Steam refusing to connect?

#1 Posted by Vitor (2832 posts) -

Never had this happen before and even a restart hasn't solved the issue. I quit out of a game of DOTA and now Steam won't go online. In fact, it won't even launch. Anyone know whats up?

#2 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

@Vitor said:

Never had this happen before and even a restart hasn't solved the issue. I quit out of a game of DOTA and now Steam won't go online. In fact, it won't even launch. Anyone know whats up?

Did you lose the game?

#3 Posted by Vitor (2832 posts) -

@scarace360 said:

@Vitor said:

Did you lose the game?

Yeah, but I quit not because I lost but because I was stuck in the match after it ended. Wouldn't let me find another one.

Just deleted Steam's Client Registry Blob thing, restarted and now it works though.

Man, the hazards of having all your games on one service... If it goes down, you're totally screwed :|

#4 Posted by crusader8463 (14429 posts) -

When I get that error restarting Steam usually fixes it. If that still does not work then restart your whole PC. If that still does not work then just wait it out. I have had Steam do that from time to time but it never lasts long.

#5 Posted by buft (3320 posts) -

Ive had an issue lately where when i first boot up the PC steam says i cant cant connect, all i do is start steam again and the problem goes away but its annoying

#6 Posted by Stealthoneill (249 posts) -

This is happening to me right now and is really frustrating! Deleted ClientRegistry.Blob, restarted Steam and the whole computer but still says no connection. Annoyingly it allowed me to download a game so it obviously knows I've got a connection but isn't connecting to thee Friends/Social stuff so I can't play anything online!

Anyone know of any solutions?

#7 Posted by MattyFTM (14432 posts) -

@Stealthoneill: This is what's wrong with Steam at the moment.Zero users currently connected. The client is showing "NO CONNECTION", the website won't allow logins and is displaying prices in dollars. All kinds of messed up. Hopefully it'll be sorted out soon.

#8 Posted by bibamatt (1090 posts) -

They've said on their Facebook page that their usual maintenance is taking 'longer than usual'. Hopefully not too much longer!

#9 Posted by Fobwashed (2229 posts) -

Am I the only one that's relieved that Steam is down and not some other bullshit like my account having been hacked or something along those lines? -_-;;

#10 Posted by Demoskinos (15148 posts) -

Steam is down. Kotaku even has an article up about it. Not just you.

#11 Posted by kishinfoulux (2512 posts) -

This has been happening quite a bit,as of late. This has been the longest downtime though. I want to play Borderlands 2. :-/

#12 Posted by DeathbyYeti (767 posts) -

Steam goes down at least once a day

Sometimes for a few minutes and sometimes its a moment like this

#13 Posted by Tennmuerti (8174 posts) -

@MattyFTM said:

@Stealthoneill: This is what's wrong with Steam at the moment.Zero users currently connected. The client is showing "NO CONNECTION", the website won't allow logins and is displaying prices in dollars. All kinds of messed up. Hopefully it'll be sorted out soon.

Daumn.

I can still play the singleplayer games tho, which is nice :)

#14 Posted by Humanity (10072 posts) -

They should at least have a message on the main site. I went there and nothing, although I wasn't creative enough to check the stats for connected users.

Still nice if they had at least a prompt saying it's maintenance.

#15 Posted by Stealthoneill (249 posts) -

Thanks guys. Yeah would be nice to see something. I started to get a hint when visiting the help page and it was down. Would be nice to see a notice on login page or something though just so people know!

#16 Posted by bybeach (4996 posts) -

Yes steam is having some negative 'something' I'm a little leery of playing and not having my progress saved.

#17 Posted by kishinfoulux (2512 posts) -

It's back guys. ^_^

#18 Posted by Bane (453 posts) -

Borderlands lost and reestablished my connection to Steam several times over this past weekend, to the point I power-cycled my network to see if it was me. It wasn't, so I assumed their servers were just getting hammered.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.