13th. The streaming is the entirety of what I want out of SteamOS.

#20 Posted by chiablo (951 posts) -

@extomar said:

@jacktrote said:

@colourful_hippie said:

@jacktrote said:

And the question is perpetuated: What the fuck is the once Source-games developer doing with their time nowadays? Jesus..

..Anyway, I hope the OS will please those who are interested. I'll be using Win7 for the next few years, I'm pretty comfortable.

Doing stuff better than solely making video games

Microsoft, for example, didn't neglect developing more Windows (as well as the rest of their products which unlike Windows are useless), in order to start making game consoles. They continued to Windows, while simultaneously branching further into something that is better than solely making Windows: creating a terrific line of game consoles.

Valve done fucked up with their focus. If they can't simultaneously do both, then they chose the wrong option to focus on IMO.

Huh? This logic supposes Microsoft has done both well (have they really?) and Valve can not handle multiplatform (which they do) and that they are stopping development on their games to launch this (which they are not looking at the updates to CS:GO and Dota 2).

He's just mad that they're not making games that he wants to play

I remember reading somewhere that Gabe Newell does not want to make any more retail games. It's a very volatile market and they have been far more successful making DotA 2 and TF2 fun, approachable, and financially profitable.

At this point, the hype for HL3 is so huge that they could ship the most perfect game ever made, and people will be disappointed. The only game-related product I want to see out of them is Left 4 Dead 3, but with the same free-to-play model as TF2 and DotA2, or even a small up-front fee like CS:GO.

#21 Posted by TheHT (11513 posts) -

@chiablo: Just release a .txt file that finishes the Half-Life story, if that's really the route they want to go. Totally acceptable.

Online
#22 Edited by HotelDon (82 posts) -

I'm planning on waiting until my Steam Machine arrives in the mail on Monday.

#23 Edited by villainy (566 posts) -

I'm not expecting much to begin with but I'll absolutely give it a go. It'll be interesting to follow along and see how their idea of a user-friendly Linux evolves.

@theht said:

@chiablo: Just release a .txt file that finishes the Half-Life story, if that's really the route they want to go. Totally acceptable.

/home/gaben/.plan

#24 Posted by Jams (2962 posts) -

@korwin said:

Might dump it onto a separate SSD and have a play, wonder if it's a openSUSE or Debian fork. Probably Debian since a lot of their early work was on Ubuntu.

It's a custom distribution not based on Debian or any other distribution.

From Engadget:

As promised, the OS is built on Linux (not based on Ubuntu, we're told, but entirely custom), though you'd never know it as the only interactive layer is all Steam.

#25 Posted by crithon (3322 posts) -

worth a try, but even still valve has had rocky launches even on their own modest attempts. So taking it with a grain of salt.... they still haven't improved Big Picture mode since it's launch.

#26 Posted by Jay_Ray (1109 posts) -
@chiablo said:

@colourful_hippie said:

@extomar said:

@jacktrote said:

@colourful_hippie said:

@jacktrote said:

And the question is perpetuated: What the fuck is the once Source-games developer doing with their time nowadays? Jesus..

..Anyway, I hope the OS will please those who are interested. I'll be using Win7 for the next few years, I'm pretty comfortable.

Doing stuff better than solely making video games

Microsoft, for example, didn't neglect developing more Windows (as well as the rest of their products which unlike Windows are useless), in order to start making game consoles. They continued to Windows, while simultaneously branching further into something that is better than solely making Windows: creating a terrific line of game consoles.

Valve done fucked up with their focus. If they can't simultaneously do both, then they chose the wrong option to focus on IMO.

Huh? This logic supposes Microsoft has done both well (have they really?) and Valve can not handle multiplatform (which they do) and that they are stopping development on their games to launch this (which they are not looking at the updates to CS:GO and Dota 2).

He's just mad that they're not making games that he wants to play

I remember reading somewhere that Gabe Newell does not want to make any more retail games. It's a very volatile market and they have been far more successful making DotA 2 and TF2 fun, approachable, and financially profitable.

At this point, the hype for HL3 is so huge that they could ship the most perfect game ever made, and people will be disappointed. The only game-related product I want to see out of them is Left 4 Dead 3, but with the same free-to-play model as TF2 and DotA2, or even a small up-front fee like CS:GO.


As I understand, the inner workings of Valve are very unique. Unlike EA or Activision there is no "you must make this game" boss. Everyone does what they want and eventually that doing stuff turns into gameplay which turns into a game. If no one there wants to make Half-Life 3 then Half-Life 3 will not be made, they're off doing stuff they want to make (which mostly will never see the light of day since they can't make a game behind it).

#27 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (1084 posts) -

Yea I'll give it a go dual running, I don't know a lot about Linux but this should be a good chance to have a look see.

#28 Posted by Korwin (2890 posts) -

@jams said:

@korwin said:

Might dump it onto a separate SSD and have a play, wonder if it's a openSUSE or Debian fork. Probably Debian since a lot of their early work was on Ubuntu.

It's a custom distribution not based on Debian or any other distribution.

From Engadget:

As promised, the OS is built on Linux (not based on Ubuntu, we're told, but entirely custom), though you'd never know it as the only interactive layer is all Steam.

Oh I wasn't suggesting they haven't put significant work into tailoring Linux for their own needs, simply citing their early test bed. Ubuntu itself uses Debian package manager and the Steam client has been served up in .deb form on Linux until now, so it's likely that will be the package manager bundled up with the rest of the OS.

#29 Posted by Jams (2962 posts) -

@korwin said:

@jams said:

@korwin said:

Might dump it onto a separate SSD and have a play, wonder if it's a openSUSE or Debian fork. Probably Debian since a lot of their early work was on Ubuntu.

It's a custom distribution not based on Debian or any other distribution.

From Engadget:

As promised, the OS is built on Linux (not based on Ubuntu, we're told, but entirely custom), though you'd never know it as the only interactive layer is all Steam.

Oh I wasn't suggesting they haven't put significant work into tailoring Linux for their own needs, simply citing their early test bed. Ubuntu itself uses Debian package manager and the Steam client has been served up in .deb form on Linux until now, so it's likely that will be the package manager bundled up with the rest of the OS.

Well I guess we'll find out either way in 2 days. Woo!

#30 Edited by NoDeath (798 posts) -
#31 Edited by Forcen (1835 posts) -
#32 Posted by kamolahy (117 posts) -

I love to see enthusiastic early adopters. Partially to give life to a system, and partially to make it easy for me to sit back and watch while the kinks get ironed out and I can jump on later.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.